Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festival gear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Can you post a link to the original auction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah, I've no come back on that avenue. A moment of stupidity unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ahhh thats bad luck with the camera sleepy, lesson learnt I suppose :(

See here for a Canonet wiring diagram if you wan't to try fix it yourself.

Alternatively just put it back up on Ebay as one with a broken meter and buy a cheap rangefinder

I've contacted the seller and we'll see if anything comes of that, if not, I'll just have to have a go at fixing it myself. Lots on the net about the type of problem I'm having so hopefully not the hardest job in the world.

You lose some, and you win some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You win some alright...

A while back I got a Mamiya 7 II with 80mm lens and about 50 rolls of 120 film (all in date) for €600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jpb1974 wrote: »
    You win some alright...

A while back I got a Mamiya 7 II with 80mm lens and about 50 rolls of 120 film (all in date) for €600.

ah steady on there now. There's no call for boasting !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Sleepy wrote: »
    Aye, I'm usually quite good with eBay. Had a bit of a 'rush of blood to the head' moment this time though and paying dearly for it!

Need to be strict with Ebay, I wanted an Olympus mju II for a long time and refused to pay over €50 for one.

Eventually, after 5 months of searching, I got one through adverts for €30

Same with rangefinders, I got an Olympus 35DC for €55 and recently won an Olympus 35SP for about €80 and both of those I feel I slightly overpaid for but the lenses are fantastic on both.

ah steady on there now. There's no call for boasting !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Where are the pics of this fest?

Marty McFly has them.

• Advertisement

In the future, the fest doesn't start for another nine hundred and twelve hours.

Seller agreed to a refund so gonna try find one in better nick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sweet!

Seller agreed to a refund so gonna try find one in better nick...
    I'd be wary of sending anything back unless you have filed an ebay dispute. They can just keep the camera and tell you to piss off only to sell it on to someone else. I would never trust a pawn broker.

Any opinions on which camera would have the better lens: Olympus OM-2n with a Zuiko 50 1.8 or the Canonet QL17 GIII?

I know the OM-2n is technically an SLR but it's compact size means I should be able to get away with it at EP...

Not sure how well the lenses compare but you can buy a whole range of lenses (and other accessories) to fit the OM series from Olympus's own Zuikos to 3rd party brands. Primes and Zooms.

Any opinions on which camera would have the better lens: Olympus OM-2n with a Zuiko 50 1.8 or the Canonet QL17 GIII?

I know the OM-2n is technically an SLR but it's compact size means I should be able to get away with it at EP...

Canonet is far cooler. :pac:

But seriously, it doesn't come under the 'detachable lens' category, which means you'll have no probs at EP, rather than trying to 'get away with it'.

But there ARE other options for fixed lens rangefinders - I have an Olympus 35RC and an Olympus XA too... But I'd definitely prefer the build quality and the lens on the Canon for EP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love an om2n; i have an om1n, which is a fantastic camera. cannot fault the lens, but i usually use a 50mm 1.4 with it.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Canonet is far cooler. :pac:
    Pretty much the type of shot I'm hoping to get at EP tbh!
    But seriously, it doesn't come under the 'detachable lens' category, which means you'll have no probs at EP, rather than trying to 'get away with it'.

But there ARE other options for fixed lens rangefinders - I have an Olympus 35RC and an Olympus XA too... But I'd definitely prefer the build quality and the lens on the Canon for EP.
    True, looked at the 35 RC and the f2.8 is putting me off when contrasting it with the Canonet's f1.7 and I know this is a ridiculous reason to rule something out but the XA is a hideous looking thing imho and not much difference price-wise to the Canonet...

i'd love an om2n; i have an om1n, which is a fantastic camera. cannot fault the lens, but i usually use a 50mm 1.4 with it.

There's an om2n with a 50 mm a 135mm and a flash on adverts at the moment that I was thinking of looking at... watching a QL17 GIII on ebay that looks good and is reasonable price-wise so far but has three days left on it and no BIN price...

• Advertisement

True, looked at the 35 RC and the f2.8 is putting me off when contrasting it with the Canonet's f1.7 and I know this is a ridiculous reason to rule something out but the XA is a hideous looking thing imho and not much difference price-wise to the Canonet...

:eek:

The XA is a beautiful wee thing!

That's why I added 'imho'... in the eye of the beholder and all that...

Ah I'm only kidding. The GIII's do look lovely too.

Here's a rundown of the competition for nice fixed RF's; http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

If you found a bargain Yashica Lynx 14, you'd be laughing too. Not many people know of them. The Yashica Electro 35 CC is another nice camera, with a 1.8 lens. And there's a Konica 1.6 that I know nothing about.

and I know this is a ridiculous reason to rule something out but the XA is a hideous looking thing imho

-searches for 'block' button-

Ah, I see Mr Higgins got in there before me ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the XA does nothing for me. it looks like a trinket from an 80s bond movie.

70's Bond...

• Advertisement

the XA does nothing for me. it looks like a trinket from an 80s bond movie.

-searches for 'block' button-

much as I hate to repeat myself :)

70's Bond...
    i know it was made in the 70s, but its the sort of look that is easily associated with the 80s.

Ah no, it's not kitch nor small enough for 80's Bond...

It's just not cool enough for Bond :p

Both the Yashica's you mentioned are currently on ebay for over $200 Al! Nice cameras though ;)

Had a long look at camera quest last night and without paying silly money it seems the Canonet is the best 70's rangefinder for what I want - fast, sharp, contrasty lens and a meter.

Feic, I saw one of the Yashica's go for near nothing a while back. I was stone broke at the time too :-/

• Advertisement

One think I do know is if you see a black Canonet QL17 GIII going for less than a hundred, grab it. Even if you've to spend another hundred getting it serviced, they go for over €300 due to their rarity!

It's just not cool enough for Bond :p

Both the Yashica's you mentioned are currently on ebay for over $200 Al! Nice cameras though ;)

The lynx 14 is GIGANTIC though, and weighs a ton. Try and find some comparison pictures of it beside some of the more compact rangefinders. It's probably bigger than some of the smaller SLRs.

Looks aside, for convenience sakes nothing beats the XA. You can take it out of a pocket, click back the cover and take a shot in a second, one handed. With the other hand you're holding a baby, you can see the attraction there for me :)

I really am loving the XA at the moment. I used always throw a RF into my bag, but the XA fits in my pocket.

One think I do know is if you see a black Canonet QL17 GIII going for less than a hundred, grab it. Even if you've to spend another hundred getting it serviced, they go for over €300 due to their rarity!

hah, yeah. And it looks sweet. Actually I'm currently wanting some sort of fairly modern AF compact body. Start looking into them, it's a whole new world of pain.

Fuji Natura
    Ricoh GR1/s
    Fuji Klasse.

The original Natura with the 24mm lens or the wider version of the Ricoh are lovely little cameras. But so so so very expensive. Bah.

I think there was a Fuji Natura on Adverts a while ago. Don't think it sold. :)

Edit; http://www.adverts.ie/203395/film-cameras/fuji-natura-classica-modern-35mm/

This may be a daft question but what's the point? Surely with such small lenses they can't compete with the 70's RF's for IQ?

Convenience is the biggest thing really. They'll take 3200iso too, which can help against the smaller apertures :)

I think there was a Fuji Natura on Adverts a while ago. Don't think it sold. :)

Yeah I think it was the other version though. There's that 24mm f/1.9 one, and then there's one with a 28->56 zoom lens.

Oh yes... The 1.9...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Olympus mju II is a great little autofocus camera, especially with the 35mm f2.8 lens.

Also there's a cheaper version of the Fuji Klasse under another name, Rollei AFM 35, it's the same camera.

Money no object? I'd go for a Contax T3 or a Leica CM

• Advertisement

duffarama wrote: »
    Olympus mju II is a great little autofocus camera, especially with the 35mm f2.8 lens.

Also there's a cheaper version of the Fuji Klasse under another name, Rollei AFM 35, it's the same camera.

Money no object? I'd go for a Contax T3 or a Leica CM

Yeah I should have added that I want at least some form of semi-manual, either shutter priority or preferably aperture priority with exp. compensation. I've considered the mju II once or twice all right, it has an enviable reputation. Didn't know about the Rollei, but again it's too expensive, although certainly cheaper than the klasse !

It's probably impossible what I'm looking for, cos I don't want to spend too much :rolleyes: I reserve big expenditures for my SLR and MF gear.

Picked up the OM-2n this evening, need to get batteries but it seems to have been extremely well minded. Lovely camera and came with a 50mm 1.8, a 135mm 3.5 and a T32 hot shoe flash for the grand sum of €60 :)

9D79CF9142BB48DB9CF0F46DA54FF09E-500.jpg

Also discovered that I left my battery adapter in the damn Canonet before returning it. D'oh!

where did you get it for that price?

Adverts.ie :)

Once you get past the incredibly offensive low offers some people post, adverts.ie is probably one of the best places to pick up older cameras.

'twas listed for €80, I thought €60 seemed fair. Don't know if I got a bargain or overpaid but I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Good deal tbh.

Picked up the OM-2n this evening,

Good camera, good deal.

Batteries are handy enough to come by for this. I think it uses 2 LR44s (not positive on that). I usually buy a bunch in bulk from this guy in the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-x-GP-A76-LR44-PX76A-Watch-Batteries-FREEPOST-UK-/300386733844?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item45f071cf14

You could pay about €5 for one in your local shop.

Adverts.ie :)
    arse, i would have bought it if i'd seen it.

• Advertisement

Batteries already ordered on ebay. Tried the local chemist for them last night with no joy. Might try get some in the local shop at lunch time but it'll be next week before I've time to shoot much with the camera anyway.

Advertisement