Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festival gear?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

arse, i would have bought it if i'd seen it.
    Sorry! Will give you first refusal if I'm selling it at any stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You should be able to use it in Manual Mode in the meantime (if you were pushed to do a test).

Use your digital to meter and then dial the settings into your Olympus. Obviously just make sure your film ISO matches.

If you want a couple of batteries anytime sooner I can send up a couple in today's post for free, you'd have them Monday. No worries if you're happy to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Good camera, good deal.

Batteries are handy enough to come by for this. I think it uses 2 LR44s (not positive on that). I usually buy a bunch in bulk from this guy in the UK:

You could pay about €5 for one in your local shop.

or worse ! I like to put silver oxide ones into my Bronica and FE-2. I got a whole pile of panasonic ones for 50c a pop on 7dayshop a while back, but you'll be lucky to pick them up for anything like that cheap normally.

Aye, I have those Panasonic one's too. Good price... savage expensive in the local shops.

Got 4 for a tenner on ebay...

Thanks for the offer jpb, very kind of you but I'd say I'll have some by this evening or tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Manual mode isn't really an option on the OM-2n - it has an electronic shutter. The main reason the OM-1n is still regarded as "the" camera from the range to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jpb1974 wrote: »
    You should be able to use it in Manual Mode in the meantime (if you were pushed to do a test).

Use your digital to meter and then dial the settings into your Olympus. Obviously just make sure your film ISO matches.

If you want a couple of batteries anytime sooner I can send up a couple in today's post for free, you'd have them Monday. No worries if you're happy to wait.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/om2/

Looks like if you don't have batteries you'll just lock up the mirror. The 'B' setting apparently is completely mechanical, but none of the timed settings will work. It's sorta like the FE-2 in that regard I guess, although that also works in 1/250 without batteries.

Ah... sorry about that. I thought the batteries were only required for the light meter. Didn't realize the shutter was electronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I just remembered I have an OM2 back in Waterford. I must really get around to using it.

Sounds like you need to do an inventory Al!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just remembered i have an OM10 at home. i really must use it to keep that swinging door open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Sleepy wrote: »
    Got 4 for a tenner on ebay...

Thanks for the offer jpb, very kind of you but I'd say I'll have some by this evening or tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Manual mode isn't really an option on the OM-2n - it has an electronic shutter. The main reason the OM-1n is still regarded as "the" camera from the range to have.

Wrong, that would be the OM3Ti, hand assembled too I believe.

I would have been sorely tempted had I seen that camera on adverts, I currenty have 9 cameras though, don't really want to hit double figures!

Welcome to the OM club by the way, great cameras, I've had an OM10 and adore my OM4Ti

Depends on who you ask really duffarama. The argumet for the OM-1n was it's the 'bulletproof' camera of the range due in large part to it's simplicity. The later models, while having far more features aren't as serviceable.

Thanks for welcome to the OM club... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sleepy wrote: »
    Will give you first refusal if I'm selling it at any stage.
    you won't be.

duffarama wrote: »
    Wrong, that would be the OM3Ti, hand assembled too I believe.
    the OM3Ti is notable for the fact that they're worth about ten or twenty times what any other OM camera would set you back now, i believe. they were too expensive when they came out, and had nothing to distinguish themselves (apart from a completely mechanical shutter) from the OM4Ti, which was cheaper and already established. so very few were ever sold.

They all use the same lenses (and film) so why you'd pay 10 times the price for an OM3Ti or OM4Ti would be beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

The rarity and expense of the OM3Ti would go against it!!

It has the advanced spot metering but it can also be used in full manual mode without the bells and whistles.

@DaireQ: I got some of my first few rolls from my mju II printed yesterday and some of the photos just blew me away, beautiful colours, sharp images, some good low light shots too.
    I'd struggle to match it with a camera with more manual control!!

the main difference between the OM3Ti and 4Ti is that the 3Ti will work without batteries (albeit without metering).
    a bit like the OM1...

i see an XA went recently on adverts.ie. must have been a bond fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Wasn't sure if I should've started a new thread but sure it's a gig related thread so...

Last year I had a Photo pass for Rebellion 2009 the worlds biggest Punk Rock festival in The Winter Gardens Blackpool, this year I've gone 1 step further and got an AAA pass for it. :)

The good news on having the AAA pass is besides trying to get intimate band shots of them in their 'white room' there is millions of complimentary cans of lager! Punks are thirsty people!!

But my main point is some help on choosing what lens to bring..

So I'm am not sure what lens exactly to bring this year as I might get away with non flash on the biggest stage*
    There are 5-6 stages in total but 3 def I'll have to use a flash for the type of shots I prefer.
    So 70-200 f4 vs f2.8...f4 is light but 2.8 will be better, unless I bring my 1.4 extender and slap that onto the 135L 2.0 and I'll then have almost 200mm and still a f2.8 and razor sharp AF to boot.

Another lens choice giving me a headache on what to bring is the 16-35L vs 24-70L, as the main stage again is very wide...I'm leaning towards the 16-35L II.

For a prime again its between the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8, I trust the 85 a bit more...

bpflyer.gif

Any suggestions I'd be interested in.

*Where the Darts world championship finals are held every December

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Wasn't sure if I should've started a new thread but sure it's a gig related thread so...

Last year I had a Photo pass for Rebellion 2009 the worlds biggest Punk Rock festival in The Winter Gardens Blackpool, this year I've gone 1 step further and got an AAA pass for it. :)

The good news on having the AAA pass is besides trying to get intimate band shots of them in their 'white room' there is millions of complimentary cans of lager! Punks are thirsty people!!

But my main point is some help on choosing what lens to bring..

So I'm am not sure what lens exactly to bring this year as I might get away with non flash on the biggest stage*
    There are 5-6 stages in total but 3 def I'll have to use a flash for the type of shots I prefer.
    So 70-200 f4 vs f2.8...f4 is light but 2.8 will be better, unless I bring my 1.4 extender and slap that onto the 135L 2.0 and I'll then have almost 200mm and still a f2.8 and razor sharp AF to boot.

Another lens choice giving me a headache on what to bring is the 16-35L vs 24-70L, as the main stage again is very wide...I'm leaning towards the 16-35L II.

For a prime again its between the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8, I trust the 85 a bit more...

bpflyer.gif

Any suggestions I'd be interested in.

*Where the Darts world championship finals are held every December

F*** me thats some line up...

I'ver had AAA passes before for photography and getting into artist area to take snaps is usually not possible, AAA passes are null void in dressing rooms, unless its a back stage white room, even still, usually you need a production AAA or dressing room specific acreditation. looks like an awesome oppertunity, some bangin ska punk going on on that line up

• Advertisement

F*** me thats some line up...

I'ver had AAA passes before for photography and getting into artist area to take snaps is usually not possible, AAA passes are null void in dressing rooms, unless its a back stage white room, even still, usually you need a production AAA or dressing room specific acreditation. looks like an awesome oppertunity, some bangin ska punk going on on that line up

I'm 90% sure I'll be ok, I sneaked in last year lol and guzzled a few cans, that btw was some massive white room so ur probably half right, I dunno if they even have personal dressing rooms, if they do I wouldn't bother them unless it was bands who I know and I've got to know a few, I also want to balance it out with having a good craic over there with me mates, about 40-60 Irish I know are going over....there will probably be a few culchies too going over. :p

The beauty of Punk Rock is its mostly DIY, they are just normal people, most are not prima donnas like commercial music...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The beauty of Punk Rock is its mostly DIY, they are just normal people, most are not prima donnas like commercial music...

aye aye i hear ya.

i'm hitting leeds... dying to photo these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfJhnzaIAPM

im seriously wearing a gum shield to the gig

Interesting band that, I don't know them but already can picture the 'dancing'
    Hardcore.... with some rap and erm electronic, some mix that!
    The forums I use for Punk and HC/Metal (Eirecore/Thumped) these would probably known, I only know Punk Rock and Oi (skinhead music)

One of the reasons I took up Videoing and then later Photography was I was getting bolloxed dancing after 1 song, pogoing takes a lot out of ya, why I also love the Photo pass, I have all the time in the world to watch the band, I also get a lot of beer being thrown over me though as Punks for some unknown reason like to throw beer at the artists and me being at the front...You could get drunk sniffing my hair. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

That is what a former boss of mine used to call "a high-class problem" :-)

yep, the paradox of choice. bring one lens.

yep, the paradox of choice. bring one lens.
    My post might've seemed like me boasting, was not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Nah...I didn't take it that way. I was just thinking about how your problem was a good one to have, and not really a problem at all!

Nah...I didn't take it that way. I was just thinking about how your problem was a good one to have, and not really a problem at all!
    I got into photography xmas 2007 and in 12 months bought most of my gear, lost my job then and boy am I glad I was so addicted that I bought virtually everything in 1 year, I've also wheeled and dealed a few lens, half were bought 2nd hand but tbh they were more immaculate then brand new!

i wasn't getting at that; what i meant was having too much choice can be paralyzing, and you end up less satisfied than you would if you had a much narrower choice. i think it's affecting photography far more these days than it used to.

• Advertisement

i wasn't getting at that; what i meant was having too much choice can be paralyzing, and you end up less satisfied than you would if you had a much narrower choice. i think it's affecting photography far more these days than it used to.
    I can subscribe to that, I'm also very indesceive in RL besides Photography, Even now I can't figure out wether to go for a few pints/ Get a Veg Kebab or just stay in and watch a film, but then maybe just get the Kebab and film.
    Decisions decisions....

well worth a watch; not about photography, but a lot of what he has to say is applicable.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6127548813950043200#

i have been using a fisheye last few gigs... works great at night, serious light leaks during the day tho.

nighttime

4848941413_45abcb880f_z.jpg

compared to

daytime

4848931627_eed0f28c51_z.jpg

basically messed up serious amounts of shots... not too pleased

Shay who posts here uses a fisheye for gigs and he gets some great shots.

Shay who posts here uses a fisheye for gigs and he gets some great shots.

shays fisheye is 800 quid... mine was 20 off ebay, its a lomo, lol

aahh right lol.

• Advertisement

Aye, fisheye lenses are something I'll investigate when I've a few hundred burning a hole in my pocket (i.e. a long time from now after I win the Lotto!), just wouldn't use one enough to make it worth the investment.

It's my 30th today and my friends clubbed together to get me the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for my dSLR, buhbye kit lens! :D

You have nice friends, my friends would chip in to buy me a Pint!

That I do!

Advertisement