Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bones

Options
  • 19-07-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Bit of a daft question....
    I cooked a bone from the butcher for the dog, just wondering if it should be thrown out after a couple of days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

You should never give a cooked bone to a dog... it could shatter and stick in their throat or even worse, in their stomach/intestines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Really? It's like one of those massive bones that the pet shop sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

It's entirely up each individual of course, I'd never give my dog a cooked bone. I wouldn't risk it.

I don't think a pet shop would sell a cooked bone?

Maybe they are raw ones.....thank you. I will throw this one away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

magnumlady wrote: »
    Maybe they are raw ones.....thank you. I will throw this one away.

Raw bones are fine.. my guy has his bones for weeks in the garden... they are especially tastey when they are fermented in the soil....and covered in worms - i know he's rotten... i try and wash them off he goes mad :D

but def not cooked bones.... they are too soft

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

What are the best raw bones to give a dog? I gave one of mine a raw marrow bone and he ended up throwing up chunks/shards of bone about 2 hours later!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kalie

cocker5 wrote: »
    Raw bones are fine.. my guy has his bones for weeks in the garden... they are especially tastey when they are fermented in the soil....and covered in worms - i know he's rotten... i try and wash them off he goes mad :D

Mines the same, the dirtier the better. I usually take it off her after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Supervision/moderation is the key.

Marrow is very fatty/oily, an overdose will make your dog sick. The bone itself, if too much is eaten, will lead to (painful and potentially dangerous) blockages in the digestive tract.

Knuckle bones or marrow bones are best ...the bigger the better so that the whole thing can't accidentally be swallowed in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Raw chicken, bones and all is great. Cleans their teeth too. We got large turkey bones yesterday and both dogs are very happy and busy; collie woke me up last night demanding out to bury hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I also give mine raw chicken drumsticks. Great for cleaning their teeth. My smaller dogs get chicken wings. They are in heaven when they see me coming with the chicken tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I had a collie who had a nasty habit of swallowing chicken drumstick bones whole (she'd eat the meat off it first, and then swallow it), so I stopped giving them to her very quickly. As a result, and as mentioned by previous posters, the bigger the bone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

DON'T FEED YOUR DOG BONES PLEASE!!! If I had a euro for every dog that came into us with constipation or vomiting or some other problem related to feeding them bones I would be a very wealthy woman. Bone is indigestible they get nothing from it apart from something to chew, give them rawhide stuff instead. It doesn't last as long but its digestible. Giving a dog blocked with bone an enema is awful and its agony for them afterwards too, plus there is always the bill afterwards to think of too. You run the risk of giving them megacolon if they get blocked often enough too...And chicken bones are the worst they shatter into shards not great for all that soft tissue that the oesophagus is made from...Great for cleaning teeth...give them dried food if you want their teeth to be cleaned or get a toothbrush and clean them yourself, outside only inside is cleaned by the way the teeth are lined up, you can get flavoured toothpastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Tryst wrote: »
    DON'T FEED YOUR DOG BONES PLEASE!!! If I had a euro for every dog that came into us with constipation or vomiting or some other problem related to feeding them bones I would be a very wealthy woman. Bone is indigestible they get nothing from it apart from something to chew, give them rawhide stuff instead. It doesn't last as long but its digestible. Giving a dog blocked with bone an enema is awful and its agony for them afterwards too, plus there is always the bill afterwards to think of too. You run the risk of giving them megacolon if they get blocked often enough too...And chicken bones are the worst they shatter into shards not great for all that soft tissue that the oesophagus is made from...Great for cleaning teeth...give them dried food if you want their teeth to be cleaned or get a toothbrush and clean them yourself, outside only inside is cleaned by the way the teeth are lined up, you can get flavoured toothpastes.

How is it then that you can feed a BARF diet?? Cooked bones are bad alright but raw is fine. I know several dogs that are fed a BARF diet and are very healthy dogs with very little waste coming out so it obviously is digestible.

This is b*****sh_t! Utter and totally. Raw bones are fine. Period; we have been feeding raw and bones for four decades to our dogs and cats and never a problem, not once.

RAW bones do not shatter; they are chewed and digested. REALLY! So many of us have said this. And still?

RAW is totally natural; and dogs are natural creatures; in the wild they do not fillet their prey. Or cook it. Or die from eating RAW bones.

Dried food is not good for dogs in large quantities either.

REALLY!

I met a German man on a beach here with two Irish Wolfhounds who was terrified to give them any bones, even the huge ones, because his vet had spoken as you do. Either he had misunderstood the vet or the vet was ....

I have four critters here who thrive on almost exclusive raw food and bones and are heathey and full of zest with good teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

In the wild dogs crack the bones to eat the marrow inside they don't eat the entire carcass. Either he misunderstood the vet or the vet was repeating what he learned in college as I am right now, so either all those generations of vets are wrong or it is better for dogs not to eat bone...And dogs are domesticated animals, have been for a while now so comparing them to a wild animal is pointless. A lot of wild carnivores also die from having bones stuck in their throats or somewhere in their digestive tracts. It's a risk not a gaurantee and having dealt with a ridiculous number of patients who have come in with problems relating to having eaten bone why feed it to them when there are plenty of safer alternatives? But of course your experience with your dogs is the be all and end all when it comes to these things, I am obviously in the wrong...I only have many many cases to draw my experience from...
    Any kind of food is not good for dogs in large quatities. The dried food should be measured out and fed to the weight of the animal in two daily allowances, it means it's easier to keep an eye on how calories the dog/cat is taking in and helps reduce the incidents of obesity. So when fed to an animal correctly there is no problem with dried food, but if you are just going to give them the bag and say have at it then yes there would be an issue. Dried food is better value than wet also as it's not 60-70% water...so you can feed them less ( you'd need to feed many tins/pouches of wet food to give them the same caloric value) and they get the same nutritional value out of it.

In the wild dogs crack the bones to eat the marrow inside they don't eat the entire carcass. Either he misunderstood the vet or the vet was repeating what he learned in college as I am right now, so either all those generations of vets are wrong or it is better for dogs not to eat bone...And dogs are domesticated animals, have been for a while now so comparing them to a wild animal is pointless. A lot of wild carnivores also die from having bones stuck in their throats or somewhere in their digestive tracts. It's a risk not a gaurantee and having dealt with a ridiculous number of patients who have come in with problems relating to having eaten bone why feed it to them when there are plenty of safer alternatives? But of course your experience with your dogs is the be all and end all when it comes to these things, I am obviously in the wrong...I only have many many cases to draw my experience from...
    Any kind of food is not good for dogs in large quatities. The dried food should be measured out and fed to the weight of the animal in two daily allowances, it means it's easier to keep an eye on how calories the dog/cat is taking in and helps reduce the incidents of obesity. So when fed to an animal correctly there is no problem with dried food, but if you are just going to give them the bag and say have at it then yes there would be an issue. Dried food is better value than wet also as it's not 60-70% water...so you can feed them less ( you'd need to feed many tins/pouches of wet food to give them the same caloric value) and they get the same nutritional value out of it.

Well, yes; most of us would trust FOUR DECADES of feeding raw food and bones to literally hundreds of dogs and cats rather than a student.

With narry a problem. Odd that isn't it?

Your arguments are simply not valid - you have nuch to learn, grasshopper!

Theory v. experience is no contest.

Period!

off to give the dogs RAW BONES and RAW CHICKEN WINGS to the cats.. YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Have to agree with Graces7. Us oldies have a lot of experience under our belts. All my 6 dogs have raw bones and never a problem.
    Talking with my vet one day, I told him this. He thought it was a bad idea, he would never do it. So i asked him what does he do with his greyhounds that other vets would not agree with. He gave his dogs milk. I would never do this.
    So different stroke for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Dried food does not clean teeth, if it did then there would be very few dogs or cats with dental problems. My cat was on a near exclusively dry food diet for her first 3 and a half years, she now has the beginnings of gum disease at 5 years old, I have since done a lot of research and she is now on a near exclusively wet diet. By your thinking her teeth up until I changed her food should have been spotlessly clean.
    My dog gets the odd chicken wing now and again, he loves them and he's never had any problems.

Are these problems that your seeing from dogs eating cooked or raw bones? :confused:

Advertisement