Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments on my proposed system.

• 19-07-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm building a new house and I'm getting to the stage where I really need to decide what system I'm using.

My plan is for 4 AV zones with 1 subzone of just audio.

I've been looking at Sonos and really like the simplicity of it. I can also just about live with the price. Ideally I'd have a 'Sonos style' system that could handle video as well but unfortunately I can't seem to find anything appropriate, so I've decided to split my system in 2.

My four AV zones are:
    Sitting room.
    Sonos ZP90
    Philips 3154 (already own this so just putting it to use)
    40" HDTV

Kitchen.
    Sonos ZP120
    2 x Bookshelf speakers (€200 budget)
    32" HDTV (not connected to the Sonos

Master Bedroom
    Sonos ZP120
    2 x Bookshelf speakers (€200 budget)
    Philips 50" HDTV (already own this so just putting it to use)

Cinema Room
    Sonos ZP90
    Home Theater system (€500 budget)
    Philips 50" HDTV (or equivalent Budget Approx. €750-€1000)
    HD Projector (already own this so just putting it to use)

Sub zone Audio

Bathroom
    Sonos ZP120
    2 x ceiling speakers (Budget €200 approx.)

Can people comment on this and give any advice about what components they consider would be best for my budget?

Also can people comment on what speaker wire would be best to wire in all the speakers. Because I am just building i want to have all wires hidden. Where can I buy decent quality cabling in bulk and at a decent price? Is Cat 5 enough to run between my router and the Sonos ZP's or should I go Cat 5e or even Cat 6?
    I'm relatively clueless about HE in general but I think the above system would be the best way to get the Sonos style that I like and also incorporate my Video into it as much as possible, in the zones where its important (Cinema room and Sitting room). If you think I'm wrong please comment.

Its not an expensive system compared to some others that are on here but I feels its adequate for what I want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Hi Quazzie,

Can I just ask why you have opted for audio only media players in your av zones. If what you want to create is audio/video zones you might be better off with some of these in your zones rather than the Sonos units. Sonos is a good system but is audio only. I'm all for splitting video and audio distribution systems in two but it seems to me what you want is a network of media players as opposed to a distribution system,and if that is the case why not buy media players that will do everything.

With regard to your speaker cabling, everyone has their own opinions but all I ever worry about is the cross sectional area of the cable. I would usually use something equivalent to a 1.5 square for multiroom systems and 2.5 square for cinema rooms. When talking about speaker cable specifically it would be 49 and 79 strand respectivley.

For the category cabling again in my opinion for domestic situations decent 5e is adequate. As long as the runs are no more than 30 mtrs you will be able to distribute hdmi over it. Also check out hdmi over ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks for the great advice regarding the cabling for the speakers and the cat5e.

The reason I've gone for a split system over a combined system like popcorn is that I absolutely love how the Sonos is controlled. The controlling via the iPhone is amazing and for me that alone justifies the split. If I could find a combined system with the same type of controls for the same budget then I'd happily go for it but (and I might be wrong) I don't think such a thing exists.

Ok I can understand that. So reallly what your after is IPhone control. What about Apple TV. I'm not trying to talk you out of Sonos here but maybe you need to see some more options. One way or another your gonnna end up with a media player in each of these zones so the wiring is the same. Just include an hdmi lead from player position to screen and your covered. Also have a look here switch stuff on and off via web browser/iphone. Lights, heating etc..

knx wrote: »
    Ok I can understand that. So reallly what your after is IPhone control. What about Apple TV.
    I considered that but I think (might be wrong) thats its very restrictive outside the US.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of Sonos here but maybe you need to see some more options.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be talked out of Sonos. I know its far from what I need, but in terms of how i interract with the system its definitely the closest to what I want.
    One way or another your gonnna end up with a media player in each of these zones so the wiring is the same. Just include an hdmi lead from player position to screen and your covered. Also have a look here switch stuff on and off via web browser/iphone. Lights, heating etc..
    In terms of media players I was thinking of XMBC, with an XBox in each zone linked back to a NAS, which means I have full functionality on two systems through my iPhone. I'd have a media app and an audio app. As controls for other rooms I wouldnt be against a few iPod Touches as deicated controls.

Just to clarify on the wiring for the XMBC. If I went with an XBox in each zone so that each zone can watch different media, should I store all the XBoxs together in my media cabinet and then run HDMI to the zones or should I store them seperate in the zones and just run a Cat5e back to the NAS? Cat5e is considerably cheaper than long lengths of HDMI. Also just to clarify can the Xbox output HDMI or would I need to get Xbox 360's to do this? Again one is considerably cheaper than the other so it affects finances.

Think you'll be needing xbox 360 s. I'd be puttin all in a media closet except for the cinema room. Does the xbox play blurays though. Would playstations not be a better choice. Also why do you need the sonos units if this is what your going to do. Won't the xbox play music files as well. And if you have an app to control them via Iphone then problem solved.

• Advertisement

My plan was to have Sonos as a dedicated Audio system but to have the XMBC as a supplementary system running off the same NAS.

The idea was to have a bluray player seperate to the system as I'll load all my discs onto the NAS. Then the Xbox's would be used just for distribution around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Quazzie wrote: »
    The reason I've gone for a split system over a combined system like popcorn is that I absolutely love how the Sonos is controlled. The controlling via the iPhone is amazing and for me that alone justifies the split. If I could find a combined system with the same type of controls for the same budget then I'd happily go for it but (and I might be wrong) I don't think such a thing exists.

If you don't mind dropping a little of the SONOS functionality (e.g. Internet radio), then the Popcorn Hour may be a better bet. There are 3rd party addons out there (e.g. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=42565) that allow you to control the system via an iPhone and lot's of other addons to make it in to a complete media centre.

Advertisement