Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a system with low heat output?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I currently run

E6600
    Striker extreme Motherboard
    4x2GB
    GX260 graphics
    cant recall the PSU - but its big and shiney and expensive

My problem is that the heat output is massive - the whole room heats up to really uncomfortable levels. So i'm not trying to cool things down within the box itself really - just trying to reduce the overall heat generated.

Any advice on what hardware is likely causing the heat? And what way I should go to avoid this (I recognise I will probably need to replace lots of hardware).

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Either something is wrong with the machine, or the room in question is suffering from extremely poor ventilation which is harming both you and the PC! :o

What (if any) OC/overvolt settings do you have? What CPU cooler is moving air through it? Exactly what model PSU is that in there? What case do you have and what/what setting fans are currently installed and running? And do you have anything unusual in there?? (Peltier cooler, big RAID array, amplifier card?) :confused:

The CPU, GPU and PSU will be the main heat producers in a rig. If they are not well cooled they can become hot and less efficient, producing yet more heat! This is why the CPU cooler in particular is a science in itself. Also, airflow and ventilation are key factors. A well-cooled case will have lots of air coming in and going out. The same amount of heat will be produced, but the apparent heat is drastically reduced as the fans keep it constantly on the move away from you and the PC while relentlessly drawing more cool air in.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you live in Ireland, open the window :p it does seem to point to a circulation issue. are there any extraction vents in the room?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pc-on-fire.jpg

Tell us what fans are where and where the air is flowing through the case. Post some pics if you can and maybe we can spot something if we're totally lost

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.technibble.com/case-cooling-the-physics-of-good-airflow/

http://www.custompcbuild.com/pc_cooling.html

the first article makes an interesting read on positive and negative coefficient airflow. I learned something anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

PSU is a Corsair 750W TX

Case is standard Mini-tower ATX

Air flow is 2x front low mounted 80mm inflow fans at front
    1x side mounted inflow 800m
    2 upper rear mounted exhaust
    1 roof mounted exhaust

so basically, the standard front to back/bottom to top with air being dragged over memory and CPU area's.

As I was hoping to make clear, I don't have a problem with my machine overheating itself - mroe that the ambient temperatures created heat the room up too much.

I guess basically I am hoping someone out there had some specific advice on what chipset, CPU memory combo etc was able to run at very low temperatures.

Thanks for all replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Air flow is 2x front low mounted 80mm inflow fans at front
    1x side mounted inflow 800m
    2 upper rear mounted exhaust
    1 roof mounted exhaust

so basically, the standard front to back/bottom to top with air being dragged over memory and CPU area's.
    Just how big is this case??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BigEejit wrote: »
    Just how big is this case??

69977main_WindTunnel_fig1.gif

Advertisement