Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB giving phone no's to 3rd parties

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

The other day I recieved a "cold call" when I asked where they got my number I was told the ESB supplied it.
    I specifically stated to the ESB my number was NOT to be passed on to third parties and find this totally unacceptable.
    This is my PRIVATE mobile number and I find this behavior totally disgracefull.
    I will be ringing the ESB later but want to discuss this on a public forum first.
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Cu Giobach,

I am very sorry to hear of this, but I assure you that under no circumstances would ESB Customer Supply pass on such details to a third party.

If you would PM me the details of the company/individual who contacted you, we will have the matter investigated forthwith.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

OK. Unfortunately all I know is they were some marketing/survey company,
    I was so incensed at the time I dont remember their name or any details.
    I accept your stated position that you dont pass on details and thank you for the swift reply.
    They must have lied (hopefully) about where they got my no' .
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Cu Giobach I got a call recently from a company that told me they got my number from ESB, but it was about the free energy survey that I had done last year, is that maybe what your call was about? I presumed it was normal. they just asked me a couple of questions about the survey and what i thought of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Cu Giobach,

We appreciate customers bringing such matters to our attention, and I understand why you felt incensed; abuse of a customer's voluntarily provided private information is not acceptable.

We adhere to strict standards of data protection and would never wish to see your information passed on to a third party that bear no direct relation to us.
    starfish12 wrote: »
    Cu Giobach I got a call recently from a company that told me they got my number from ESB, but it was about the free energy survey that I had done last year, is that maybe what your call was about? I presumed it was normal. they just asked me a couple of questions about the survey and what i thought of it

Just to clarify, any company/individual that contacts a customer stating that they obtained their details from ESB is doing so at our own request; effectively they would be working on our behalf.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement