Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attaching a trellis to a concrete wall

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all

Advice needed for a DIY rookie !!

Want to attached a V shaped wood trellis to a "ordinary" concrete wall

its light wood , bought from homebase, and the holes for attaching the trellis to the wall are about the width of match stick(slightly wider but not much)

What is the best and proper way to attach it to a concrete wall ?

Option 1: do i just buy a few masonary nails and hammer it into the wall ?or
    Option 2: drill holes, put in proper rawl plugs and screw it to the wall?

With Option 1; i know i have to buy masonary nails but when hammering the nail in does the concrete "flake/chip" etc which might affect the ability of the trellis staying on the wall?

If its option 2 , I have a hammer drill/driver but have never used it b4, have done a few jobs around the house with a ordinary drill/driver

i have protective goggles and gloves . Is using a hammer drill "hard" etc etc

Option 1 looks/sounds "easier" but i need advice. I dont want to put something up and have it fall down etc .

many thanks for any advice given

STBW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Attach a pressure treated 2"x1" baton to the wall with express nails and the screw the trellis to that.

To use express nails simply hold baton in place and drill through it and the wall with a bit the size recommended on the box. Then belt it with a hammer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

For the plants to wind their little fingers around it, it needs to be a centimetre or two out from the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Make it easy to remove for maintenance or for when the trellis rots. I always fix them with plugs & galvanised screws. I put a little piece of wood behind each fixing point to bring the trellis away from the wall. This works well on house walls as it is easy to unscrew the trellis & carefully lay it flat to allow painting of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Using a hammer drill is not difficult, I am a woman of, ahem, mature years and I have used/still use one (and also a hand held circular saw, but I admit I find it a bit scary :D) for years. Its not really any different to using an ordinary drill, except it vibrates a bit and is noisier.

I don't know what the experts would say, but I would not use gloves to handle a drill, it would make you clumsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Soontobewed

Many thanks to all for the advice, appreciated .last question: does it matter where i drill the holes ? ie can i drill into the seam ?(the area betwen the concrete blocks) or should it be into the concrete block itself ? sorry if its a silly question but am a diy rookie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Into the block is better for the long term strength of the wall

Advertisement