Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Starting Out

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey guys im just starting out fishing again. I have got a new 9.5ft rod as i will only be going fishing off rocks, piers and boats rarely. Im wondering for mackeral what is the best line set-up and where is the best place really.

At present I am using a 4 feather line with a 1oz weight and fishing off the rocks just up from collimore harbour. Havent had the best luck so far ha, have caught 2 baby mackeral, 3 sole and 3 eels somehow.

Just looking for any tips people may have to help me along.

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Go down to the end of the west pier in Dun laoghaire and you'll get mackerel.Get a few 2 or 3 ounce weights, a couples sets of feathers. Tie the weight to would end of the line of feathers with a swivel and a swivel to the main line and your on your way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cftb_11

thanks for the advice to you mean set up the line like 4 feather then a spinner then a 2oz or 3oz weight.

does a float or anything matter at all ?

what about using bait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Me personally I would have a set of feathers with just a weight although I was at Dun laoghaire on sunday and a lad beside me pulled in a good sized mackerel he was using a spinner as a weight at the bottem of his feathers.Its your choice

When using feathers you dont need bait but some people like to

As for a float I suppose you could use one I would use mackerel strips/chunks for bait set about 4 foot of line between the float and the hook

Advertisement