Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dspca called last friday

Options
  • 19-07-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi Guys I'm a proud owner of a 3 year old boxer whom I love and adore.

On Friday a man called from the dspca saying there has been a complaint of me not feeding the dog.

She's a little fat pudding if anything.

Everything went ok but I rang up and they wouldn't tell me who it was only that it was a woman.

Is there anyway I can get any more information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I doubt it, as far as I'm aware they keep it annonymous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No. If they would give that information then nobody would make complaints where dogs are genuinely being neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

It's crazy why do people bother making false complaints. Hiding behind a phone afraid to confront someone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Under the data protection act you would be entitled to know the particulars of any complaint made about you, but that does not need to include the name of the person who made the complaint.

The only way you could secure more information would be via court order, but it's possible that the DSPCA don't make a note of who made the complaint in the first place, so that would be useless.

Note that the DSPCA aren't a statutory body and have no powers of entry or seizure. If more complaints are made, the inspectors will attempt to contact you to talk to you about your dog, at which point they will see that the dog is well loved and cared for and will not entertain any more complaints about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Are you sure they had the right house? It's bizarre for someone to make a false complaint for no reason - unless there's someone near you who might be underfeeding their dog and the dspca got the wrong house? (Did the DSPCA dude show you any ID by the way?)

• Advertisement

Hi sweep. Ye he showed me his flip wallet he had the ambulance parked outside.

Defo the right address first thing he said is this x address and do u own a boxer dog.

Funny thing was she was in bed with me at the time so I told him to come in and shouted the dogs name to come and she launched down the stairs jumping all over him as happy as larry so he couldn't really say much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Is there anyone that might have a problem with you and did this to piss you off?
    Did you ask for ID from the man?

If it was a complaint against you and it sounds like your dog is very well looked after then the person that complained about you is nothing but a time waster. Very annoying when the DSPCA man could have been out dealing with genuine problems.

I cant imagine anyone thats why I rang to ask ya know. Ye he was a bit pissed alright having to come out to Lusk from rathfarnham. The lady on the phone said it happens a lot more times then genuine calls.

He took a pic of the dog and the long garden for his report and that was that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

This happens all the time. If I had a fiver each time someone tried to get his neighbour etc into trouble by calling me to a *starving horse or dog* I'd be rich by now, which is why I will not entertain anonymous reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I know you said your dog is fat if anything, but you know how boxers can look lean and people think they're underweight sometimes, when they're fine.

So maybe someone thought your dog looked underweight because they don't know much about boxers.

Or maybe they saw another boxer in the neighbourhood that looked thin and thought it was yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I don't have much faith in the DSPCA.
    I girl I kinda know (we adopted some rats from her before) has a lot of pets/rescues animals there.
    Tried to report a pet shop for keeping sick animals in terrible conditions and not properly sexing the animals. DSPCA point-blank refused to even go and look, saying they knew the pet shop owner, and it couldn't possibly be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I don't have much faith in the DSPCA.
    I girl I kinda know (we adopted some rats from her before) has a lot of pets/rescues animals there.
    Tried to report a pet shop for keeping sick animals in terrible conditions and not properly sexing the animals. DSPCA point-blank refused to even go and look, saying they knew the pet shop owner, and it couldn't possibly be true.

Well just maybe they did know the owner or had inspected it before. Sorry but I know who I'd trust the between the DSPCA and a girl you "kinda know" :rolleyes:

OP I'd be inclined to think along the lines of others here that someone possibly confused your dog with another underweight boxer or again possibly had no experience with boxers and thought it was underweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Got that before myself, kept snakes, got call at door from one the DSPCA people asking if I was keeping venomous snakes!!!!!

Brought em in and showed him my well kept docile carpet python(non-venomous)

Turns out some ex-landlord with a grudge called them, why and what he thought he'd achieve I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

miju wrote: »
    Well just maybe they did know the owner or had inspected it before. Sorry but I know who I'd trust the between the DSPCA and a girl you "kinda know" :rolleyes:
    Well I second the idea that the DSPCA are useless a lot of the time. I've had experience with them and I wont deal with them now at all unless I really have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

miju wrote: »

I saw photos of the condition of the animals. They were INFESTED with mites and being sold pregnant due to not being seperated. I'd trust a girl who does a lot of rescues over a pet shop owner tbh.They did not look like healthy animals to anyones eyes. If they'd inspected the premises they must have been blind, if they point blank refused to entertain any concerns because they knew the owner they're not much use either in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whispered wrote: »
    Well I second the idea that the DSPCA are useless a lot of the time. I've had experience with them and I wont deal with them now at all unless I really have to.

Really?.. I'm interested in this as I'm seriously considering reporting my neighbour with the barking dog now. In the storms over the last two weeks the dog has been left out barking its head off, when I called around to the neighbour I looked over into the back garden and the poor thing doesn't even have a shelter.

Also OP, in regards someone sending the DSPC to your house - its happened to me too, but it was the warden & police!. Apparently I'd two pitbull's running loose on the road and green area's!.

Just be careful, I was warned by the warden & police that although my neighbour was a crank if she got no satisfaction from reporting re. loose pitbulls the next thing she'd do is say they're agressive and went for her or children - so just be careful!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The experience I had with the DSPCA was during the recent heat wave, I wasn't home as I was at a communion that Saturday but when I came home a neighbour was telling me that there was a mother dog in a garden across the road with 3 pups. The pups were dying in the heat as they were in the full glare of the sun and the mother had no water. The owner is not mentally sound so neighbours called the DSPCA and were told...wait for it...could they call back on Mondayeek.gif The police were called but never showed upmad.gif Anyway by the time I heard all of this the pups had diedfrown.gif
    I couldn't believe this happened, I couldn't believe there was nobody (other than ordinary people) who tried to help those poor pups, what a horrible way to diefrown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Really?.. I'm interested in this as I'm seriously considering reporting my neighbour with the barking dog now. In the storms over the last two weeks the dog has been left out barking its head off, when I called around to the neighbour I looked over into the back garden and the poor thing doesn't even have a shelter.

Is that still going on? :(

I'll send you a pm as I don't want this to turn into another rescue bashing thread, but every single time I'v dealt with them I've been struck at how much more caring, well organised and willing to act fast other rescues are. But calling to give a warning is different than actually doing some rescue work so it might work for you.

Whispered wrote: »
    Is that still going on? :(

You wouldn't believe it, the poor thing is gone hourse from barking now - and I'm gone mad with sleep deprevation.

You wouldn't believe it, the poor thing is gone hourse from barking now - and I'm gone mad with sleep deprevation.

I know it's not a solution or your dog but maybe as a short term fix you could toss over a bone or a toy to the doggy? :(
    edit: Didn't see it was out in the storms as well, that's terrible. Maybe it's frightened too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

I'm in the same boat Mak, I sleep at the back of the house and have to sleep with the window open as its so warm. I'm woken everynight without fail by my neighbours dog.

Can you contact your relevant local authority re: Noise Pollution ?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I know it's not a solution or your dog but maybe as a short term fix you could toss over a bone or a toy to the doggy? :(
    edit: Didn't see it was out in the storms as well, that's terrible. Maybe it's frightened too?

I'll try wrapping this in bacon..

Hand_Grenade.jpg

But in all seriousness, the dog is at the back of me and three door's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Really?.. I'm interested in this as I'm seriously considering reporting my neighbour with the barking dog now. .

Maybe if you produce something like this when you talk to your neighbour (as far a I know you have to talk to your neighbour first before reporting, not 100%) it might scare them enough to do something about the barking.

Court Form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Does your dog or any of the neighbour's dogs bark? Sounds like she was pissed at a barking dog and reported you thinking the dog would be seized or something. :rolleyes: Can't think why else someone would make a false accusation unless she really had a grudge against you for something.

Advertisement