Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

child slapped in creche, is this allowed?

• 19-07-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

2 yr old is in a government run creche and is being harmful to the other kids, pinching, hair pulling etc. The time out has not worked, so last week one of his carer s resorted to slapping him on the hand. Now i know he can be naughty and i have slapped him on the hand before but he's 2 surely they are not allowed to do this, he is normally a very good child but i think because he is being looked after by so many different people he s starting to look for more attention??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I suggest you go in and talk to the creche manager, do you have a copy of thier policies and proceedures?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

thanks for that
    the manager is off this wk so ill have to wait tll next wk
    never got a copy of policies and procedures will ask for that too
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Did you tell the child carer that you smacked him on the hand? Because sometimes the carers are very young and a bit naieve. She might think that it's ok for her to do because the parent did it - if you know what I mean! I think it's probably a good idea to talk to the creche manager. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bendy85

No way!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I don't mean to be insensitive, but did it work?
    I seriously doubt it is allowed but when I was brought up that is how I learned right and wrong. Nothing major but just a slap here and there when I would cross a line.

• Advertisement

nope dermo it doesnt work, he just laughs back!! maybe cause it doesnt hurt
    so i find the bold mat/step whatever works better and i have told them thats why i use!! i will chat with manager when she returns

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

You are not even allowed to slap your child.. never mind a creche worker.. I'd kick up murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

alibride wrote: »
    2 yr old is in a government run creche and is being harmful to the other kids, pinching, hair pulling etc. The time out has not worked, so last week one of his carer s resorted to slapping him on the hand. Now i know he can be naughty and i have slapped him on the hand before but he's 2 surely they are not allowed to do this, he is normally a very good child but i think because he is being looked after by so many different people he s starting to look for more attention??

Sounds like the kid has a history of being a trouble maker,
    and now needs to be booted from the creche.

What if your little babay boy/girl was being slapped, kicked, bitten by some little bully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

xzanti wrote: »
    You are not even allowed to slap your child.. never mind a creche worker.. I'd kick up murder.

Not true, the law has not changed YET...

xzanti wrote: »
    You are not even allowed to slap your child.. never mind a creche worker...

There is not law to say you can't slap a creche worker ;)

• Advertisement

T-Square wrote: »
    There is not law to say you can't slap a creche worker ;)

Non-Fatal Offences Against The Person Act 1997

I think you may need new batteries in your sarcasm detector.

And you yours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think you need to stop trolling.

Children don't know how to use their words if they are feeling angry/upset etc. So they lash out using their hands, feet, mouths. It's not uncommon for children to go through these types of phases.

What needs to happen is that punishments need to be consistent. If you are using the naughty mat/step at home then the creche needs to be following through on this for it work.

A care worker should NEVER EVER smack a child in their care and if it were my daughter I would be kicking up murder. Whether you smack your child at home (lightly!) at the moment is none of their business but they should not do it.

Is your baby an only child? Maybe he's not used to sharing toys etc outside of creche, it might be worth trying to organise a few playdates outside so he gets used to sharing his own toys and may be more open to it when he is there. If not he's probably not settling at the creche and needs to be moved to a different one or would probably benefit for one to one care from a child minder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have an issue with a post please report it.
    Civil posting is expected here and not smart remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I personally would have no problem with a light smack on the hand especially if it was a method I also use. The child is misbehaving, it is not nice and the worker had tried everything else. I'm not saying it's the ideal, and if it was a regular occurance I'd have a word, but a once off, and especially IF it helped to stop the bad behaviour, as I said no probs. Again I emphasise a light smack on the hand and not a regular occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

A child care worker who resorts to smacking a child in their care should not be working in child care IMO:mad: Did she tell you she had done this?

T-Square - dont appreciate your comments that my child has a HISTORY of trouble making and is a bully!!! He has been bitten by kids before and yes its not nice.

Anyway the situation has changed where he was in a childminders and is now in a creche. He never gave the childminder any trouble. Now he is in a creche with lots of different people minding him so he s unsettled. The staff member did tell me she slapped him as nothing else had worked that day (he was an angel yesterday). And they reckon he was just having a very bad day as he is not normally as bad.

He has lots of cousins so is used to sharing, i just think its a case of being unsettled in a new environment and the terrible 2's.

Thanks for the advice, i will speak to them incase it becomes an issue again in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tbh, more so than worrying about the slap I'd be more worried about his unhappiness in the creche. Why did you move him from the childminder? Maybe it's worth considering finding him another one, not all children will settle in to a creche environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Whatever about you slapping your child at home, thats your own business.
    It is completely wrong for a childcare staff so slap your child.
    I worked in childcare previously & that would have been an instant sacking offence :eek:

I'm actually quite shocked that the staff member even told you that she had slapped him, it sounds like its accepted as the norm in that creche which would worry me :(

I hope your little boy is ok. It sounds like you're right, he's a little overwhelmed at the change of scenery & having a lot more people mind him instead of exclusively the one person.
    I hope he settles in well for you soon x

I would definitely recommend you speak to the manager and tell them that you will not accept any physical violence towards your child.

Growing up I would have got a slap if I was acting up & I agree it did me no harm, but definitely in a creche setting it is completely unacceptable.

Her comment that 'nothing else had worked that day' is ridiculous, I've worked with some very challenging children that went through full days of acting up for various reasons & I have never once seen any member of staff lay a finger on them :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement