Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Partners on 457 visa - Oz

Options
  • 19-07-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Have a couple questions regarding the 457 visa that aren't answered (as far as I can see) on the dept of immigration website. If anyone could answer or tell me where I might find the answers I'd appreciate it.

When applying for a 457 do you have to add your partner at the time of application or can you add a partner at a later date? Basically me and my girlfriend will not have lived together for the last 12 months by the time I apply (even though we lived together before) and was wondering if I could add her when we reach the 12months.

Also what kind of proof do you need to provide? What is considered relevent because I've heard people talk about statements from friends and family and photographs etc?

Also if you decide to live apart in Australia (for whatever reason, work, break-up, etc) after and application is approved does the partner loose their visa?

The link to the occupations eligible for a 457 on the dept website isnt working. Does anyone know where I can find a recent one?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

Thanks I hadn't seen that thread. Some very useful info in there.

One question, if you don't mind. You corrected smarties123 regarding the 457 and how the burden of sponsorship lies on the employer in that case not the applicant. Does this mean that you cannot add your partner to your visa after the time of application and you have gathered 6/12 months of proof?

ckenn2 wrote: »
    Thanks I hadn't seen that thread. Some very useful info in there.

One question, if you don't mind. You corrected smarties123 regarding the 457 and how the burden of sponsorship lies on the employer in that case not the applicant. Does this mean that you cannot add your partner to your visa after the time of application and you have gathered 6/12 months of proof?

Smarties123 was trying to say that the employer sponsored the employee and then the employee sponsored the de-facto partner, this is untrue.

The employer sponsors both...as they are responsible for all parties in Australia.

If you Girlfriend was in an accident and required hospital bills to be paid and was transferred home, who would be expected to pay the bills for that?

I think it is still be possible to add your GF in at a later date... but you would need to be upfront with the employer at the start, I wouldn't be hiding anything from them because they could just refuse at a later date.

You should give DIAC a phone to confirm that... but a word of advice is note down everyone's name you talk to as some of DIAC staff often quote wrong information and if there is any confusion you can go back and say so & so told me this or that.

Good luck with that sponsoring

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can add at a later date

ckenn2 wrote: »
    Hi,

The link to the occupations eligible for a 457 on the dept website isnt working. Does anyone know where I can find a recent one?

Cheers

attached

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Advertisement