Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Five County Cycle Challenge - Aug 1st

• 19-07-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

http://www.fivecountycyclechallenge.com/

This cycle has been organised as a fund raiser for Ballyjamesduff Primary School and consists of 3 different challenges of 100km 140km and 185km. Start and Finish is at the local GAA grounds ( Co Cavan ).

The 185km seems to only cover about 1000 metres of climbing so ... in Blorg's terms it's as flat as a pancake.

15 Euro entry fees.

mapmyride link

Who's in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Same weekend as Tour of Kilkenny. Based on feedback from last year, I reckon I'll be going to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I'm fairly sure I'm doing it, and although the climbs aren't anything to write home about, the one out of Oldcastle at 50km and the one by Loughanlea at 110km are both noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Guybrush T wrote: »
    although the climbs aren't anything to write home about, the one out of Oldcastle at 50km and the one by Loughanlea at 110km are both noticeable.

You mean ... the road goes up ...? DAMMIT! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Which ride are you going for, the regular, large or supersize?

el tel wrote: »
    Which ride are you going for, the regular, large or supersize?

I'll go for the supersize 185km ... so I can have chips with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

penexpers wrote: »
    Same weekend as Tour of Kilkenny. Based on feedback from last year, I reckon I'll be going to that.

But they're on different days so you'll be able to do both ;)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I might give this a go too. As it's an early start for me to get to the sign on in good time I may go down the evening before. Anyone else planning similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'm fairly sure I'm doing it, and although the climbs aren't anything to write home about, the one out of Oldcastle at 50km and the one by Loughanlea at 110km are both noticeable.

This is Drumlin Country so I would think lots of Short Sharp Stingers would add up to a noticable 1000m for the legs;)

Esroh wrote: »
    This is Drumlin Country so I would think lots of Short Sharp Stingers would add up to a noticable 1000m for the legs;)

I've ridden most of the route (with the exception of the loop out to Cavan) and it's not the worst of drumlin country, not like you get out by Carrickmacross.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi,
    There is another leg tester to be found on the loop around Kingscourt which will surprise a few and also the road home from Cavan has quite a few stings in the tail, with some sections ranging from 8-14% so save a bit for it. Cheers

• Advertisement

Who is in?

Sign-on is from 8:30 at Castlerahan GAA Grounds in Balljamesduff and official start is 9:30, Cost of entry is €15.
    Shower and changing facilities are available at Castlerahan GAA grounds where post race refreshments will also be served.
    I'd love to do it, but I've already signed up for this one
    Can we merge Lumen please??

[mod note: merged]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I will be very close to this at the weekend - might give it a go. Looks like there will be no food or marshalling as such on the route just as the start / finish. Is this right?

EDIT - sorry should have read the website first. Refresments in Moynalty and Cavan. I might only do 100km as cant be away from the family all day !

Hi just wondering as I am involved in this are any of the Boards gang
    heading. Cheers only an hour from Dublin

http://www.fivecountycyclechallenge.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^merged

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

el tel wrote: »
    I might give this a go too. As it's an early start for me to get to the sign on in good time I may go down the evening before. Anyone else planning similar?

Where are you travelling from ?

Just back from doing this, didn't see any boards kit, but there seemed to be about 50 odd people doing it. Definitely wins my vote for best value for money sportive this year. Also wins my vote for the hardest one I've done this year.

At the start we were split into 3 groups, so I put myself in the first group which was supposed to do roughly 30kph. I did this for two reasons, a couple of people I know had gone into this group, so I didn't want to lose face, and I assumed that the 30kph was a bit of an over estimate to put people off.

This was wrong, after two and a quarter hours, we were in Kells, having done 73 km at an average of 32.5 kph.

Things settled down after that, but the course was hard enough that by the time we were on the final leg I was dropping off the back of the lead group, which by now was down to 5 people from the original 13, so I wimped out and took a short cut which cut the total distance down to 173km, still averaged 30.8 kph though.

The route was harder than it looks, not many big hills, but lots of up and down, nice countryside and decent road surfaces (except for one bit outside Kingscourt with grass up the middle of the road.)

Tea stops were great, hang sangwiches, (diagonal too) and a very impressive range of home baking.

The organisers are planning to do it again next year, although possibly on a different weekend, and I'd definitely recommend it, it's worth getting up early enough to drive out of Dublin for.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Just back from doing this, didn't see any boards kit, but there seemed to be about 50 odd people doing it. Definitely wins my vote for best value for money sportive this year. Also wins my vote for the hardest one I've done this year.

At the start we were split into 3 groups, so I put myself in the first group which was supposed to do roughly 30kph. I did this for two reasons, a couple of people I know had gone into this group, so I didn't want to lose face, and I assumed that the 30kph was a bit of an over estimate to put people off.

This was wrong, after two and a quarter hours, we were in Kells, having done 73 km at an average of 32.5 kph.

Things settled down after that, but the course was hard enough that by the time we were on the final leg I was dropping off the back of the lead group, which by now was down to 5 people from the original 13, so I wimped out and took a short cut which cut the total distance down to 173km, still averaged 30.8 kph though.

The route was harder than it looks, not many big hills, but lots of up and down, nice countryside and decent road surfaces (except for one bit outside Kingscourt with grass up the middle of the road.)

Tea stops were great, hang sangwiches, (diagonal too) and a very impressive range of home baking.

The organisers are planning to do it again next year, although possibly on a different weekend, and I'd definitely recommend it, it's worth getting up early enough to drive out of Dublin for.

+1 very well run and excellent food stops. Only did the 100k as had been off the bikes for a number of weeks so I knew at the stop in Moynalty that the shorter route was for me. Maybe the fact that I also knew what was coming after the stop for those doing the longer spin might have had a bearing of the decision. It certainly was a challenging route but I would highly recommend it for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 w200

Fully agree with last two posts. Excellent event , well run with great food stops and really professional marshalling by motorbike outriders. In my case did 90 Mls at AV 19.1 Mph . Not bad for a tour eh so would make great training spin for any racer on a REST day. Will definitely be back next year.
    w200

Hi,
    Thanks to the 3 previous posts for their comments and reports on
    the first 5ccc.While entries were a little lower than we expected we
    were still delighted with how the day went as this was a learning experience for us also.General comments at the end were all positive
    and all enjoyed their day so we will likely run again next year.
    A few changes will be made with possible 50 100 150k loops and the date changed to mid july or mid aug, as not to clash local Tri that took place on same day and will stay. Also too close to An Post meath cycle
    might have lowered entries. So here's to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ADHOnA21

Hi. I did this spin, great ride, really well organised.

The food was plentiful and what you would want and there were marshals at the junctions with a support van. You could not ask for more! The profile looks like a fried egg, but boy do you notice the shirt sharp climbs over the day. Obviously the different routes cater for all needs which is a bonus. Knowing the roads, I cut my day at 150k but knew I was on the bike. At €15, it puts rides like the Wicklow to shame!

Well done to the organisers, I will be back next year and will spread the word that this ride is not to be missed. Chapeau!

• Advertisement
Advertisement