Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Broadband Provider? (Drogheda)

• 19-07-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Okay so basically, I'm looking into changing my broadband supplier, as digiweb are in a word, awful. I've also had clearwire which was beyond dreadful. As you can guess we have no phone line.

Things I'd be looking for is high/unlimited usage allowance, service thats good for gaming and is reasonably priced. Its not too much for ask for is it? *sigh*

Anyway, the way I see it, I have two options. The first is to give the old wireless another go and try Imagine's wimax service. Which would be my cheapest option, but I'm very hesitant to do so as I've read that though they block p2p, take ages streaming videos, have contention ratios that suck and are abysmal for gaming. Are they really that bad?

The other option is fork out the money to have a phone line installed (it is a rented house but landlord doesn't mind, but he's getting a phone line in for free so why would he? :rolleyes:).

Now do you have to go to eircom to get a line opened/connected? If I was to go to another Isp would they be able to connect me or is it that eircom owns every single line? And if we go to eircom are we then bound pay them line rental on top line we pay in a broadband package from another service provider such as Smart Telecom, Magnet or UTV?

Also what's the best DSL provider to go with, Smart and Magnet seem good but I've no idea of their availability in the area (Greenhills), Eircom is in very expensive. And I've only ever read bad things about vodafone.

I know UPC isnt available in the area.

I'm in located in drogheda (Greenhills) and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

stay clear from mobile "broadband" and wimax

have eircom myself on their so called upto 24mb, but with distance from the local exchange i can only recive 12-13mb

Download Speed: 12910 kbps (1613.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 615 kbps (76.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

20720284.png

and a uk server
    20720326.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

dazdrog wrote: »
    stay clear from mobile "broadband" and wimax

have eircom myself on their so called upto 24mb, but with distance from the local exchange i can only recive 12-13mb

Download Speed: 12910 kbps (1613.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 615 kbps (76.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

20720284.png

and a uk server
    20720326.png

well since there is no phone line installed mobile broadband will be the only option unless you pay eircom a bomb to install a new line:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

jay93 wrote: »
    well since there is no phone line installed mobile broadband will be the only option unless you pay eircom a bomb to install a new line:rolleyes:

Mobile Midband (its not broadband) is not a option for him, as caps are crap and so is the service so there goes gaming out the window
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Things I'd be looking for is high/unlimited usage allowance, service thats good for gaming and is reasonably priced. Its not too much for ask for is it? *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

dazdrog wrote: »
    Mobile Midband (its not broadband) is not a option for him, as caps are crap and so is the service so there goes gaming out the window

im aware that its not broadband!!!
    anyway untill you get a line installed mobile may be the only option for now caps are only crap on voda o2 and meteor 3 do 25GB now which is ok compared to others im not saying its a permanent solution but mobile is ok for temporary usage !!;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jay93 wrote: »
    im aware that its not broadband!!!
    anyway untill you get a line installed mobile may be the only option for now caps are only crap on voda o2 and meteor 3 do 25GB now which is ok compared to others im not saying its a permanent solution but mobile is ok for temporary usage !!;);)
    Eircom have a promotion going on at the moment for free line installs I thought (possibly online orders only tho) , indeed I sorted out a line for someone 3 weeks ago using that very offer. Katharine, you should definitely check out that option. A call to eircom will also clarify if the offer's still going on etc.

OP, what service were you getting from Digiweb? Was it the Metro service with a phone socket built into the modem or simply called "wireless broadband"? If you didn't want a phone line anyway, Digiweb Metro is what I would have suggested before.

Advertisement