Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Installation

Options
  • 19-07-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys. I'm looking into getting UPC broadband (15mb) along with TV and phone. I'm living in rented accomodation at the moment and my previous supplier was digiweb (metro wireless).

Does anybody have any idea what the installation process is and how long it takes? I've tried customer service but I can't get a straight answer out of them. I know it doesn't come throught the phone line. Just need to know whether or not they'll be drilling holes in my house so I can keep the landlord happy. UPC say my house is connected to their network but I've no idea how they'll route a cable from the street into the house.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

It's possible a cable was run from the street to your house when it was built.
    This was the case with me, and the cable was sitting in the TV point in the front room. Conencted the modem there, and then connected out on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Are there any existing cable points in the house?
    If not, they'll have to run their own cables in, but there's a chance they can use the same spot that your old cables were coming through.
    So there may be no new holes.

I don't know how you expect a customer service agent sitting in the other side of the country to tell you if a hole would be needed in your house.
    Every house is different afterall, so how would they know?

When they said that your house is on their network, that means that there is a connection from the property to their tap.
    But that doesn't mean that they have cables entering the house.

All you can really do is book an apointment and see what happens when the techs call to physically look at the situation.
    You can always cancel or postpone if it's not sutible.
    Booking an install doesn't sign you up for a contract like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 benny194

Thanks guys. There are connection points in the house and I've also noted that there are two grates on the walkway outside my house (one labelled Eircom and the other CATV) so it looks like the house is set up already. By any chance do ye know what type of cable that UPC use to carry the signal into the house (coaxial or otherwise)?

coaxial

sounds like your wired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Anyone have any experiences with getting the cable ran into a house?
    Does the installation cost money then?
    I presume you would need the landlord's permission to have it done too?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

wondring about cahanging to upc since irish broadband has gone to a crawl the last 2 weeks, pretty much 0 upload speed and 1/3 the speed the download should be

checked the map of upc coverage and im in a white bit, but we do get digital tv from UPC? is it in the same wiring as the tv? its a pretty old area im in and dont think there was any upgrades to my knowledge closeby

just wondering if it comes in through the same tv wiring?

-=al=- wrote: »
    wondring about cahanging to upc since irish broadband has gone to a crawl the last 2 weeks, pretty much 0 upload speed and 1/3 the speed the download should be

checked the map of upc coverage and im in a white bit, but we do get digital tv from UPC? is it in the same wiring as the tv? its a pretty old area im in and dont think there was any upgrades to my knowledge closeby

Yep - exact same wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

-=al=- wrote: »

Same wire, but just cause you have TV doesn't mean you can get Broadband.
    Doesn't mean you can't either like, but don't get your hopes up until you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yeah its just a case of calling them really, just thought i'd give it an ask here....

im sure theres some sort fo complication about it though, the fibre powered 15mb is white i'd opt for here, wonder if the line can take it, be very cool if it could, sure i'll give em a call and see what they say, im getting sick of irish broadband speeds lately, its taking the pizzaz

also when i do speedtests the service host changes from eircom to digiweb? always wondered why that happened, the service im on now with irish broadband/imagine isnt available anymore either =/

Advertisement