Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On Turf Contracting

Options
  • 19-07-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am thinking of starting contracting in turf cutting. I have a Hitachi 60 which I am hoping is up to the job. What, if any are the requirements I need to meet ie licence for cutting? Tax requirements? Insurance? Any other advice would be greatly apprciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Check that the bog you intend to cut on is not on the banned list for turf cutting

Then get wide tracks on your digger, and a wide bucket. You'll need a good reach on the digger arm (not sure how big your Hitachi is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I would think a ex 60 6 ton machine might be a bit small
    wide tracks would be a big help
    A turf hopper and 4wd tractor with double wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Afaik there are no licenses needed to cut turf, you only need a license to sell turf off the bog. Depending on the bog, you could fit your digger with wide pads or even a set of mats might do for a while, it all depends on how much you want to spend really.

I'd imagine your biggest problem will be finding a bog to cut turf in though. There was war this year, around the midlands anyway, with contractors moving into each others bogs etc. This was all down to the turf cutting bans, that the lads have mentioned already. So i'd make sure that you have something to cut before you invest too heavily in machinery.

I don't think that there are any special tax regulations, wouldn't know a whole lot about this though, only insurance you'll need is on your machinery,maybe public liability might be worth looking into?

Advertisement