Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hole in Tyre sidewall

• 19-07-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Discovered a hole in the side of my conti gp4000S tyre on way home from a spin on saturday. Only had the tyre a month, which is about 800km or so. It is only very small and tiny bit of the tube is poking out. I got home fine on it.

Havent a clue how it happened, so just wondering what the likely cause would be? could it be from over pumping the tube? I use a SKS track pump and basically pump until i cant get any more pressure into it.

Also what are my options, is it simply a case of getting a new one? I ve a race on wednesday night and would need one before then so could do with getting crackin on an order if so.

Also is there any point trying to send the tyre back to the shop or manufacturer? I ve found the tyres great in terms of roll resistance and puncture resistance so will likely order the same brand. Just seems strange for this to happen so soon.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Check your brakes, they might be too high up and hitting the sidewall rather than the rim. It could be a defect but you don't really have any comeback after having used it for so long.

Junk it, sidewall blowouts are not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Check your brakes, they might be too high up and hitting the sidewall rather than the rim. It could be a defect but you don't really have any comeback after having used it for so long.

Junk it, sidewall blowouts are not fun.
    Thanks Dirk will check them when i get home. New tyre it is so.

It will be pretty obvious if they are off, aside from the fact they are not aligned properly the sidewall will be consistently damaged/melted along it's circumference.

I think you are right, probably a defect, I think it would be difficult (though not impossible) for something to poke a hole in the side of it. Have you had a flat in it before? If not, maybe chance your arm with the shop, but with 800km on it they have no duty other than trying to keep your business in future. At the least you might get a discount on a new tyre if they think you are genuine.

Sorry to hear about it anyway, they are great tyres, that kind of thing shouldn't be passing whatever quality controls they have.

Havent had a flat at all with them, have found them great compared to 2 previous sets of tyres. Ordered a new one online just there anyway as wont get to shop with work before wednesday night. Will examine them fully and properly later. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think you are right, probably a defect, I think it would be difficult (though not impossible) for something to poke a hole in the side of it.

I have had a sidewall slashed by glass. Probably a bit I though I'd successfully avoided. Didn't blow out until the next day at 35kph... :eek:

• Advertisement

What type of tyre was it? I would be surprised if a piece of glass punctured a GP4000 with enough force to make a hole but not hit the tube Obviously it could happen, but I would have thought the chances were much lower with high pressure tyres.

We really need a testing sub-forum, these things wreck my head.

To the laboratory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

GP4000s is probably the best all purpose tyre out there. But... the sidewall is the weakspot in my view. I have replaced a couple this year because of the exact same reason. In my case it was clipping the side of a pothole or stone at speed. I think they sacrificed some of the tyres strength at the sides. Nonetheless, fantastic tyre all the same.

Get rid of the tyre, just use it as a turbo trainer tyre. A weak sidewall can give way under stress particularly when cornering at speed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

@Dirk, T'was a whitewall Schwalbe 'puncture proof' something or other. Maybe the tread area was but the very thin sidewall wasn't...

It was a kind of sideways cut rather than a stab hole. I presume that's why the tube didn't go at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

How weird ,

Have 4000s front and back was cycling down malahide road this morning and bang....frightned the shi$e out of me , the front one blew on the side wall the hole in the tube was prob twice size of normal pinch

I have mine since end of Feb, the little wear holes were still visable though so a bit of life left in them

Just to make things worse my pump fell apart so had to stop a randomer....1st puncture of the year so cant complain too much

Also have 2 gatorskins at home so will lash one on until the new 4000s arrives, presume it wont make much difference front or back ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Same thing happenned to me wit my bck 4000 S last week. I had put them before the alpes. used them for just 4 rides in the alpes. Brand new tires. Just left the house for a spin and bang ... and there is a hole on the side of the tire too, the size of a ... half a cocopop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Ditto... Brand new 4000s, first ride, perhaps 30k done, clipped a small stone (didn't see it), holed the sidewall and down it went. I put a patch on the inside of the tyre and carried on but on inspection later the tube was trying to push through the hole despite the patch so reluctantly binned it. Just bad luck I suppose but it would appear from the evidence above that the sidewalls are vulnerable on these tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I put gator skins on my bike last feb , A bulge appeared on the side wall of one actually 3 small bulges .

I reported the fault to the shop i bought the tyres off when ordering a new one , they replaced it free of charge :D .

so maybe there is a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Same thing happenned to me wit my bck 4000 S last week. I had put them before the alpes. used them for just 4 rides in the alpes. Brand new tires. Just left the house for a spin and bang ... and there is a hole on the side of the tire too, the size of a ... half a cocopop.

A cocopop !.:eek:

just took the tyre off , 3 small tears on the side wall, strange thing is the whole in the tyre was about an inch back from the tear and it would be near the rim tape, i changed the tube to get home but it popped again....checked the closest spoke but wasnt loose so no idea what the fook is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I had a GP4000s go bang last week too. Was and hour late for work

Wonder whether this is just a new thing, is everybody riding on the 'S' model?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Wonder whether this is just a new thing, is everybody riding on the 'S' model?
    hell yeah, it has chilli in it!

hell yeah, it has chilli in it!
    Caroline, did you get the pro lite bracciano wheels? how do you find them?

They're great, very light and I love the sound of the freewheel. they don't make me a better climber tho.

I tried to buy them of CRC they took the cash , came back into stock then said out of stock then wanted me to wait until October for next batch....not happy at all

I want them now!!!!!

• Advertisement

They're great, very light and I love the sound of the freewheel. they don't make me a better climber tho.
    Interested in getting a pair myself, the cost to weight ratio is good. they are impossible to get hold of tho. CRC were due to get them 2 weeks ago but now they tell me it will be september - bummer

dario28 wrote: »
    I tried to buy them of CRC they took the cash , came back into stock then said out of stock then wanted me to wait until October for next batch....not happy at all

I want them now!!!!!

Ha ha had my eye on them too, e mailed crc rather than paid for them as i figured that might happen. can you get a refund?

Ha ha had my eye on them too, e mailed crc rather than paid for them as i figured that might happen. can you get a refund?

Yeah I mailed them and they sent the cash back....

If you are interested in paying 400 euros ya can get them from Denmark..not sure about shipping though

dario28 wrote: »
    Yeah I mailed them and they sent the cash back....

If you are interested in paying 400 euros ya can get them from Denmark..not sure about shipping though
    would prob go with shimano rs80's at that price, the bracianno's were €90 cheaper hence the attraction. going to hold off until next year anyway now

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Ok, do you think there's a manufacturing fault with the 4000s's so? I was just going to get another pair as I'm temporarily on some schwalbe lugano things that are treacherous in the wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

There was no fault with my tyre. The fault lay with the glass that was unavoidable in city centre. Thankfully only a few 100 metres from the gaff.

Advertisement