Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightning photos

• 19-07-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Just stumbled on this, unbelievable!

I want to take these kind of photos especially with the lovely weather we're having lately. Doesn't look to hard, take a good few shots and layer them in my new CS5 :)

http://www.greeksky.gr/files/photos/atmospheric/20100628Thunders.htm

20100628Thunders.jpg
    This is a photo sequence of 42 stacked shots, caught in Olympic Stadium, Athens during a severe thunderstorm. It only took me aproximatelly 30 minutes to capture 51 thunders.
    Nine shots were destroyed because of the brightness of the thunders. See also the waterdrops from the drain pipe. They seem 'still' as they instlantly illuminated from the lightnings.

The answer to the crucial question: No... The big thunder didn't hit me on the head! It stroke a few hundred feet in front of me..

Canon EOS 550D, 28/6/2010 1:16 - 1:48, Shutter Speed 3.2 sec x 42 shots, Aperture Value 4.0, ISO 100, Lens Canon EF 15mm f/2.8, Focal Length 15.0 mm

Anyone any tips / ideas? especially for not getting my gear wet wet wet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ya can't see thunder :P

Thats lightning :D

Excellent link Btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From the angle of the shot, it looks like the camera was set up underneath a similar structure to the one on the right where the ground is clearly dry...

Hardest bit of getting a shot like this would seem to be finding the location and being there during a storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

landyman wrote: »
    Ya can't see thunder :P

Thats lightning :D

Excellent link Btw

Haha I was going to say that too, aren't we just the right smart-arses :rolleyes:

Cool though, the amounts of time I've have tried, rather unsuccesfully to capture lightning... Very hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Wow, love it. Thanks for that! Would love to try that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

1869705930_e2e3d320dd.jpg

1869701396_a69ab2e29b.jpg

Managed to get a few shots of lightning from my hotel window in Mozambique a couple of years ago. Wasn't really expecting the storm, and it was at about 3am iirc, so wasn't going to go looking for a better view (down on the beach at 3am would've been dodgy anyhow, but with a tripod and an umbrella in a thunderstorm???).

I setup with the camera on tripod on the balcony, but moved back inside when the storm got closer. Taking single shots didn't really work, as I couldn't exactly time the lightning strikes.

I think I ended up setting a 30-sec exposure, then using a piece of card to cover the lens for about 20 of those 30secs to try and catch a couple of bolts in one shot. I counted the seconds between the lightning bolts/thunderclaps to estimate roughly when the next one would be.

And having a few stationary buildings in shot would've been good, the trees were blowing all over the place so came out a bit blurred.

• Advertisement
Advertisement