Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Contracts (SF-88) for home renovation

• 19-07-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if a client can use the RIAI Building Contract -SF 88 (pink contract without quantities, for small build) without engaging an architect.

I am helping out a family member with a renovation of their house and want them to have a contract with the builder. I am going to act as the project manager and purchased the SF-88 contract to see if it could be used.

However as there is no architect involved in the job, I don't know if I can use it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

If you are willing to undertake and carry out the role of "architect" as required under the Cotract, then there should be a problem using the contract.

At the end of the day the Contract is between the client(employer) and the Contractor, as is the case with all standard building contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

archtech wrote: »
    If you are willing to undertake and carry out the role of "architect" as required under the Cotract, then there should be a problem using the contract.

At the end of the day the Contract is between the client(employer) and the Contractor, as is the case with all standard building contracts.

Thanks for the quick response.

So I take it that its only 'Architect' in name really. Once I am willing to carry out all inspections and payment certs etc. the home owner can use this contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

for the purpose of the contract the term "architect" refers to the contact administrator,be it architect or other. when the RIAI do their next print run of the contracts (which could be sometime yet, due to lack of activity in the industry) I undstand that they will be allowing space for the term architect to be substituted to allow those whom are not permitted to refer to themselves as architects under registration/building control regulations to use the contracts without having to describe themselves as the architect within the contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

To be honest, seems to me that it would be more effective for you to have an agreement drawn up by a solicitor. A layperson trying to adapt an agreement drawn up for a different purpose for different types of parties is just a recipe for a mess in the event of a dispute. For example, you could find you have committed yourself to an arbitration process in the event of a dispute instead of the courts route. I also note that as you are not an architect, you are not in fact in a position to certify the property etc so this contract really isn't suitable for you.

Solicitors are very negotiable these days and as it's a one off issue you should be able to get a fixed price. The solicitor will discuss with you what you want to achieve with the contract and draft it for you. I would have thought €500 plus Vat or so would be the type of fee you might expect for that. Money well spent if you achieve a proper enforceable written contract with your builder.

Otherwise, the law society also do a building contract and that is probably more suitable than the RIAI one. You would be defined as the employer and the builder as the employee. It still isn't ideal though. It's commonly used where a developer is building an estate of houses. Better than the RIAI one though.

Good luck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

• Advertisement
Advertisement