Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling iphone

Options
  • 19-07-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I lost my iphone a few weeks ago and a kind person has returned it to me in the post. At the time I lost the phone I reported it stolen ( genuinely thought it had been stolen) and have since gotten a new iphone on my insurance.
    This cost €40 in excess fees and a lot of extra hassle. My original iphone was in great condition and only 6 months old.
    I'm now thinking of selling my original iphone. It still works perfectly well with any o2 sim card (I've tried severeal).
    My question is can I do this or could the phone be blocked in the future?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Itsn't it officially the property of the Insurance Company now??
    You can't proffit from insurance and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP who had you the insurance with?? was it with o2 or cpw or was it attached to your house insurance.

If it was a network insurance then part of the claims process is getting the phone barred, now a lot of people on here say that barring doesn't really happen in Ireland and I tend to agree with them. so you should be ok from the point that the phone isnt barred.

another point is that one of the laws or rules of insurance is that you are not supposed to gain from insurance so legally i do not know where you stand on this side of things. hopefully someone can elaborate a bit better on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redddbop

thanks for replies..
    I have phone insurance - at the highest rate..
    I asked in a phone shop what should I do now that the phone had been posted back to me and they told me that now the claim has been processed and approved the old phone is of no use to them and they do not dispose of them.
    So technically the phone is mine to do what I please (according to them). I don't want to sell it to someone and then the phone gets barred.
    They also told me that the phones usually don't get barred so are ok to use again.
    Anyone else have a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

why dont you keep it as a spare and cancel your insurance !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the phone is now the property of the insurance company. the "right" thing to do is advise them you have recovered the phone and ask for their advice. selling it would be making a profit which you're not entitled to do from an insurance claim.

i'm closing this thread now. please pm me if you have any issues.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement