Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retaining XP OEM licence

• 19-07-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Okay, so a friend's desktop got hit by lightning a few days ago. I have narrowed it down to the motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-8SIMLNF REV 2.0. The desktop is a Packard Bell iMedia 3050 with an Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz CPU and XP Home. She wants to keep the computer and doesn't want to pay for a new retail licence if possible. I looked on eBay and all the GA-8SIMLNF boards there are a different revison, REV 1.0, 1.1,1.2 and 3.1. If I use one of these will XP still treat it as OEM or will I have to wipe the drive and install retail XP? According to this article
    If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty.

I guess what I am asking is, if I install a REV 3.1 board will XP see it as "the same make and model" and still see it as OEM?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OEM means the license can only be transfered to another motherboard if replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer.

even buying the exact same motherboard from the manufacturer and fitting it your self voids the warranty.

It's may be cheaper to buy a secondhand machine of same spec than a new motherboard and windows license.

Alternatively buy a transferrable windows license or use a different OS that allows you to transfer to different hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

OEM means the license can only be transfered to another motherboard if replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer.

even buying the exact same motherboard from the manufacturer and fitting it your self voids the warranty.
    The warranty is long gone on this PC, circa 2004. The instructions in the kb article I posted above are written for Users and not system builders, that is clear, and it goes on to say that users can replace a defect motherboard and meet the licence terms but if you replace a non defect motherboard that it's seen as a new computer and the licence can't be used.

All that needs to be considered is if XP sees a GA-8SIMLNF REV 3.1 motherboard as a replacement for a GA-8SIMLNF REV 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Microsoft will give you a new product code .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125
    Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty. The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA.
    I've highlighted this bit at the end because it refers you to the EULA.

It's the same as with the Rules Of The Road they are a guideline they are not the law.

If technet says it's technically possible to do X, it doesn't imply that microsoft are giving you carte blanche to do so, especially when the alternative is to buy a windows 7 license and use it's downgrade rights to get a legit XP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125I've highlighted this bit at the end because it refers you to the EULA.

It's the same as with the Rules Of The Road they are a guideline they are not the law.

If technet says it's technically possible to do X, it doesn't imply that microsoft are giving you carte blanche to do so, especially when the alternative is to buy a windows 7 license and use it's downgrade rights to get a legit XP.

No legal expert, but my reading of that quote would be it is only if the motherboard is not the exact same model, that the equivelant manufacturer replacement warranty statement comes into play. It doesn't seem to outright preclude the user from sourcing the same board themselves.

EDIT: No just a late night brain fart on my part, replacement under warranty is an integral condition of the licensing agreement, passage is just a little ambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I hope you are both wrong ;) The lady I am fixing it for is a Widow and she doesn't have the money for a new PC or a new OS. She can afford the Motherboard but that's about it. This is why I hate MS, you shouldn't need a law degree to sucessfully change a defect motherboard. I am not trying to break the law or anything, I am just trying to help my neighbour out.

All my own computers now run Linux or Retail Windows because, in my opinion, in the long run OEM software works out more expensive. I am hopeful it will work but I think it's 50/50 if I have to call MS to activate it. I appreciate your input all the same, I just wish things were different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

"same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent"
    that should cover you for a different revision number.
    And yes, you'll probably have to rang MS, explain and reactivate windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

you'll probably have to rang MS, explain and reactivate windows.
    I had to replace the mobo on a PC previously. Was a completely different model, but it did have the same socket. Called Microsoft and they sorted out the activation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

You will have no problem ,just ring microsoft . Have done so many times.

Advertisement