Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Literacy

• 19-07-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of volunteering to work in adult literacy as a tutor for a couple of hours a week. Has anyone done this, I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experiences.

okedoke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Schtoom

I have done literacy tutoring for the last 6 months and it has been extremely rewarding.

You do an 8 week course to be a tutor - most of the VEC's will be starting one in September but I would get your name down now as they have a lot more volunteers now than previously. Once you get a student you meet for about 2 hours a week.

I did my course at the Adult Learning Centre in Sallynoggin (part of Dun Laoghaire VEC) and it was one of the best courses I have ever done - both for making me think about the issues and from the practical side.

I would definitely recommend it - I have learnt so much from tutoring my student! It's a very fulfilling two-way experience. Go for it! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Schtoom

does the tutoring year generally follow the academic year (Sept - May)

and

any pro's or cons with doing with a VEC vs. an independent charity?

okedoke

Hi okedoke -
    VECs do follow the academic year pretty much, though they finish up in July, not May.
    Not too sure whether independent charities run literacy classes over summer - and don't really have any idea of pros/cons as have only tutored through the VEC.
    If the service is related in any way to the Dept of Education they'll be closed over the summer. Even prison education shuts down July-September.

There's not a literacy element that I'm aware of but the Foundations project for children/teenagers who are homeless or have a history of homelessness are running a summer project and were looking for volunteers.

If you find anything literacy related over the summer I'd be interested to hear about it :)

Schtoom
    I got on to the local VEC literacy co-ordinator and the programmes run year round (with breaks for Easter & Xmas). She said there is more flexibilty during the summer but the programme seems to run then.

okedoke

Gosh that's great - mine is definitely closed till September.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm interested in getting into this area. I contacted NALA and found them pretty helpful. Unfortunately, the local VEC is closed for a little while.

I've sent in an application form for a position as a tutor, the training is in late September as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LaBelleSel

Hi there. I contacted the Adult Education Officer of my local VEC about a month ago and she said that they won't be advertising for literacy tutors on the website again until around Christmas time. Could this be correct, as I thought the tutoring would run from Septmeber to May/June like an academic year? Maybe my VEC just have a large panel of tutors and are working with them until December?

Hmmm they are usually looking for people - the word 'advertise' makes me wonder did she mean paid positions? Either way the course for voluntary tutors is about 8 weeks long so I would have thought it would start in September anyway. Maybe they are inundated with tutors? It might be worth clarifying - or checking with another VEC.

I'm interested in getting into this area. I contacted NALA and found them pretty helpful. Unfortunately, the local VEC is closed for a little while.

Sometimes they have people on for a few hours in the day to take calls over summer so it might be worth seeing if you can get a response. Or they might be picking up emails. If you can get on the list for the course it would be good as they fill up pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

LaBelleSel wrote: »
    ... I thought the tutoring would run from Septmeber to May/June like an academic year? Maybe my VEC just have a large panel of tutors and are working with them until December?
    Courses were deferred a while back in my area because of staff shortages, so that could be a reason, and they may well have a large panel of people on the books for some time waiting to get on a course so may not need to advertise.
    And the only paid positions in adult literacy are for group tutoring, so I would not take it that the word "advertise" would infer a paid position.

But for anybody with time on hands and awaiting a course you could just go get some info from NALA and start reading up on that. If would be to your advantage to have done some reading on the subject before you go for an interview. Places on a course are limited so you need to put as much effort into getting on a course as you would a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was on their waiting list for a year before I got called up earlier this year. I think the delay is budget related. It was an eight week course. The first day was very disappointing, but then it picked right up and got my interest. I think the first day was trying too hard to give a high level overview and came across badly. We were told that numbers of people requiring assistance drop off during the summer and the VEC shuts in August, but that we'll be contacted and given a student in September/October.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yeah I guess any of those would be good reasons for not taking on tutors in September. I guess I just have to read up and do a small bit of prep for the course whenever it will start in my area. Might contact NALA directly to see if they know anything about the tutor recruitment in my local VEC area and maybe contact a neighbouring VEC as well to see what way they do it.

LaBelleSel wrote: »
    ... and maybe contact a neighbouring VEC as well to see what way they do it.
    If you do a course with a neighbouring VEC then they will expect you to tutor in that area and not in your own area. So pick a VEC that's handy for ya :-)
    As an above poster, I was on the list for yonks in my area before I got on the course and I had to fight as hard as to get on it!
    It does however show that their are plenty of people out there willing to help other for no cash reward, that's a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The local VEC goes straight to voicemail. NALA were supposed to send me an information pack, but it never arrived so I contacted them again and they included the DVD of the Written Off series which I found useful and interesting.

No tutor courses here until February, apparently.

NALA got back to me today and said that it was due to a lack of funding that my local VEC only puts the initial tutor training course twice a year so it looks like I'll have to wait until after Christmas for the next one.

That's when mine started I think. Just get your name on the list and wait.

I just got an email saying I'd be starting the 10 week course (in Cork) next week.

hey okedoke, that's great! congratulations :-) I hope you enjoy it

• Advertisement

Cheers - looking forward to it now

I went through the training earlier this year, but I haven't been assigned a student yet. Has anyone?

Nothing until the Autumn now. :(

Nothing until the Autumn now. :(
    It's more or less about three years since I started knocking on the door to become a tutor. Between this and that I only actually started tutoring three weeks ago! Been great so far. So just stick with it and it will happen.
    Best of luck :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

NALA The National Adult Literacy Agency. There is a map on that link to find a centre near you.
    Adult education and literacy tuition is very different to learning in school. It primarily centres on the needs and interests of the learner. Very often adults with literacy difficulties had a negative experience of school and it is a very brave decision for them to return to education. If you watch an episode of Written Off? you will get an insight into the many reasons adults have literacy difficulties and the often life changing benefits they get from improving these skills.
    If you would like to become a volunteer literacy tutor you will need to do some initial tutor training. This usually involves attending a class with other volunteers for one evening a week for about 6 weeks.
    FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Dublin Adult Literacy Center, Mountjoy Square in Dublin often provides training, when the VEC's are not doing them.

Give them a call and find out if they have any upcoming training.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Am resurrecting this thread as I am also interested in literacy tutor training. I enquired about it last year but as I was in the middle of writing my thesis, I decided not to do it. I know it was only one evening a week, but I wanted to make sure I'd be committed to the tutoring aspect of it when assigned a student.

I've just sent off an e-mail now asking about classes this September.

To anyone who has done the tutor training - what are the classes like? What things do you learn? Also, when you are tutoring a student what is that like? How many times a week etc.

Any insights would be great thanks.

Also, has anyone gone on to do further training in this area - e.g. certificate in adult literacy etc.

UpCork wrote: »

To anyone who has done the tutor training - what are the classes like? What things do you learn? Also, when you are tutoring a student what is that like? How many times a week etc.

Any insights would be great thanks.

Also, has anyone gone on to do further training in this area - e.g. certificate in adult literacy etc.
    1) There was on open evening you had to attend, there was a good 60 or so people there. Mostly about the service and how it works, what they do etc...
    2) There was an interview: They had no interest in your qualifications, certification etc. it was all about you and why you wanted to tutor.
    3) The course is standard across all VEC's. One evening per week, two hours an evening, about 12 nights in all or so. Very interactive, lot's of working with other students on assigned tasks. 15 or so in the class. Covers everything you would need, from the causes of adult literacy, the effects of it, tutoring different aspects of it : reading, spelling etc, etc.
    4)You are matched with a student: some tutors got one straight away, some had to wait. I had to wait several months as my evening were restricted.
    5) The course actually prepared you quite well for tutoring, I find it good fun. I will return this September and have the same student again, he's happy with me and I'm happy with him :-)
    Sorry for short reply, mad busy!

Apparently, I've to send my CV in. This wasn't mentioned before. No word on any training, etc. depends on how many students they get...keep playing the waiting game, it seems.

• Advertisement

I start the tutor training course next week. Am looking forward to it as I've wanted to do it for awhile, but I am also apprehensive about it too...I'd love if there was more details somewhere on the content of the classes.

How are you finding it?

Got word from Fingal Adult Education Service that they're going to be commencing tutor training in February. :) There's still a waiting list, but fingers crossed.

Bumping this thread again....

Did the course, but still waiting for a student. Would really like to get one as I really feel this is a road I want to go down.

Does everyone who does the course get a student, I wonder?

Am wondering the same thing...

Completed the training a few weeks back, but am waiting to hear about being assigned a student.

Advertisement