Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauser .22 Bolt

Options
  • 19-07-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi does anybody know where I can find a replacment bolt for my Mauser .22 rifle ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

eltorob wrote: »
    Hi does anybody know where I can find a replacment bolt for my Mauser .22 rifle ?

Sir - it really depends on how old your Mauser .22 rifle actually is. If, like my ES350 it is pre-WW2, you are pretty much lost unless you can find one that has been junked to replace it - there are positively NO parts for the earlier .22 models without cannibalising another one.

Fer'instance - it took fifteen years of looking on both sides of the ocean to locate a rear sight for MY rifle, and that was only because the noted Mauser maven and author, Jon Speed, took pity on me and found me one at a gun-show in OK. Needless to say, it was not cheap - around $300 at the time.

IF your Mauser is post war- then the chances are a little better, but not much. If you care to PM me with details, I'll do a trace on the rifle for you - IF it is pre-war, and if you are not certain what you are looking for, and I can send you pix of mine to show you what to look for.

Best

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration fund

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

tRY Egun.de

Sika98k wrote: »
    tRY Egun.de

I'd be very surprised if a pressure-bearing component like a bolt could be sold to a furriner without going via a dealer in the RoI.

Worth a try though.

tac

PS - what's wrong with the old bolt?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try gunparts in New York State or SARCO in New Jersey.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Try gunparts in New York State or SARCO in New Jersey.

Sir - We have no idea where the OP is posting from as his profile is as blank as a volunteer's target, but let's assume pro tem that he is in the RoI.

Sadly, it's same deal as buying from Germany - pressure-bearing parts of a firearm mechanism from the USA require an export licence from dealer to dealer.

Excerpt from shipping details of ANY firearms parts dealer or FFL in the USA -

'If you are placing an order for shipment outside of the United States, please review the following information regarding foreign orders.

As of April 1 2008, we will no longer accept export orders where the value of the parts exceeds $100 or that contain a restricted part, requiring an export license from the U.S. Department of State or an import license from the country of destination. (Note: Canada has a $200 parts limit) Postage for all foreign orders is based on weight and destination.
    All foreign orders are shipped via the United States Postal Service and all foreign orders are subject to a $25.00 export handling fee in addition to our regular shipping charges.
    Foreign orders normally require more than the normal 24-48 hr processing time.
    Certain parts are restricted for export by the United States Government, including barrels, barrel blanks, bolt assemblies, cylinders, receivers, frames, bolts, and high capacity magazines. For a complete list of restricted items and models that are restricted or that require additional licensing please click on the link below: Restricted Models List
    The United States government has restrictions in place with regards to countries to which we are unable to export. For the complete list of restricted countries, please click on the link below: Restricted Countries List
    Any additional questions can be emailed in to info@gunpartscorp.com

As I noted in my first post - any parts for pre-WW2 Mausers are past-rare, and usually rely on getting a junker of the same model.

And like I said, it would be good to know what model we are talking about here - post-WW2 Mauser spares for certain models are about as rare as pre-war models, and the OP hasn't let us know which one he is asking about.

tac

• Advertisement

Ok,but apart from the UN ITAR/State Dept BS on exporting,which is not the most insurmountable obstacle either.Can you suggest a better place to look??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ok,but apart from the UN ITAR/State Dept BS on exporting,which is not the most insurmountable obstacle either.Can you suggest a better place to look??

If you are talking to me, nope. I've given all the answers I can think of.

Remember it took me fifteen years of looking hard all over Europe and the USA to find a backsight for a pre-war Mauser, and this guy, whoever he is, wants a bolt. : O

ALL the bits I've EVER seen for pre-war Mauser .22 rifles of ANY kind [and there are many kinds] have come from junkers that were cannibalised for their bits. Find one in RoI that has a crappy barrel, junked stock, broken sights but a good bolt and you're good to go. : )

Like I noted, right now we know ZERO about the type of Mauser .22 the OP is asking about, and he hasn't bothered to come back to us either. The Mauser DSM [a .22 cal military-looking training rifle] WAS made for a while after WW2 by the French in the MAS factory, and they are marked up accordingly, as well as being rare and valuable in their own right.

See - excerpt from BSA History - 'At the end of the War in 1945, the French Government took over the Mauser factories and these training rifles were still in production for a short while. Before long, all the tooling was removed to France along with all the factory-stocked parts as yet unassembled. The rifles were built up in France in the MAS factory, and bore the MAS name thereafter.'

However, in view of the lack of two-way conversation with the OP, I'm off round the pub...

Coming?

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

If you are talking to me, nope. I've given all the answers I can think of.

Remember it took me fifteen years of looking hard all over Europe and the USA to find a backsight for a pre-war Mauser, and this guy, whoever he is, wants a bolt. : O

Thats why I suggested he try maybe either of the two mentioned.
    Sure it's somwhat tough to get it out of the US,but not the worst problem either.Those two places break hundreds of guns a year ,so maybe they might have the bits.
    ALL the bits I've EVER seen for pre-war Mauser .22 rifles of ANY kind [and there are many kinds] have come from junkers that were cannibalised for their bits. Find one in RoI that has a crappy barrel, junked stock, broken sights but a good bolt and you're good to go. : )

That could be a quest to equal the search for the Holy Grail.
    Like I noted, right now we know ZERO about the type of Mauser .22 the OP is asking about, and he hasn't bothered to come back to us either. The Mauser DSM [a .22 cal military-looking training rifle] WAS made for a while after WW2 by the French in the MAS factory, and they are marked up accordingly, as well as being rare and valuable in their own right.
    FACT ! We need that info...
    Here,just a thought! Isnt the Chinese company NORINCO doing copiers of the Mauser K98 and/or the .22 version?If it is our friend might be in luck??

However, in view of the lack of two-way conversation with the OP, I'm off round the pub...

Coming?

If you are buying...?Mines a Jack Daniels with coke.:D

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund[/QUOTE]

Thats why I suggested he try maybe either of the two mentioned. Sure it's somwhat tough to get it out of the US,but not the worst problem either.Those two places break hundreds of guns a year ,so maybe they might have the bits.

First, identify the precise model of Mauser .22...

That could be a quest to equal the search for the Holy Grail.

Worse.

FACT ! We need that info...
    Here,just a thought! Isnt the Chinese company NORINCO doing copiers of the Mauser K98 and/or the .22 version?If it is our friend might be in luck??

Yup, it might just fit.....IF he has a similar model. BUT, the item STILL has to be got from the USA under THEIR laws

If you are buying...?Mines a Jack Daniels with coke.:D

Here y'are, and a bag of salt and vinegar, too. You can't say I'm not generous, even at long distance. :=)

tac

AH So! Norinco being Chinese,doesnt just supply the warmongering running dog capitalist Americans.:D Surely if it is the correct bolt this comerade will be able to purchase his bolt made by glorious workers of the proleitariat in the workers paradise of the Peoples Republic of China,in the decrepit,bankrupt Imperialistic European Union as well??:D:D:D

• Advertisement

AH So! Norinco being Chinese,doesnt just supply the warmongering running dog capitalist Americans.:D Surely if it is the correct bolt this comerade will be able to purchase his bolt made by glorious workers of the proleitariat in the workers paradise of the Peoples Republic of China,in the decrepit,bankrupt Imperialistic European Union as well??:D:D:D

Possibly - Waffen-Frankonia and Kettner in Germany are both NORINCO importers/dealers, but getting a pressure-bearing part out of THEM is even harder than getting one from the USA. I'd also bet the rest of my pension that they wouldn't entertain the deal under the EU H&S rules about replacing a good German bolt with a [ahem] not-German bolt in a German-made firearm. I can see the litigation lawyers lining up right now....

In any case, they would certainly want the old bolt in exhange if only to show that the OP REALLY DID have the thing in the first place.

I'd bet it would be easier to get one made by a gunsmith in the RoI - if needed, and it is the right model, I can bring one of MY bolts over in September on my next visit and get some measurements and so on carried out.

But, Hey! Please, don't let us stop the OP from giving it a try, whoever and wherever he or she might be.

tac

Dunno,if the NORINCO guns are for sale in Germany they will be proof marked for sale,so they wouldnt have that much of a problem then with the bolt.Not to mind German lawyers[Having one who is a cousin in that trade] dont really take on daft cases like the US does in product litigation for items that are over a certain age.Like the famous piper cub or landrover cases Stateside.
    But you are right,they might want evidence of the bolt being destroyed etc.
    An Irish gunsmith who could make up a bolt like this??.Who is this legendary man whom you speak of???

Dunno,if the NORINCO guns are for sale in Germany they will be proof marked for sale,so they wouldnt have that much of a problem then with the bolt.Not to mind German lawyers[Having one who is a cousin in that trade] dont really take on daft cases like the US does in product litigation for items that are over a certain age.Like the famous piper cub or landrover cases Stateside.
    But you are right,they might want evidence of the bolt being destroyed etc.
    An Irish gunsmith who could make up a bolt like this??.Who is this legendary man whom you speak of???

Ay, yes, but you are supposing that the OP, who is still non-communicado, has a Mauser DSM. The bolt for that is the same as the Walther DSM [which I have right here], but is NOT the same as the later .22 Mauser ES and MS-series rifles. I have one each of them as well, BTW, so I know wherof I spoges.

Hey, we're empty - your turn......plain crisps for me, please!

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lightouse Restoration Fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eltorob

Thanks for the info sorry for the late reply i was away for a few days and no connection. I would be most grateful for any help the Serial number is <MOD SNIP> Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Please don't post the serial number of your rifle in public!
    [/MOD]

I'd say the other posters in this thread likely want the particular model of rifle you're talking about here.
    Perhaps a photograph?

eltorob wrote: »
    Thanks for the info sorry for the late reply i was away for a few days and no connection. I would be most grateful for any help the Serial number is <MOD SNIP> Thanks

Aha!! Seeing your serial number NOW I see where we are coming from!!

Definitely NOT a Mauser serial number of any kind.

We are back to square 1 without images and more details of ALL the markings on this gun.

tac

Advertisement