Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remving oil stains from carpet

• 19-07-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have oil stains from my bike on my carpet at home. Any suggestions as to how to remove them if its dried in.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Whatever you do don't use anything with bleach. As in, make sure it doesn't contain bleach and not explicitly state it on the label, stupid manufacturers.

Vanish? That's pretty much my answer to all stains.

Alternatively, you could try and hide it by covering the entire carpet in oil and just tell the wife you bought new carpets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Vanish doesn't work, just add more stains and say that that's the new pattern for the carpet :)

I've not really found anything shifts it from my carpets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Swarfega and a toothbrush?

The internet agrees with Tiny, I was sold on the packaging. This might be a winner, if a little extreme:
    Methylated alcohol, otherwise known as “wood spirits”, and ammonia can be mixed together to make an effective motor oil stain remover. In a disposable container, mix together one-part wood spirits to one part ammonia. Make sure the room has adequate ventilation, and test the mixture on a scrap piece of carpeting or fabric before using it on your good items. Recreate the motor oil stain, and use a sponge to gently blot the area. If the scrap material is damaged, reduce the amount of ammonia in the cleaning solution. Recreate the motor oil stain, and attempt to remove the stain again. If damage occurs, reduce the amount of ammonia once more, and continue this process until the solution effectively removes the stain without damaging the material. After the stain has been removed, clean the area with warm water and mild soap. Rinse it thoroughly, and allow it to dry. Properly dispose of any unused cleaning solution.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The internet agrees with Tiny, I was sold on the packaging. This might be a winner, if a little extreme:

'recreate the motor oil stain' eh -fix it by adding more! :)

I only know about vanish because I've tried it, and now given up and enjoy the oil stained floor -reminds me of when I was a proper cyclist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The wealth of information on a cycling forum ... must actually try that on a white jersey i have with oil stains see if it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Off topic but when glueing a tub I a few years back I glued the wheel to the carpet. Got in a little bother for that one.

tunney wrote: »
    Off topic but when glueing a tub I a few years back I glued the wheel to the carpet. Got in a little bother for that one.

Tell her the carpet is less likely to get a pinch flat now.

Glue is pretty easy to get rid of though:
    Dissolving Glue On Clothes
    When glue accidentally sticks on clothes it can make the worst stains. Here’s how to get it off.
    Make sure the fabric is washable before you proceed. If it is, then soak the affected area in warm soapy water.
    Using a dull knife, see if you can scrape the excess glue off. Be careful, so the material won’t be damaged.
    Get some acetone and test its effect on the fabric, on a small inconspicuous area. If it doesn’t harm the cloth or discolor it, dab some acetone on the affected area. If needed, scrub the area a bit.
    When all the glue has been removed, wash the cloth thoroughly and let it dry.
    Glue may be a difficult substance to deal with, but you don’t have to live with its damage. With these tips, you’ll never find yourself in a sticky situation again. For more information regarding this article, read how to get rid of super glue.

Adapt for a carpet, use a hoover to dry it after.

I hope you just cut the wheel from the carpet and told people the carpet fuzz was an aero advantage

Dirkvodoo whats your hourly rate ? if you come clean my house i ll get a chance to get back out the bike again

• Advertisement

Always keep the carpet fuzz trimmed levitronix.

EDIT: Yeah I could be like that woman who goes around cleaning houses on TV, but I could "euro-fy" them instead.

Dirk Wan - It's a little something called style, accessorise with some religious iconography girlfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

tunney wrote: »

Getting caught degreasing a chain in the small sink in the kitchen didn't win me husband of the moment! Thought I'd be finished and tidied up before she got home.

OP - you could try a stain devil - I'm sure there's one for oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Jawgap wrote: »
    Getting caught degreasing a chain in the small sink in the kitchen didn't win me husband of the moment! Thought I'd be finished and tidied up before she got home.

Called to a friends house one day, the bathtub and toilet were in a mess with oil and grime and the like everyone. Obvious someone had cleaned the bike in the bath and the chain in the toilet.

I was amazed he had the balls to do it and told him his wife would kill him. His response "Nope, she won't, it was her"

I think Juan Sheet from the bounty ads is daniel navarro in the off season ... one sheet and the dirt if gone ..

I love that ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I once washed oil-stained cobble-lock bricks in the dishwasher. Came out lovely and clean but the sand in the runners grated for months afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Pour some red wine over it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I had this problem after greasing my chain and then going on the rollers, result was oil everywhere. I soaked the stains in WD40 and then patted with kitchen towel. Got rid of the oil and made Mrs Signal_rabbit a happy bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

Just give it a good scrub with washing-up liquid and a bit of hot water....that's what i always use to get oil out of anything. Never tried it on carpet though but it works.....just scrub scrub scrub and scrub again :D

I think im the only one who hasnt ruined a carpet yet

• Advertisement

levitronix wrote: »
    I think im the only one who hasnt ruined a carpet yet

Yes

So thats why im not winning races ! im not committed enough ... ahh i see now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i think this thread is a stain on the cycling forum.....

any good cooking tips for chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 badgerpm

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't use anything with bleach. As in, make sure it doesn't contain bleach and not explicitly state it on the label, stupid manufacturers.

Vanish? That's pretty much my answer to all stains.

Alternatively, you could try and hide it by covering the entire carpet in oil and just tell the wife you bought new carpets.

I laughed so hard...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

just get new carpet and say "hey honey i decided to surprise you with some new carpet"

OR

put a plant/piece of furniture over the offending area

OR

use an iron and some paper (plain) - put the paper between the iron and the oil and see if it'll soak some of it up.....dunno if it'll work but it works for candle wax....

OR

Washing-up (fairy) liquid as i described earlier

OR

get wooden floors

Now I'm bang outta ideas :)

Drapper wrote: »
    i think this thread is a stain on the cycling forum.....

any good cooking tips for chips?

Cook em 3 times is the best for chips... wash your spuds to remove starch, boil em for 10 mins, then fry at 130°C for 5 or 6 minutes, before turning temp up to 180 for the final, crispy cooking time!

Oh, and if you use duck fat it's even better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

What's the problem with getting oil on the carpet in your bike storage building?

Advertisement