Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QOS [xbox live]

• 19-07-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    recently installed the tomato firmware on my linksys and setup QOS
    basically giving the xbox ports/mac address highest priority and default is at 35%, i tested the internet speed and its averages about that so QOS seems to be setup right

but when i play online while someone is surfing the net, i still get lag.

im on vodafone 3-4mb

surely xbox live shudnt need that much
    game is Super Street Fighter 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Both using wireless? Two devices passing traffic to a router at different speeds can cause lag. If one device has a full signal and talks to the router at 54MB/s and the other has weaker signal at only 18MB/s, the router would have to slow down to talk to the weaker signal device. The answer to this is dual band routers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're using tomato and wanting QoS to work properly, you'll want to work your way through Toastman's QoS thread on the linksysinfo.org forum to get it set up perfectly.

i just followed his guide to set mine up and nothing affects anything else I do online now. it's actually pretty amazing for a 40 quid consumer grade router and a firmware made by guys in their bedrooms in their spare time tbh.

it might be a bit different for me because i've got the upc 30mbps, but i can be downloading torrents at 20mbps and still working from home using remote desktop connected via vpn to my office and not even notice anything else is going on.

if i'm totally honest, it's pretty f00king amazing! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

il have a look at the link thanks

well xbox live is wired
    the rest is wireless !

Advertisement