Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variagated Privet

Options
  • 19-07-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have had 0 success with these cuttings..anyone know where i can buy these in dublin or tips for taking cuttings..i had success last year with 6 pots with plastic bags wrapped around the top of the pot but 0 success in a mini polytunnel. is it too late now for cuttings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now is a good time to take half ripe cuttings. Thats growth that is mostly new but has turned into mature looking wood at the bottom. Pull off a 8" (ish) length of newish twig so that it comes away from the main stem leaving a little 'heel' at the bottom. Strip most of the leaves up to the top six or so. Some cuttings are best if you stand them in water for a few hours, others prefer to be dry, I would try the water. Some shrubs will grow roots in just water but I don't think privet would. Dip in rooting powder (optional but helpful) and plant a couple of inches deep in something like John Innes compost.

The plastic bag method is usually more successful than a tunnel as it produces a more humid environment, but really many shrubs will root in a cold frame or cloche, given reasonable weather. Don't leave the bag on too long, as soon as you see the cutting looking perky and showing signs of growing, gradually take it off. Take about twice as many cuttings as you need, you will always lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

thanks very much ill plant about 20 or so this evening. another problem i had was finding plastic bags big enough..ill have a look through tesco this evening. hard to find a clear plastic bag with an 8 inch depth.

Advertisement