Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munich!

• 19-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few mates are heading to Munich on Monday, going to be there a week so we have plenty of time to explore the place. I know about most of the big touristy things there from reading on the net but is there anyone here who has spent alot of time in Munich and would point out to us a few of the not so common things to do?

All appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Brilliant, sweet dude. Was on the Irish Times website earlier but saw nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

you must go for dinner (and many drinks) in the bier hall, can't remember what it's called, really big, swastikas painted over on the roof....opposite hard rock cafe...
    anyway, the food is so Bavarian:meat, potato, gravy and tasty! and if you're into your beers you have to check it out, i enjoyed it even as a non drinker (my OH is a bit of a beer boffin)...
    the pretzels are so super tasty and the girls that work there are straight out of postcards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

tfak85 wrote: »
    you must go for dinner (and many drinks) in the bier hall, can't remember what it's called, really big, swastikas painted over on the roof....opposite hard rock cafe...

The bier hall is the Hofbrauhaus. Its got waitresses in the traditional outfits and usually has a traditional blass music band playing. It is worth seeing but can be very touristy. I suppose its like temple bar, you won't find many germans there, they think of it as a bavarian disneyland. The waiters there can be quite rude and abrupt and you are often left waiting quite a bit for service, nonetheless its a must see

i lived in munich for a year. There is another bier hall on the main shopping street near Marienplatz (where the town hall is) called the Augustiner keller, that's worth a visit too. Augustiner is the nicest brand of beer! :0)
    If the weather is nice you should definitely head over to the English Gardens. They have a chinese tower in the middle and there would be music around it and suprpise surprise another beer garden :D

The Olympiapark is really nice too. Its really chilled out and you can walk around the old olympia stadium

If you fancy a big night out, there is a place called kultfabrik near the Ostbahnhof train station. Its a load of clubs, pubs, fast food places all built next to each other on an old factory ground. The clubs are open all night and its quite cheap. There's lots of places there to suit all tastes.

If you want to stay in the city centre there is a 24 hour pub at Sendlinger Tor! You meet 'interesting' people there during the night. If all else fails there is a really nicce Irish pub called Killians behind the cathedral. They always have a great atmosphere in there.

there's loads to do in Munich, you'll love it! The shopping is great and there's the Nymphenburg palace on the outskirts of the city. There's Neuschwanstein castle a little bit outside of the city where the disney castle is too and Salzburg just over the Austrian border is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Defiantly head for the English Gardens. Really pretty place to hang out. There is also a river which has been channelled in such a way that the water flows at great speed down its course so you can jump in and be whisked away! They surf on it too:

1267989413_304a83afb1.jpg
    Also, don't know if it would be your thing but The Deutsches Museum has/ (had, about 6 years ago now) some really cool 'interactivey' type thingies. As you probably guess from my accurate and detailed description I'm not a regular museum goer, but this place is deadly.
    http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/

Christ that was a blookish reply.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

The Hofbrauhaus and the Science Museum have been on cards since day one, who would go to Munich and not go? Can't wait

Kultfabrik sounds perfect for us since we are on student budget

Cheers for the responses people, appreciate it - if ye have any more keep them coming.
    Going to put markers on my Google Maps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The bier hall is the Hofbrauhaus. Its got waitresses in the traditional outfits and usually has a traditional blass music band playing. It is worth seeing but can be very touristy. I suppose its like temple bar, you won't find many germans there, they think of it as a bavarian disneyland. The waiters there can be quite rude and abrupt and you are often left waiting quite a bit for service, nonetheless its a must see

i thought there seemed to be alot of locals in there, perhaps it's because it was christmas....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Museum
    http://www.bmw-museum.de/2/webmill.php

This is located on the "Mittlerer Ring" a dual carriageway through Munich.
    It is near the Olympic Park.
    It is beside the BMW Head Office. This is a tower in the shape of a four
    cylinder engine.
    Closed on Mondays.

U-Bahn: Petuelring and Olympizentrum, U3. [BMW recommend Olympiazentrum only]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

After flying into Munich most people take the S-Bahn train into Munich. There is also a Lufthansa Bus from the central area Z to the main station.
    Firstly it takes the A92 and after 15 minutes the A9 Autobahn. This has four lanes into Munich.
    On that you can see:
    - plenty of fast driving and overtaking. Speeds of 220+ km/h happen.
    - 20 km traffic jam ocasionally
    - high volumes of traffic, just outside Munich its peak is 144.000 cars per day

That bus stays around 100 km/h in the two slow lanes.

Lots of people talk about the high speeds on German Autobahns.

You could hit a day when the variable speed controls are activated.
    Then speeds of : 120, 100, 80 Km/hour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If you want to stay in the city centre there is a 24 hour pub at Sendlinger Tor! You meet 'interesting' people there during the night. If all else fails there is a really nicce Irish pub called Killians behind the cathedral. They always have a great atmosphere in there.

I was around Sendlinger Tor tonight....a strange place..:eek:

Dunno what is in the touristy write-ups, one place I forgot about on my first trip here was Dachau within easy reach by S-Bahn. Fascinating place which I think you walk around by yourself. And obviously the Allianz Arena too - I am now passing by it every night and it is some sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement