Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 months teething and temp

Options
  • 19-07-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My 12 month old daughter is suffering really bad with her teeth, she gets a really high temp between 101-103, now her form is great you would think she has a temp but she has completely gone off her food. She has always suffered with a high temp when teething but this time seems to be worse, I think she could be cutting her molars.
    Any suggestions on how I can ease her pain, I am alternating between nurofen and calpol (doc's reccomendation). Wondering is there anything else I can try:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

My son suffered very badly with his teeth when the first ones came through and I used Teetha, Its homeopathic and can be given every two hours. I used Calpol and Nurofen and found this to be better than both. You can get it in most chemists and it comes in gel and powder. I found that the powder was better. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I find Calgel brilliant. You can't get in Ireland unfortunately, but you can get it up the North or else order online from UK chemists.
    I was cutting a wisdom tooth last week & tried a bit of it on that, its great stuff! Really numbs the sore gums.
    Doesn't reduce the temperature though, I think Calpol is the best bet for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Teething
    What can you do about it?

Obviously you want to ease the baby's pain if you can. Scope may be limited, but experiment with any of the following:
    Something to chew on if the baby is old enough. This could be anything from a teething ring (a ring-shaped toy designed for a baby to chew on) to a piece of raw carrot if the baby is old enough for this - about six months and up. If you can keep something ready in the fridge once you know the baby is teething, the coolness will help it too - whether it's a teething ring or a piece of food.

A cool drink may also alleviate the discomfort.

Teething gel. This generally works for half an hour at the most, and many varieties have a maximum dose of once every three or four hours (so check the pack). Some don't, and can be used more frequently, but still shouldn't be overused. Also check for a minimum age; some are only suitable from four months. Teething gel is in effect a very mild local anaesthetic gel.

If the baby is in a lot of discomfort and sleeping badly as a result of the teething, you can give it infant paracetamol solution or ibuprofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If it's really bad you can double up and give ibuprofen and calpol together. See link Safe as long as you do not exceed the maximum dose in 24hrs. Haven't had to use it in months and months but it worked like a charm.

Advertisement