Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing bathroom for tiling.

• 19-07-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've a new bathroom being done and i've a built in counter top unit which the basin is going to sit on top of, i'm just getting ready to tile over the unit now (it's made up of ply) and i've 2 queries.

1. Is there a method used by tilers to allow you to access the pipes behind the unit for the sink when the tiles are done, don't really want a loose tile left somewhere, heard something about a magnetic door???

2. Should i look at treating any timber (ply) before tiling over with the normal tile adhesive. Was thinking maybe a tanking kit for all timber surfaces which would be the counter top and a shelf in the shower.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've a new bathroom being done and i've a built in counter top unit which the basin is going to sit on top of, i'm just getting ready to tile over the unit now (it's made up of ply) and i've 2 queries.

1. Is there a method used by tilers to allow you to access the pipes behind the unit for the sink when the tiles are done, don't really want a loose tile left somewhere, heard something about a magnetic door???

2. Should i look at treating any timber (ply) before tiling over with the normal tile adhesive. Was thinking maybe a tanking kit for all timber surfaces which would be the counter top and a shelf in the shower.

On question one.... no! unless you have an access panel just keep a box of tiles spare. However you should not get much trouble. An idea to consider would be to use a wirquin flexi trap on the basin and taps with flexi's and that way you would be able to lift the basin high enough to change the tap should you need to

If its going to be a shelf in the shower no harm in tanking it however a tiler would only treat it with primer or PVA.

Advertisement