Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks Being Let Off In The Ballybane Area

Options
  • 19-07-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Last night for a quite a lot of this morning the local thugs in the area seem to have started the halloween fireworks.I have never come across anything like this before but i hope it might be an isolated incident.It's bad enough for people putting up with that crap in October nevermind July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Happens all the time in Ballybane. Just have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Didn't hear anything last night and I always do, as I hate them with a passion.Whereabouts in ballbane?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Didn't hear anything last night and I always do, as I hate them with a passion.Whereabouts in ballbane?

Around the Ballybane Road area i know there was fireworks in town for the macnas parade but this had nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just hope that it was a one off and wait for the usual Baghdad experience in October.

There at it again now.I have heard the odd firework outside of halloween before but nothing like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Sounds like some local "entrepreneur" imported some for the Arts festival/Race week. Course the real tragedy will occur when a really young child gets their hands on some but the thugs who trade in this stuff don't give a damn about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Ah Ballybane, what a place.

Shopping in SuperValu there is a scary experience, all of the undesirables acting undesirably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've heard a few too over the last couple of weeks, towards the Merlin Woods side. Some sound bigger than just a 'banger'. Let's hope no-one gets injured !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Used to be the "Bomber" Fahy's area. Perhaps he has come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Ah Ballybane, what a place.

Shopping in SuperValu there is a scary experience, all of the undesirables acting undesirably.

eh, what? I've been shopping up in ballybane SuperValu for near 10 years when it was the Kumarket (or Quickiemart as we students called it) and then Londis, even around Supervalu around 9pm after work, never had any hassle except the young kids about outside, who to be fair are not that intimidating!

Jeez, there's plenty of nice folk around Ballybane, don't paint all with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Didn't hear any.. Although there was a couple of squad cars driving around at one stage.. If ye think it's bad now, just wait until october... I don't really mind when they do it around Halloween with 'normal' fireworks but some of them are like blasting at a quarry... My poor dog will be terrified....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevalz

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Happens all the time in Ballybane. Just have to put up with it.

As someone who has lived near the area for 20 years, I can say this is untrue. People like to give places a bad name without reason half the time or because they heard 'something from someone'.

As thefeatheredcat said, don't tar everyone with the same brush. There are far more nice people than bad in Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are far more nice people than bad in Ballybane.

True. And some pretty nice horses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

JustMary wrote: »

Drove thru it yesterday with my 11yr old daughter. She was amazed to see the horses wandering around the streets. She had been kicked by a friends horse 4 years earlier and sufered a horrendous femur fracture and she couldn't understand how horses could be allowed to roam around the front of peoples houses!!!!!

I couldn't explain it either. She quite rightly said that if she lived there she would be too afraid to leave the house:(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

JustMary wrote: »

Wow. Glad to see some people of Galway haven't changed and still seem as ignorant as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

My girlfriend lives in Ballybane and has two front doors and a little porch in between.

Recently someone put some sort of explosive device into her letterbox; it blew it apart and blew in the stained glass window next to the 2nd door. This is where the phone is located; when people are on the phone, they sit on the bottom step of the stairs. If someone was on the phone at that time, they would have got a faceful of glass.

I hope they get caught but they'll probably get away with this scott free:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Drove thru it yesterday with my 11yr old daughter. She was amazed to see the horses wandering around the streets.

where did you see them roaming the streets? My bf lives there and the green/park across the road has a few horses there..some days they are tied other days they aren't but they never leave the area.
    i spent alot of time there as a kid with relations living there and last few years with bf living there and never have I seen horses wandering round the streets. Even in the estates across from Supervalu the horses are always in the fields or green areas

fifib wrote: »
    where did you see them roaming the streets? My bf lives there and the green/park across the road has a few horses there..some days they are tied other days they aren't but they never leave the area.
    i spent alot of time there as a kid with relations living there and last few years with bf living there and never have I seen horses wandering round the streets. Even in the estates across from Supervalu the horses are always in the fields or green areas

Just across from the church. One of them was up at the driveway of a house!!

Just across from the church. One of them was up at the driveway of a house!!

I live just down from there and in the green across from me there does be a couple of horses there lately(2-3months) which are always tied up. In the area you are on about i've seen horses there(tied up also).. I'm not saying that you are lying, just saying it is an isolated incident. Maybe i'm being a bit to defensive of the area where i grew up, but I feel like the area is being depicted as the wild wild west.. These horse owners would not want their horses roaming around freely just as we don't.. Again, I'm not having a go at anyone, just giving my opinion;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

In the estate I live in there are no horses, tied up or otherwise...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There are always some young morons trying to abuse the poor fecker who works security in the supervalu. Last time I was there the little bastards let off a stink bomb in the xtra vision.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I live just down from there and in the green across from me there does be a couple of horses there lately(2-3months) which are always tied up. In the area you are on about i've seen horses there(tied up also).. I'm not saying that you are lying, just saying it is an isolated incident. Maybe i'm being a bit to defensive of the area where i grew up, but I feel like the area is being depicted as the wild wild west.. These horse owners would not want their horses roaming around freely just as we don't.. Again, I'm not having a go at anyone, just giving my opinion;)

Believe me, I'm not having a go at the area and I know your not accusing me of this Martyboy48. I'm born and bred in the Rahoon Flats myself and spent my first 20 years living in the Westside so I can understand what it's like for an area to be given a bad reputation for a few isolated incidents!!

There were 3 horses iirc in the green area. One large and 2 small ones and honestly I don't know if they were tied up. There was small foal/pony/shetland pony (sorry, I don't know much about horses) which had it's head just inside the driveway of a persons house near the group of horses on the green......

Honestly not sure if they were tied up but whether they were or not, the small horse/pony? was headfirst in a persons drive. Only saying what I saw on the day. It's quite possible that little kids untied the horse or it came loose from any ties on the particular day in question....

no offense meant on my part to any Ballybaners:)

No problem fluffyorganic1, it is right to err on the side of caution with animals, relating to the safety of people(esp kids)..
    This is what I like about boards.ie, an open discussion without it turning bad with keyboard warriors and insults.. Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

eh, what? I've been shopping up in ballybane SuperValu for near 10 years when it was the Kumarket (or Quickiemart as we students called it) and then Londis, even around Supervalu around 9pm after work, never had any hassle except the young kids about outside, who to be fair are not that intimidating!

I remember the Kumarket, it was like something from decades and decades ago.
    Staff wearing dreary uniforms, place badly laid out and it wasn't as bright as it is now.
    Realy, most other shops had moved on a long time before Kumarket did.
    There were steps at the front of the carpark and unlit. Deadly they were, walking down steps you can barely see is never safe, fell once or twice.
    I've no doubt somebody put in a compensation claim at some stage

Place was plagued with kids asking you to buy drink, they are harmless, just walk on

Keith Finnegan is gonna get to the bottom of this story on the radio after the break so no fear folks, help is at hand!!:rolleyes:

Average-Ro wrote: »
    My girlfriend lives in Ballybane and has two front doors and a little porch in between.

Recently someone put some sort of explosive device into her letterbox; it blew it apart and blew in the stained glass window next to the 2nd door. This is where the phone is located; when people are on the phone, they sit on the bottom step of the stairs. If someone was on the phone at that time, they would have got a faceful of glass.

I hope they get caught but they'll probably get away with this scott free:mad:

What the heck is going before you would only have to worry about that in halloween time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What the heck is going before you would only have to worry about that in halloween time?

Even at Halloween things didn't seem to be overly bad, not "damaging proprty" bad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow. Glad to see some people of Galway haven't changed and still seem as ignorant as before.

No ignorance involved, simply stating a fact.

I was up there on the weekend, dropping something off at the library. There were definitely two very nice looking horses on the green area by the bus-stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement