Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting Windows 7 to Win Xp

• 19-07-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    Hope you can help. I have a new laptop with windows 7 professional. I've discovered that alot of my old software (plc and scada in particular) won't work on it. I have a virtual pc from vm ware copied from someone else but it won't recognise my usb drives so I've tried to install a virtual pc/xp mode from microsofts website but when i get to the last upgrades it crashes the computer with a blue screen. Can i just uninstall win 7 without damaging my other software and install xp? Is there something i'm missing or doing wrong? Please help!
    Thanks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

welcome to boards!

downgrading from windows 7 to xp would generally require a reformat. you could just install xp on the same drive but your software will need to be reinstalled regardless. your best option is just to back up your personal files and format/install xp. copy our files to an external hard drive or burn them to dvds and downgrade to xp

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishbird01

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for a quick reply! I thought this might be case but i thought i might get away with doing that by installing a virtual machine but nothing seems to work!! Anway i guess it's the only option really.
    Thanks again for your help!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you could dual-boot your machine, and have two OS's running on it. i've windows 7 pro as well, but i'm thinking of dual-booting XP to play games on it.
    that way you keep your files and win7, and all you have to do is install XP on a partition of your hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

thats what i have done on my pc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishbird01

I'm trying that at the moment but i can't seem to get a free partitioning tool for windows 7 64bit. Easus and partiton wizard won't let me install. anyone know of one?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

do you have admin rights?

you can partition drives without any software in windows 7. i'm not sure on the specifics though. somehting to do in "Disk Management" and shrinking volumes. maybe someone else can help :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

start-search (disk management)-create and partition hd, when it loads your partitions that are present right click on the one you want and select shrink.
    The partition that is under 200 MB should not be touched.
    here you go http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

either dual boot, use ms virtual pc and have xp vm, no reason this wouldnt work or try running programs in xp compatibility mode.. 3rd option would be best start ..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

I'm setting up a dual boot of xp on my win7. I'm booting from the XP disc, but everything is acting funny. I dual booted before, but aint sure if I'm doing it right? The boot disc just keeps rebooting the computer?

Advertisement