Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access VM from host but can do on other computers..

• 19-07-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm having a problem with my VMware VM (WinXP). I have set up the VM network connection to bridge so it has its own IP on the network. I can ping it and access it's services (web / file) from all networked computers via IP except for the host computer, where I can only ping.

Has anybody had this issue before? What's up the host not seeing the services on the VM but can ping the IP successfully?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

techguy wrote: »
    Hi There,

I'm having a problem with my VMware VM (WinXP). I have set up the VM network connection to bridge so it has its own IP on the network. I can ping it and access it's services (web / file) from all networked computers via IP except for the host computer, where I can only ping.

Has anybody had this issue before? What's up the host not seeing the services on the VM but can ping the IP successfully?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

this may get more views on server forum over on computers & technology.. How many NICS do you have in the host? two separate nics are recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

OP do you want this moved over to Servers & Systems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok rmacm, fire away.

I've never really had much to do with Servers & Systems so didn't think of posting there..

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms.

corkcomp wrote: »
    How many NICS do you have in the host? two separate nics are recommended.

I have two onboard NICS on my motherboard. I have tried setting up brdige with 1 and two NICS. Both times the host can ony ping the guest buut never access it's services like filesharing (windows) and internet (apache port 80).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I have two onboard NICS on my motherboard. I have tried setting up brdige with 1 and two NICS. Both times the host can ony ping the guest buut never access it's services like filesharing (windows) and internet (apache port 80).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

normally the issue you describe is related to either firewall or using single nic configuration.. you should let one nic for the host itself only and bind the vm to the other

I have tried this with both firewalls off and it's fine.

Also, I can access everything on the Guest from other computers on the network. I can ping get the web server, files etc.

The only problem is with the host..

How would I go about binding the VM to the 2nd NIC? I have previously tried this by selecting network bridge to the 2nd NIC in the VM settings. This has failed also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 brianoconnell

Is the second nic attached to anything? If it's not, you might try disabling it.

I just tested with my vmware server on my vista home edition laptop, pinging my xp vm failed initially and then came to life. File share works ok.

I'm not sure it help's or not but I noticed the mac address for the xp vm is the same as mac for the laptop.

Is the second nic attached to anything? If it's not, you might try disabling it.

I just tested with my vmware server on my vista home edition laptop, pinging my xp vm failed initially and then came to life. File share works ok.

I'm not sure it help's or not but I noticed the mac address for the xp vm is the same as mac for the laptop.

No, the second NIC is unused and I always have it disabled.

I remember checking MAC addresses before, double checked now and they are different.

I'm after installing Server 2003 on a new VM now. I'll see how that goes.
    The VM i'm having trouble with was created using easyvmx.com so i'm putting it down to that at the moment. The new VM is created with VMW workstation so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help..

Nope,

still no joy. Can access the new VM's file shares from other pcs but not the host.. ARRGH!!

Where to next I wonder?

• Advertisement

Nope,

still no joy. Can access the new VM's file shares from other pcs but not the host.. ARRGH!!

Where to next I wonder?

enable the second nic. connect it to a switch / hub and bind the vm to it..

I've tried that.. Well what i've done is:

Enable 2nd NIC, connect to switch.. set VM to bridge via the 2nd NIC.

If by "bind" you mean something else, then do tell :D

I'm going to try that again and see how it goes..

I've tried that.. Well what i've done is:

Enable 2nd NIC, connect to switch.. set VM to bridge via the 2nd NIC.

If by "bind" you mean something else, then do tell :D

I'm going to try that again and see how it goes..

yep thats pretty much what i meant.. if that doesnt work i'll post a screen shot of my work setup tomorrow if I get a chance

That'd be great. Thanks..

EDIT: No luck with the second NIC and binding VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 brianoconnell

The long haul would be check DHCP/DNS for host and guest, confirm all have a working default route. Try and access host services from the guest. If that does not throw up anything, I would try a network monitor to see what going on - Wireshark is my tool of choice (it's free!) but there is a learning curve if you are not already familiar with network protocols.

Also file shareing might not be using DNS for name resolution. You could try accessing the guest shares by it's ip address. For example from a command prompt "net view \\ip.of.your.guest".

It's working now.. I typed net view \\ ip_addr in both guest and host.

Now I can get everything.. and also throught the computer name. It's even working with the VM bound to the same NIC as host..

It's really strange tbh. The only conclusion I can come to is that when I typed "net view \\ip_addr" it "woke up" the host and it began to see the guest from then on..

Thanks for all your hel guys..

Advertisement