Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

• 19-07-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just finished the LC, planning on going to college next year to become secondary school teacher. Would love to give grinds to JC / LC students in most subjects at weekends in September and even at the end of summer if anyone was interested. Do you think I could do that considering i'm not qualified, etC? :confused: Obviously I'd only charge a fraction of what a qualified teacher would charge!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

LL92 wrote: »
    Do you think I could do that considering i'm not qualified, etC?

You can do it no problem. Some colleges have a database of students who give LC grinds and parents contact the college looking for students to give grinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just finished the LC, planning on going to college next year to become secondary school teacher. Would love to give grinds to JC / LC students in most subjects at weekends in September and even at the end of summer if anyone was interested. Do you think I could do that considering i'm not qualified, etC? :confused: Obviously I'd only charge a fraction of what a qualified teacher would charge!

Not doubting your abilities, but if I saw an ad for a leaving cert student offering most subjects I would wonder what exactly they were capable of. I'm a science teacher so I stick to science grinds and occasionally maths grinds. If I saw an ad saying 'grinds in french, biology, history, maths, business from 1st year college student' I would think the student is only chancing their arm.

Are you expecting As in all of your subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

Are you expecting As in all of your subjects?

I agree with this, I think you should stick to giving grinds in only the subjects you get A's in. If you got a C in a subject yourself you would only be giving your classes to your grindees at a C level, if you know what I mean!!

And, if you get all A's I'm sure any parent would be happy to get you to give grinds to their child, because they would be getting it at a lower rate than a qualified teacher. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Plus, if you did an LC subject at higher level, you might not be familiar with the ordinary level course. Sounds silly, but often they have different material. I do HL Maths, and one night I was helping out my friend who does OL Maths. I thought it would be fairly doable for me, but there were questions that I wasn't familiar with, such as Simpson's Rule, etc. and therefore wasn't much help in those sections!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

Thanks guys, I see what ye mean! :D And seeing as i'm not exactly perfect :rolleyes: , I think i'l stick to the one or two i'm good at! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks guys, I see what ye mean! :D And seeing as i'm not exactly perfect :rolleyes: , I think i'l stick to the one or two i'm good at! :p

The only problem with that is that you need to know both the higher level courses and ordinary level courses. Giving grinds in those that you are good in, just make sure that you pitch the material at an appropriate level, you might be an A1 student giving a grind to a C3 student, so your understanding of the subject is at a higher level and you could start out trying to explain it at the level you are, rather than at the level your student is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Hi when i was getting JC HL Maths grinds the guy teaching me was in his Final year of Primary Teaching in St. Pats he got like a B2 in Maths so he was well capable of teaching me. He charged 20e for an Hour which was good!!. I had previously gone to a maths teacher who charged 35e an hour and there was 2 other people in the class with me!! And tbh he was sh*te..

Advertisement