Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there any point?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

so basically i am gathering all my info together for the grant and ive completley screwed myself over regarding the living situation. i have my birthcert, p21 from 2009 ,p60 from 2009 (with my old address on it,totally retarded i know,but wasnt something that i ever took any notice of before,cause i didnt need it for anything until now) have been working in the same shop for the last 5 years. have a cert from a plc i did years ago and thats all i have really. i have no way of actually proving that i have been living independantly for the last few years. been renting in my friends house for the last 2 years(who owns it,and lives there also) so all bills come in his name. all my bank statements go to my home address( i know,again totally stupid,but wasnt something that ever bothered me before because i had no need for it). so is there any point in sending all the forms and documnets to the vec,or is it just going to be a point blank no? cause if i cant get some form of grant then i defineltly wont be able to go to college full time. sorry now, i know this is a bit of a pointless question to say the least,just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and has any good come of it.:confused:

thanks
    amy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

If you have any records of you making payments for rent you could try that.

Im kind of in the same boat, rented for a year but didnt bother changing any billing addresses as my parents literally lived around the corner. So i really have no record of it.

I do have Direct Debit records from payments made to my Landlord and a reference and letter from her to state i was a tenant etc.

Not sure that will do but it might. Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

This may appear blatantly obvious, but have you contacted the county council you will be applying to, and asking them to advise you.

After all it is they who will be assessing your application.

A certified letter from your landlord stating that you have resided at his place for the past few years may suffice.

In my own application I could only furnish proof of address from one single source, ntl bill's going back a few years.

I was, like yourself, worried that as my three copies of P60's showed my parents address, furnishing proof of address from only one source would cause difficulties so I asked the county council, and my ntl's bill would do.

So give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi there,

My p60 has my parents address (never changed my work personal info-we just don't think of these things do we) I attached a post-it to my p60 explaining how I never updated my work personal info. But my bank statements have my rented address. And my p21 and cao stuff also. I handed all this in to the grant office and haven't heard back from them so im hoping its a good sign. But I will get a signed tenents agreement if they ask for it. I would apply if I was you, you have nothing to lose, just get a signed letter from your landlord stating how long you've been there and your monthly rent (although the monthly rent probably doesn't matter)

You have nothing to lose by applying, and you can change all your correspondance now to prepare for next year. You can apply for the grany every year so even if your refused this year, you can apply for sept 11 and you'll just have this year to worry about funding rather than 4 years. A part-time job might get you through this year.

Im hoping to get a part time job to get me through these 4 years. Don't give up apply for EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

This may appear blatantly obvious, but have you contacted the county council you will be applying to, and asking them to advise you.

After all it is they who will be assessing your application.

A certified letter from your landlord stating that you have resided at his place for the past few years may suffice.

In my own application I could only furnish proof of address from one single source, ntl bill's going back a few years.

I was, like yourself, worried that as my three copies of P60's showed my parents address, furnishing proof of address from only one source would cause difficulties so I asked the county council, and my ntl's bill would do.

So give them a call.

yes,i emailed the vec regarding it,no reply. so rang them then. she was so unhelpful. bascially told me to keep looking,that i had to have some sort of bill or that. told her i didnt numerous times,explained to her my situation,she just said to keep looking! bascially said i was stupid for having my bank statements going to my home address , that, "thats what all the young people are doing these days ", whatever that is meant to mean i dont know!

see the landlord of the house isnt registered,(as he lives in the premises himself,so its not required) i asked could he provide a bank statemtent showing that i paid rent every month and have lived there for last 2 years,she said it wasnt sufficient. that they are getting tougher on people applying and you need more supporting evidence.

sorry just one other question, is it just a p60 from 2009 you need or p60's for the last 3 years?

thanks again
    amy

The p60 for 09 is all you need, and the p21.

The last 3 years only apply if they think you lived outside the country, we need to prove we have resided in the country for 3 of the last 5 years. You can order the last 3 p21s online at payeanytime but this is only required in certain cases. So for now, you have the documents you need.

My landlord isn't registered either and he also lives in the house as does his wife, and i don't know if they'll accept an agreement from him but if they ask its all i can give them.

Did your cao stuff go there? your mobile phone bill? i know its frustrating that they dont seem to listen and they can be brutally rude. You may need to accept the fact that you'll have to have your parents means tested this year, which is totally unfair I know.

• Advertisement

smilerxxx wrote: »
    The p60 for 09 is all you need, and the p21.

The last 3 years only apply if they think you lived outside the country, we need to prove we have resided in the country for 3 of the last 5 years. You can order the last 3 p21s online at payeanytime but this is only required in certain cases. So for now, you have the documents you need.

My landlord isn't registered either and he also lives in the house as does his wife, and i don't know if they'll accept an agreement from him but if they ask its all i can give them.

Did your cao stuff go there? your mobile phone bill? i know its frustrating that they dont seem to listen and they can be brutally rude. You may need to accept the fact that you'll have to have your parents means tested this year, which is totally unfair I know.

thanks for that smiler,its nice to know that there are some other people in similar situations,not just myself! i have pay as you go mobile,my cao stuff came to my rented address,i have p21 with rented address on it also,but p60 has old address. i am just gonna send whatever i have off and see what they say. like you said,theres nothing to lose. i am still working full time at the moment until i find out if i have even got the course or not. so it might be a load of worry over nothing. but least if i dont get it this year i can always apply next year again and be better prepared for it,regarding bills , statements, etc.

what course have you applyed for? i hope you get the grant anyways. best of luck with it! :)

amy85 wrote: »
    thanks for that smiler,its nice to know that there are some other people in similar situations,not just myself! i have pay as you go mobile,my cao stuff came to my rented address,i have p21 with rented address on it also,but p60 has old address. i am just gonna send whatever i have off and see what they say. like you said,theres nothing to lose. i am still working full time at the moment until i find out if i have even got the course or not. so it might be a load of worry over nothing. but least if i dont get it this year i can always apply next year again and be better prepared for it,regarding bills , statements, etc.

what course have you applyed for? i hope you get the grant anyways. best of luck with it! :)

Oh thank you xxx what have you applied for and where? are ye're offers out aug 5th? I really hope I get the grant, it'll help me out big time, because Its gonna be tough to get part time work. I'm leaving full time work so its a huge change.

I applied for psychiatric nursing in UL and we got our offers on Jul 7th, so that pressure is off now i know I have the place. I'm really excited but I'd just love a little bit of luck with this grant. (ive never gotten a thing from government before)

Oh thank you xxx what have you applied for and where? are ye're offers out aug 5th? I really hope I get the grant, it'll help me out big time, because Its gonna be tough to get part time work. I'm leaving full time work so its a huge change.

I applied for psychiatric nursing in UL and we got our offers on Jul 7th, so that pressure is off now i know I have the place. I'm really excited but I'd just love a little bit of luck with this grant. (ive never gotten a thing from government before)

i know,i am the same. have never asked for a penny of them. have been working full time for the last 5 years or so. never been college before so if i do get the course it will be a huge change,giving up my job and that. very scary to think of actually!! haha.. i have applied for vet nursing in AIT. something i have always been interested in. ya i think the offers are coming out 5th of august. i know a round of offers came out start of july , but didnt hear anything from them. do you know if you hear from cao regardless if you get the course or not. do they let you know either way?

No i don't think CAO let you know that you didn't get that particular offer but they do say "There are no offers at this stage" when you log in. Vet Nursing? bloody brilliant:D:D. What I would do is contact AIT and ask when they are issuing their offers. They may have only had one person handling the applications and they may not have been ready for the 7th of july offers. I know that happened somewhere else, DKIT i think but don't quote me on that.

The nursing application went through a seperate body as well as the CAO so they had to be ready by july 7th, we did an aptitude test and an interview. It was the most gruelling process of my life.

So first thing in the morning, phone admissions or the mature students department in AIT and ask them about the mature student offer process and when you should be expecting an offer. You have nothing to lose by ringing.

ya i will do because the anticipation is killing me so it is. have knot in my stomach the whole time thinking about it. god though, if i do get the course but dont get the grant, i really dont know what i will do. i know i have some savings but id say i wouldnt even get one year out of it. between fees and everything. the course is 3 years long so i really dont think i could finacially afford it if i dont get some sort of a grant or that. let me know anyways if you get the grant,it might give me a glimmer on hope then . haha.. best of luck. il let you know how i get on aswell

thanks again for your replies
    amy :)

• Advertisement

Got a letter this morning from Clare CoCo

I've been approved for the grant WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

or84ll.gif

When did you apply?

Got a letter this morning from Clare CoCo

thats brill. well done. you must be delighted. did it take long for it to come through?

I applied the last week in june

Thanks guys :D:D:D

No i don't think CAO let you know that you didn't get that particular offer but they do say "There are no offers at this stage" when you log in. Vet Nursing? bloody brilliant:D:D. What I would do is contact AIT and ask when they are issuing their offers. They may have only had one person handling the applications and they may not have been ready for the 7th of july offers. I know that happened somewhere else, DKIT i think but don't quote me on that.

The nursing application went through a seperate body as well as the CAO so they had to be ready by july 7th, we did an aptitude test and an interview. It was the most gruelling process of my life.

So first thing in the morning, phone admissions or the mature students department in AIT and ask them about the mature student offer process and when you should be expecting an offer. You have nothing to lose by ringing.

dont think i got the course! :( rang up AIT and after been sent from billy to jack i was eventually phoned back. girl left a voicemail saying that if i hadnt recieved an offer by now,it was highly unlikely that i have recieved a place on the course. said if i had any queries to ring back on such a number,so rang back and again,no answer, just a voicemail. didnt bother leaving a voicemail again. it was verging on stalkerish the amount of times i rang. haha... so dissapointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

Anyone know how long dublin city council are taking to get back to people re grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

browne111 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long dublin city council are taking to get back to people re grants?

Some students for the 2009/2010 academic year didnt end up getting there grants until around april/may!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge backlog especially with the record number of students that have been applying to the CAO.

dont think i got the course! frown.gif rang up AIT and after been sent from billy to jack i was eventually phoned back. girl left a voicemail saying that if i hadnt recieved an offer by now,it was highly unlikely that i have recieved a place on the course. said if i had any queries to ring back on such a number,so rang back and again,no answer, just a voicemail. didnt bother leaving a voicemail again. it was verging on stalkerish the amount of times i rang. haha... so dissapointed!

Awh no, :confused::confused: They seem to not be very clued up if you ask me. Its been happening everywhere lately, SW Citizens advice, VEC's etc. Everyone is getting conflicting information. I don't think it's acceptable.

I'm sure you've checked you cao online yeah? I know that might sound like a stupid question but a few people didn't know they needed to check online. So if you've done that and there is nothing there, I'd keep ringing them. Maybe ring the department for the course you applied instead of admissions? They have less people to deal with so they may be more clued up. If they give you the same response, ask can you get some feedback as to why you didn't get accepted. Its the least they can give you.

Awh no, :confused::confused: They seem to not be very clued up if you ask me. Its been happening everywhere lately, SW Citizens advice, VEC's etc. Everyone is getting conflicting information. I don't think it's acceptable.

I'm sure you've checked you cao online yeah? I know that might sound like a stupid question but a few people didn't know they needed to check online. So if you've done that and there is nothing there, I'd keep ringing them. Maybe ring the department for the course you applied instead of admissions? They have less people to deal with so they may be more clued up. If they give you the same response, ask can you get some feedback as to why you didn't get accepted. Its the least they can give you.

ya i have been keeping an eye on my cao application online aswell. just says there are no offers available to you. was keeping my hopes up though for the 5th of august cause there was more offers coming out then. ya i rang through to the department the course is connected to , but she said i needed to ralk to someone in admissions. very frustrating. especially when they dont answer then and its always a voicemail you get! i might try ring them tomorrow again. its hard though with work trying to find the time,because i cant really be taking too many calls on the shop floor and stuff.. ya id love to get some feedback,least id know where im going wrong and that. would know for again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

redout wrote: »
    Some students for the 2009/2010 academic year didnt end up getting there grants until around april/may!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge backlog especially with the record number of students that have been applying to the CAO.

Was that just when the payment came through or when they were told they would be getting it do you know? I was hoping to know if i am going to get the grant or not before i start the course or soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

browne111 wrote: »
    Was that just when the payment came through or when they were told they would be getting it do you know? I was hoping to know if i am going to get the grant or not before i start the course or soon after.

I'd really like to know this too!

I got my approval for the grant from Clare County Council last week, if this helps anyone at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was self employed in 2009 and have been waiting for my notice of self assesment for a month now. I rang them last week to say I need it asap as Im applying for the grant, and they said they didnt know when It will be ready!
    I'm freaking out as I thought my self assesment for 2008 would cover it. I didn't earn much so its not like the revenue have loads of accounts to go through.

Anyone else with this prob?
    Wish I was PAYE,It would be so much easier!

Advertisement