Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage-Bad credit history

Options
  • 19-07-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are considering buying a house in the next year or so.Unfortunately there is something that we hadn't thought about before and I am very worried now that it might jeopardize the whole thing.

My boyfriend has had 2 credit cards for years, he has never gone over the credit limit but unfortunately had loads of late payments.This was pure lazyness from him to be honest, he always "forgets" to do it..On the other side, we have been renting for years and never missed a payment.On my side I have a very good credit history, never had a loan or a credit card and even a tiny bit of savings.

My boyfriend also inherited land and I am wondering if that could be used as collateral and maybe help with the bad credit history issue.

Does anybody have any idea if we have a chance for mortgage approval? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Well its difficult to know. it depends on whether your jobs are permanent etc., do you have savings etc? you will need more than a little savings, at least a 8% deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lauradryeye

Hi Bills,

We both have permanent jobs, I am on 27K and he is on 32K, I have about 4K of savings.We are aware that we would need need a deposit and our parents are willing to lend us the money so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your advice on this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

By late payments do you mean he missed the minimum amount payable some months.
    I've done that but it's never had a negative affect on my credit rating.

My wife however had missed car payments so she was precluded from the mortgage application.
    Best thing that ever happened to us cause we then couldn't afford a €370k house in Naas in 2005.
    Unanswered prayers & all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lauradryeye

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    By late payments do you mean he missed the minimum amount payable some months.
    I've done that but it's never had a negative affect on my credit rating.

My wife however had missed car payments so she was precluded from the mortgage application.
    Best thing that ever happened to us cause we then couldn't afford a €370k house in Naas in 2005.
    Unanswered prayers & all that.

Yes that is what I meant, thanks for that I feel much better!! We will try to arrange an appointment soon with an adviser but I just wanted to get an idea.
    You are right about the house, it's probably worth 250K now! We are thinking of buying in 2011 or 2012, it should be a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Go to the ICB website and get a copy of each of your credit histories. This will tell you where you stand anyway, and you'll see if there are any black marks against either of you. It only costs €6, and well worth knowing if you're going to apply for large loans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement