Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does your other half try stop you from training ?

• 19-07-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

I think this one might be funny ..

Here goes .. i think lately my girl friend is using our 3 month year old as an anti cycling voodooo baby .. as soon she hears the "pisssttt" when i finish pumping my tyres she pokes him to make him cry the house down and thats another weekend missed .. i hope i dont sound like a bad dad already :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pump your tyres up the night before. Put your shoes on outside. Learn to move around the house like a ninja and close the front door without a click.

Once you're out of the house it's her problem.

On the other hand someone once remarked that women often give up sport when the babies come but somehow men manage to continue; divorce is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

By encouraging me at every juncture to get out.... you just know when they are all for something, there's a sneaky backlash just around the corner, so I call her bluff and stay in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

levitronix wrote: »

Here goes .. i think lately my girl friend is using our 3 month year old as an anti cycling voodooo baby .. as soon she hears the "pisssttt" when i finish pumping my tyres she pokes him to make him cry the house down and thats another weekend missed .. i hope i dont sound like a bad dad already :(

I find up very very early and heavy use of the turbo the best bet, makes you availible if required and means you get absolutely the top use of your time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Captain Havoc would never let this happen to him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

when Im going down the road all ready, shes walking up towards me and flings a stick in my spokes..very effective, stops me right there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Pick him up if he's crying. Burp him. Change his nappy. All good babe? Hand him over. Jump into your gear like Batman. Belt out the door like a tornado. Don't look back whatever you do. And just burn the tyres off your bike. Until the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

tunney wrote: »
    I find up very very early and heavy use of the turbo the best bet, makes you availible if required and means you get absolutely the top use of your time.

that one got done !!
    Out the door for 7am and back 2pm didnt go down well for the month of may getting ready for the IM , and cleaning pools of sweat off the kitchen floor doesnt go to well either haha think i need a new sport ... or else train like a ninja like Lumen said i likes the sound of that better .. will need a new bike for that !! something stealthy !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should email her the link to this thread with the title "SEE!", bound to make her see sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

No better i ll introduce her to caroline and get her to do a 200 .. she ll love it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

My OH doesn't prevent me training. She just undoes it all through feeding me lots.

It's not so bad really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

My wife s very understanding. That's not to say she's happy about all the time I spend away on the bike. But she is understanding and in that regard I am lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

niceonetom wrote: »
    My OH doesn't prevent me training. She just undoes it all through feeding me lots.

It's not so bad really.

My wife bought me my first decent bike and then started complaining when I was using it!

I retaliated by buying her a nice Pashley:)

She now tries to undo the training by not so much feeding me lots as encouraging me to eat the wrong things - such as shouting when I come in from a long hot spin - "there's a few beers in the fridge - behind the lemon cheesecake (my favourite). And I got a few steaks for a barbeque this evening":):)

Cue me standing in front of the fridge milling said cheesecake and washing it down with cold Peroni!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

she pokes him to make him cry the house down i hope... i dont sound like a bad dad already :(

No, don't worry. You're not the bad parent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

At the end of the day it's all about maths

if x = positive integer than x = Y
    if x = negative integer than x= Z

where
    X = brownie points
    Y = Time on bike
    Z = Change more nappies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PGN

Thirty years of marriage has taught me it is often easier to get forgiveness than permission !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

This paints a horrifying picture of married life. I wouldn't let some bint get in the way of my training, I'd just divorce her if she tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

... I wouldn't let some bint get in the way of my training...

120898.jpg

This paints a horrifying picture of married life. I wouldn't let some bint get in the way of my training, I'd just divorce her if she tried.

I don't think this will be a problem for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

i go out 3 days a week. have to do the stealth mode..... aka sneaking around. i have to leave at latest 7.45 am. have to be gone before 2 yr old wakes up. herself has been fore warned of my schedule.....its the only way it works,for me anyway. i am buying a kellys 5.9 in the next 2 weeks, so theres no way it is being unused

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Hungrycol wrote: »
    120898.jpg

Well clearly you aren't married yourself so you should agree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen wrote: »
    Learn to move around the house like a ninja and close the front door without a click.

Once you're out of the house it's her problem.
    Wouldn't work for me. She'd be out of the house chasing me down in the car. She has a "thing" about saying goodbye; I can't leave the house without doing it. Leaving without saying "goodbye" is a bigger crime than leaving the bathroom sink covered in 2cm of stubble after shaving.

She only tries to stop me because she's paranoid that cycling on the road is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kenmac

Reminds me of what an old hurling coach of mine said when i told him I was getting married.....'marriage', he said, 'is a miserable kind of happiness'...15 years on I can see his point!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

or marry someone that cycles, makes life a lot easier. If I don't go out for a ride at the weekends, I get chants of lazy, lazy , lazy...

nak wrote: »
    or marry someone that cycles, makes life a lot easier. If I don't go out for a ride at the weekends, I get chants of lazy, lazy , lazy...

Who gets to stay at home minding the babies when the sun comes out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Baby seats on the bikes? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

That's what granny is for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OK, so apart from thinking it's dangerous and babies, why on earth would your partner want to stop you from cycling?? :confused: Are they afraid to spend a few hours without you every weekend?

Malari wrote: »
    OK, so apart from thinking it's dangerous and babies, why on earth would your partner want to stop you from cycling??

The tap in the kitchen sink has been held together with white duct tape for over a year, and the same tape stops the broken dishwasher door from falling on the floor.

In one bathroom the ceiling light fixture is hanging free and the toilet seat is broken (duct tape didn't work, may have to try zip ties).

In the other bathroom, wires are hanging out of the wall where I was supposed to fit a mirror/light in 2005.

Also, the grass in my garden is three feet tall as I haven't got around to getting the lawnmower fixed.

edit: however, all four of my bikes are clean and in perfect working order.

OK, so apart from thinking it's dangerous and babies, why on earth would your partner want to stop you from cycling?? :confused: Are they afraid to spend a few hours without you every weekend?

A three hour cycle on a Saturday. No problems for most I'd imagine.

A proper training regime (20-30 hours a week) thats where the problem lies!

• Advertisement

The tap in the kitchen sink has been held together with white duct tape for over a year, and the same tape stops the broken dishwasher door from falling on the floor.

In one bathroom the ceiling light fixture is hanging free and the toilet seat is broken (duct tape didn't work, may have to try zip ties).

In the other bathroom, wires are hanging out of the wall where I was supposed to fit a mirror/light in 2005.

Also, the grass in my garden is three feet tall as I haven't got around to getting the lawnmower fixed.

edit: however, all four of my bikes are clean and in perfect working order.

I see. Life's short. Enjoy the cycling. :D
    A three hour cycle on a Saturday. No problems for most I'd imagine.

A proper training regime (20-30 hours a week) thats where the problem lies!

Oh right. Well, when I'm at work, I don't mind if he's off on the bike. I can handle 8 hours cycling at the weekend. Guess some people are different about things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Is this what married life is really like? Jaysus lads youre scaring me........

I see. Life's short. Enjoy the cycling. :D

Oh right. Well, when I'm at work, I don't mind if he's off on the bike. I can handle 8 hours cycling at the weekend. Guess some people are different about things like that.

What about when you aren't at work - assuming both work 9-5? Or if you didn't work?

Eight hours cycling over the weekend when there are kids involved? You'd want to have fairly well defined goals and buy in from the OH for that.
    (I think most are working off the assumption that kids are involved).

tunguska wrote: »
    Is this what married life is really like? Jaysus lads youre scaring me........

MY OH is fantastically supportive but its give and take. Even more so when kids arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think my wife does more training than I do.

What about when you aren't at work - assuming both work 9-5? Or if you didn't work?

I don't mind, he often goes to races in the evening, or spends the whole day off up the country at a race, with the car! It doesn't bother me. He loves cycling, why would I try to change that? I knew that about him when I met him.
    Eight hours cycling over the weekend when there are kids involved? You'd want to have fairly well defined goals and buy in from the OH for that.
    (I think most are working off the assumption that kids are involved).

That's why I said "apart from babies". Obviously if you have kids and one person disappears for a considerable amount of time it's unfair unless the partner can do the same when you come back from training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

That's why we don't have any babies! Wouldn't fancy taking all that time off the bike to have a kid, don't think club kit comes in a maternity version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

nak wrote: »
    That's why we don't have any babies! Wouldn't fancy taking all that time off the bike to have a kid, don't think club kit comes in a maternity version.

They would fit in the cargo bike tho nak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Jawgap wrote: »
    My wife bought me my first decent bike and then started complaining when I was using it!

I retaliated by buying her a nice Pashley:)

She now tries to undo the training by not so much feeding me lots as encouraging me to eat the wrong things - such as shouting when I come in from a long hot spin - "there's a few beers in the fridge - behind the lemon cheesecake (my favourite). And I got a few steaks for a barbeque this evening":):)

Cue me standing in front of the fridge milling said cheesecake and washing it down with cold Peroni!

Peroni.

Very euro. Well done Sir!

The problem with treating children as luggage is that they get get cold and bored if they're not contributing.

I spent my walk into work this morning mentally designing a triple-tandem with individual power meter cranks and Garmins.

The main sticking point is that I want to be able to steer from the back. Needs more consideration over the winter I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rflynnr

After two years of using one, I've come to the conclusion that the cargobike has made me a worse road cyclist. Don't get me wrong: I'm going to continue using it until the kids' heads are literally forcing their way through the cover but the stance one is forced to adopt when cycling is so far from road biking that it's almost a different sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »
    I think my wife does more training than I do.

Jaysus RAAM. My wife probably does more training than you and she don't even own a bike :-)

I spent my walk into work this morning mentally designing a triple-tandem with individual power meter cranks and Garmins.

The main sticking point is that I want to be able to steer from the back. Needs more consideration over the winter I think.

It's already been done ... Saw them in Berlin a couple of Months ago.

29132_448628803695_582763695_5782147_2933310_n.jpg

I just noticed there's a roadie at the back if this photo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It does get better though

[anecdote] A couple of weeks ago, the 9 year old asks me if I'm going for a cycle the next day (Saturday). I said I probably would and he asked what time was I going out and coming back at? I told him probably out at 7 and back about 9 and he asked me would I not stay out longer - like until 10 or later. Not a problem, I said and made the mistake of asking why?

I forgot two of his friends were coming to spend the night and he said he didn't want them seeing me in cycling gear when they got up on Saturday morning!! So naturally being the sensitive father I am, I made a point of being back for when they were having brekkie and I sat there munching my Bran Flakes in all my lycra glory!

The child in question is also the one who said he wanted an mtb in preference to a road bike because road bikes are "gay" - he's not homophobic, but in the current lingo something is either "ledge" or "gay" - road bikes are definitely in the latter category and mtbs in the former!
    [/anecdote]

Jawgap wrote: »
    It does get better though

[anecdote] A couple of weeks ago, the 9 year old asks me if I'm going for a cycle the next day (Saturday). I said I probably would and he asked what time was I going out and coming back at? I told him probably out at 7 and back about 9 and he asked me would I not stay out longer - like until 10 or later. Not a problem, I said and made the mistake of asking why?

I forgot two of his friends were coming to spend the night and he said he didn't want them seeing me in cycling gear when they got up on Saturday morning!! So naturally being the sensitive father I am, I made a point of being back for when they were having brekkie and I sat there munching my Bran Flakes in all my lycra glory!

The child in question is also the one who said he wanted an mtb in preference to a road bike because road bikes are "gay" - he's not homophobic, but in the current lingo something is either "ledge" or "gay" - road bikes are definitely in the latter category and mtbs in the former!
    [/anecdote]

A friend (who does triathlon) said down with his 4 year old to watch some of the tour. They finished the stage and the four year old just couldn't understand why they didn't start running when they got off their bikes.

Same friend, same kid, playing mammies and daddies with a cousin. The cousin started to pretend to cook and clean like her mammy. The lad jumped on his bike rode around the garden then hopped off and ran around the garden :)

Same friend, same kid at a major race a year or two ago. Everyone had the same gatorade bottles given out for free before the race. The kid went nuts because everyone had stolen "dada's juice".

Off topic I know............

A friend (who does triathlon) said down with his 4 year old to watch some of the tour. They finished the stage and the four year old just couldn't understand why they didn't start running when they got off their bikes.

That's no way to raise a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Install them in a baby seat and then chuck it into the front of one of these:

light.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It has to be possible to slot a child's bike into a turbo-trainer, put it all into the front of a cargo bike and the jury-rig the turbo trainer to provide power to the front wheels. Make the little buggers work for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

If you're a good enogh cyclist this becomes less of an issue (time machine + big house in Terveren might also help)

My OH is actually a great motivator and tells me when I am doing something wrong or right. Now whether I follow the advice or not is another story :P I am very admiring of his prowess but too much of a wimp to try and do the same... the pain cave is not where I like to be.
    As for responsabilities, the cat never moans about us doing too much training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Why are all your children not already on a strict training regime... you're never going to raise the next LA or contador if you leave it too late to get them started...

• Advertisement
Advertisement