Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about walking puppy on road

Options
  • 19-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, our 4 month old retriever has just being exercising in our fields below in the home farm and he loves, but my significant other would like to take him walking on the roads, she doesn't fancy walking through ****e.

Now is it ok for him to be walking on such hard ground when he is so young, I was reading a lot about possible problems with joints and bone development, so is it ok and how long if it is.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It should be ok for him to walk for about 20 minutes on the road I'd say, and more as he gets older.

Or get your significant other some wellies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes walking for every month of the dog's life until they are fully grown, so for a 4 month old pup that would be 20 minutes a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So 20 minutes on the road should be ok for him, I think I just read somewhere that walking on roads was not good for them until they were over a year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

20 minutes should be ok. It's not good for them to go on long walks on the road until they're older, but a short one should be ok.

See how he is after the walk and if his joints seem stiff or sore then maybe cut down the time. One of my dogs gets very stiff legs after walking on the road for anything over 30 minutes, but she's 9.

Advertisement