Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to biking.

• 19-07-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently bought a decent racer bike (a Carrera one), and just today got the book Leisure Cycling in and around Dublin.

Now I have a bit of a problem though. I live in Tyrrellstown, near Blanchardstown, and I don't have a car - how would I get to the start points of these trips without spending too much energy on biking there and too much money on getting a taxi to take me there.

From what I understand, busses, DARTs and Luas don't accept bikes, so do I have any option besides trying to cycle all the way to the route?

Bear in mind that I'd want to start with relatively short routes, like 20-30km tops, and the drive to the route start alone will in many cases, for me, be 20-30km alone, meaning just getting to start and back home would be 60km..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Find some cycle routes that start at your house. That's the only answer really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Move house to near the start point of the route.
    Repeat as you get through the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

From your house turn left and cycle for 5klm. After 5klm turn Left. (this is ireland, very hard to cycle 5klm without coming to a junction). After 5 klm again, turn left. then again after 5klm, turn left and this should bring you home. congratulations, you've just done your first 20klm. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where do you live? EDIT: Ah I see - Phoenix Park might be an option. Nice closed loops to gain confidence with the bike. Just watch out for pedestrians and triathletes.

Like the guys have said, we are blessed in this country in that you do not need to travel far for cycling (unless you are going off road).

Try bikemap.net, it will show you routes created by people in your area, they are rated according to difficulty and surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Ow.

I thought I had missed some clever scheme somewhere.

Lapierre - good point, however, the area near Tyrrellstown is horribly boring to cycle in, no sights or anything, really.

Basically, what I'd want to do is take the routes in this lovely little book to prepare myself for a week of cycling around Ring of Kerry next summer. The combination of sightseeing and cycling is what's getting me interested, not the cycling by itself.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where do you live?

Like the guys have said, we are blessed in this country in that you do not need to travel far for cycling (unless you are going off road).

Try bikemap.net, it will show you routes created by people in your area, they are rated according to difficulty and surface.

I live near Blanchardstown in the outskirts of Dublin, D15. (it's about 4-5km to Blanch shopping centre)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ow.

I thought I had missed some clever scheme somewhere.

Lapierre - good point, however, the area near Tyrrellstown is horribly boring to cycle in, no sights or anything, really.

Basically, what I'd want to do is take the routes in this lovely little book to prepare myself for a week of cycling around Ring of Kerry next summer. The combination of sightseeing and cycling is what's getting me interested, not the cycling by itself.

Boring or not, thats where you live. the point is the only alternative is to put your bike in the back of your car, drive somewhere thats not boring, cycle 20klm and then back in the car. You never know though...when you get out there and start cyclingm, you might find a few routes in your locality that you never knew existed, because you always drove past them. Only one way to find out. best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I live near Blanchardstown in the outskirts of Dublin, D15. (it's about 4-5km to Blanch shopping centre)

I live near there. The first year was tough, as it's 25km ish to the base of the Dublin mountains. To start with I used to drive to Dundrum and go from there. Now I'm a bit fitter it's a nice warm up.

The problem with transporting yourself places is that it adds unproductive time to the ride. Better to find local loops that you can enjoy whilst you build your fitness up.

Don't bother with the book yet. Driving to go cycling is not fun, just pop out to the park and build your base up there. You will be amazed how quickly you can increase the distance.

If you have a friend who is more experienced it really helps push you further.

I was just looking at bikemap (thanks for that link btw), and I think my best option for starters is going to Phoenix Park and riding around there.

I did notice a couple of the book's routes are relatively close to Tyrrellstown, but they're all over 60km in total which is probably way too much for a person just starting out.

As I said, the ultimate dream is spending a week cycling the Ring of Kerry, so considering that I currently bike 5km a day (to and from work), I thought I'd best get started with some decent routes.

What I've noticed about Ireland tho, is that very few cars pay attention to cyclists compared to where I come from (Denmark), where cyclists are a lot more common everywhere, so I'm somewhat nervous about the larger roads and big urban areas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You will get used to the Irish drivers very quickly.

I was just looking at bikemap (thanks for that link btw), and I think my best option for starters is going to Phoenix Park and riding around there.

I did notice a couple of the book's routes are relatively close to Tyrrellstown, but they're all over 60km in total which is probably way too much for a person just starting out.

As I said, the ultimate dream is spending a week cycling the Ring of Kerry, so considering that I currently bike 5km a day (to and from work), I thought I'd best get started with some decent routes.

What I've noticed about Ireland tho, is that very few cars pay attention to cyclists compared to where I come from (Denmark), where cyclists are a lot more common everywhere, so I'm somewhat nervous about the larger roads and big urban areas..

Ah yeah, start now and keep going, the ROK will be a breeze come next year. There are plenty of smaller sportives beforehand to test yourself with starting around april.

Don't worry about cars, confidence comes with time. Just remember to follow the ROTR, be predictable and make any maneuvers in good time. Don't swerve or do anything sudden.

Most importantly though, is to remember you are a road user and you have rights. Don't be afraid to take up more space on the road. A lot of new cyclists seem to hug the kerb and worry too much about cars around them. Pick an imaginary line on the road and follow it, if you wobble and brake for every car that passes you, you may have an accident or little room for something unexpected.

Just enjoy it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just cut them a bit shorter then. You are actually quite fortunate for cycling being basically right on the edge of the city. Many would have to cycle 10km each way just to get out of the suburbs.

This loop is 30km, there are lots of other small roads around for shorter or longer: http://bit.ly/9MC35f

Bear in mind that the N3 past Dunboyne is now bypassed by the new motorway so it is quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

What I've noticed about Ireland tho, is that very few cars pay attention to cyclists compared to where I come from (Denmark),
    You know how Danish drivers check their passenger side mirror and give you priority at a junction? That rarely happens here.

You know how Danish drivers check their passenger side mirror and give you priority at a junction? That rarely happens here.

Indeed, I've noticed. Irish drivers are a lot better at paying attention to other cars than Danish drivers though. I think it's a matter of not being used to that many cyclists on the Irish roads compared to Denmark where half the population has a bike.

On a sidenote, I noticed the weather was pleasant, so I took my very first leasure drive just now - 10-12km in about 40 minutes, which has quite spent the energy I have (yeah, I'm in quite bad shape). But I've started, and if the weather's okay tomorrow, I'll take another ten. It feels good to actually be cycling.

I do have a few technical questions though:
    Firstly, this is the bike I've bought. I know it's not awesome, but it felt like a good beginner's bike and definitely not a BSO:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759107_categoryId_165710_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1

1) I found that I simply can't get used to the pedals I have, so I need a different set, non-racing pedals. I basically want a pretty standard set of pedals that are pleasant to use for around 30-40-50km at a time. While I do have a budget, I would be willing to spend around 30-40, maybe even 50 euro to get something good.

2) Seeing that I only recently bought the bike, I am thinking I should be taking it to get the gears adjusted and such soon - I've had it for two weeks and cycled around 80km so far. I heard from a mate of mine that I should do that after around a month, is that correct?

3) Will it be worth it for me to invest in actual cycling clothes (like shorts, jersey etc) I don't plan to cycle races and such, at least not as it is right now, but on the other hand I've no idea how much more pleasant it'll be with proper cycling clothes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I recently bought a decent racer bike (a Carrera one), and just today got the book Leisure Cycling in and around Dublin.

Now I have a bit of a problem though. I live in Tyrrellstown, near Blanchardstown

[Waves] Hello neighbour ! I spotted you this evening around by the little park taking your bike out for a test spin, yellow one isn't it ? I actually noticed the bike was a nice new shiny one !

We're handy enough to the Phoenix Park, it's a boring enough cycle there but more or less downhill all the way and you'll be there in about 20 mins at a good pace. However to get to any of the decent mountains I throw the bike in the car and take a spin out towards the Dublin or Wicklow mountains. However I tend to do my cycling in combination with running so I haven't been looking out for too many long decent rides from the area because the runs either side of the cycle more than make up for not cycling too far.

(yeah, I'm in quite bad shape).

Take your fag out of your mouth when you're on the bike :D

ThisRegard wrote: »
    [Waves] Hello neighbour ! I spotted you this evening around by the little park taking your bike out for a test spin, yellow one isn't it ? I actually noticed the bike was a nice new shiny one !

We're handy enough to the Phoenix Park, it's a boring enough cycle there but more or less downhill all the way and you'll be there in about 20 mins at a good pace. However to get to any of the decent mountains I throw the bike in the car and take a spin out towards the Dublin or Wicklow mountains. However I tend to do my cycling in combination with running so I haven't been looking out for too many long decent rides from the area because the runs either side of the cycle more than make up for not cycling too far.

Yup, yellow thingie indeed - how strange to be on a forum and having been seen in Tyrrellstown on my new bike! :D

Greetings to you in any case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

60km won't seem far after a few months of cycling. Until then just do phoneix park, I cycle there a lot and its really beautiful.

I do have a few technical questions though:
    Firstly, this is the bike I've bought. I know it's not awesome, but it felt like a good beginner's bike and definitely not a BSO:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759107_categoryId_165710_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1

1) I found that I simply can't get used to the pedals I have, so I need a different set, non-racing pedals. I basically want a pretty standard set of pedals that are pleasant to use for around 30-40-50km at a time. While I do have a budget, I would be willing to spend around 30-40, maybe even 50 euro to get something good.

2) Seeing that I only recently bought the bike, I am thinking I should be taking it to get the gears adjusted and such soon - I've had it for two weeks and cycled around 80km so far. I heard from a mate of mine that I should do that after around a month, is that correct?

3) Will it be worth it for me to invest in actual cycling clothes (like shorts, jersey etc) I don't plan to cycle races and such, at least not as it is right now, but on the other hand I've no idea how much more pleasant it'll be with proper cycling clothes..
    That bike looks grand for a beginner. Certainly you would not get better for the price.

1) They look like pretty standard pedals, what is wrong with them? Would you consider "clipless" pedals that require special shoes that click into them? They do work a lot better- if going down this road look at SPD (MTB) pedals, not road, so you can walk in the shoes.

2) Yes, around a month, although it can very depending on your mileage. If you are not doing that much possibly leave it a bit longer until you notice something needing adjustment. Most shops will do a free first service. The main issue is that on a new bike the cables can stretch so the indexing on the gears has to be re-adjusted. This is very easy and quick to adjust. Other things can happen like spokes can loosen.

3) Yes, proper cycling clothes will be a lot more comfortable even if you are not racing. Shorts and a top made of a wicking synthetic material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yup, yellow thingie indeed - how strange to be on a forum and having been seen in Tyrrellstown on my new bike! :D

I got used to this sort of thing after a few months in Ireland. I honestly don't know how anyone manages an illicit affair in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It may be just a matter of removing the pedal cages for now. Or you could take the straps off the cages but leave the cages on the pedals. When I started out, I found the cages awkward and just took them off the pedals. I have since moved on to the SPD clipless pedals but that can wait a while...

blorg wrote: »
    That bike looks grand for a beginner. Certainly you would not get better for the price.

1) They look like pretty standard pedals, what is wrong with them? Would you consider "clipless" pedals that require special shoes that click into them? They do work a lot better- if going down this road look at SPD (MTB) pedals, not road, so you can walk in the shoes.

2) Yes, around a month, although it can very depending on your mileage. If you are not doing that much possibly leave it a bit longer until you notice something needing adjustment. Most shops will do a free first service. The main issue is that on a new bike the cables can stretch so the indexing on the gears has to be re-adjusted. This is very easy and quick to adjust. Other things can happen like spokes can loosen.

3) Yes, proper cycling clothes will be a lot more comfortable even if you are not racing. Shorts and a top made of a wicking synthetic material.

Hiya, thanks for your answers :)

1) Uhm, I can't get used to the cages and straps - all my bikes so far have been city-bikes with regular old-school flat, square pedals, you know the type. It does feel wrong to put those on such a bike though, but I've been trying and simply can't get used to the cages.

Normally I would just say remove the toe clips but I think from the look of that pedal it is not designed to be used without them. You can get flat pedals cheap enough, no need to go nuts on the price.

Sorry for reviving a page 5 thread, but I thought it better to stay in the same thread than to create a new one.

With the rain and generally poor weather coming, how do you keep up the motivation to keep riding? (Or do ya'll simply go indoors instead :P).

I've been using bikemap to figure out routes that go about 20-30km in a circle from my place - is there a good clever way to bring those maps with you however as I've so far taken a wrong turn twice on two trips, ending somewhere completely different :P

You could print them, or print off turn-by-turn directions. Alternatively the high-tech way to do it is get a bike GPS like a Garmin 705 but that is a bit pricier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

didn't want to start another thread for this and thought, as a fairly new to biking person, this wasn't such a bad place to ask this.

been mostly lurking on here - the odd post. have read about guys bonking during cycling - running out of steam\food ??????

as a leisure cyclist (commute during the week and try to get out most weekends), i'm finding that after i hit about 90kms (mostly flat) i just lose the will to go on - not tired, lungs are good, legs are good, just totally lose interest and the will to go on. this isn't bonking is it ??? i bring a few bananas and power bars with me and munch them regularly enough. i was thinking of bringing ear-phones but i'm worried i'll end up under a truck. i know i should probably just join a cycle club - but before i do - are there any obvious alternative things i could do to address this? is this a common thing ?

With the rain and generally poor weather coming, how do you keep up the motivation to keep riding? (Or do ya'll simply go indoors instead :P).
    Waterproof socks, waterproof shoes, a good waterproof breathable jacket and a good warm base layer. I do most of my cycling too and from work. My car is out of action and there is no bus, so I have to do it. It takes a while to build up a wardrobe of gear to cater for all situations and to be able to decide what combinations work for you.
    I've been using bikemap to figure out routes that go about 20-30km in a circle from my place - is there a good clever way to bring those maps with you however as I've so far taken a wrong turn twice on two trips, ending somewhere completely different :P

I am probably in the minority on this but I find a proper OSI (Ordinace Survey Ireland) map is the best. I have gotten lost with google maps print-outs before. You can get laminated maps for about €17-20 in most camping shops. They're waterproof, don't run out of batteries and show elevation. You can get a cheap compass for about 6-8 euros which is the size of a keyring.

i'm finding that after i hit about 90kms (mostly flat) i just lose the will to go on - not tired, lungs are good, legs are good, just totally lose interest and the will to go on. this isn't bonking is it ???
    No, that isn't bonking. Bonking is running out of energy supplies (e.g. food.) When you bonk your legs turn to jelly, you will probably feel light-headed, etc. It is pretty horrible. It is very much a physical effect while what you describe seems purely psychological. You might be motivated to go further if you went out with other people, helps the km pass by.

I am probably in the minority on this but I find a proper OSI (Ordinace Survey Ireland) map is the best. I have gotten lost with google maps print-outs before. You can get laminated maps for about €17-20 in most camping shops.
    Haha, paper maps, maps made out of paper you say, the thought never even enterd my head. @OP- I have the OSI map covering Dublin in the laminated version which I'll sell for a tenner if you are interested. Also have flat pedals too for that matter if you want them, plastic ones for a fiver or metal ones for a tenner.

• Advertisement

Haha, paper maps, maps made out of paper you say, the thought never even enterd my head.
    yeah well, we'll see whose laughing when armageddon comes and all your gadgets stop working and you don't know your ar5e from your elbow. I'll know where I'm going. Home. On my new 36 spoke nuke proof wheels.

you'll be there with a garmin melted to your hand. standing over a pile of carbon fibre dust that was your bike.

Haha, paper maps, maps made out of paper you say, the thought never even enterd my head. @OP- I have the OSI map covering Dublin in the laminated version which I'll sell for a tenner if you are interested. Also have flat pedals too for that matter if you want them, plastic ones for a fiver or metal ones for a tenner.

Wouldn't mind the map for sure. How far out does it cover tho? For a road trip earlier this year I bought Collins map of greater Dublin, which exactly doesn't cover Tyrrelstown where I live, so it seems I'm biking just outside the Dublin area.

I think I'll spend an afternoon at the shop looking at pedals before I decide tho - despite being raised by the internet, I'm very much a try/look before buy person :)
    I need to go there to get the gears adjusted and a few other little details sorted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

i'm finding that after i hit about 90kms (mostly flat) i just lose the will to go on - not tired, lungs are good, legs are good, just totally lose interest and the will to go on. ... is this a common thing ?

You'll know it if you bonk! Sounds like sheer boredom - Buy a mountain bike and take it to some trails! Or cycle through some dodgy areas to get the adrenaline going as you dodge feral children and their missiles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

i was thinking of bringing ear-phones but i'm worried i'll end up under a truck.

I use ear phones which do cut the incoming noise but I've found that without them, the noise of the wind whistling past my ears (at my sort of speeds :D ) drowns out much of the warning noises I'd expect to hear anyway.

I do a lot of checking over the shoulder before manouvering and use enough space on the road that I don't feel vulnerable...

Advertisement