Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Tax - ''Final Reminder''

Options
  • 19-07-2010 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just looking for opinions (not advice). I was sent a "Motor Tax Final Reminder" by post today, as a vehicle I own hasnt been taxed for 2 months (unused motorcycle).

It gives you 3 options:
    1. Pay tax
    2. Indicate you have sold the vehicle and sent docs for processing
    3. Declare that the vehicel is still in your possession but not in use because....

Furthermore, there is a "warning" on the bottom of the letter saying that you are liable for "further action" to be taken.

Why do they ask me to say that I am not using the vehicle and furthermore why does it matter to them why its not being used?

Can anything be done if I dont return the form? Can a garda knock on my door and fine me for not telling them I dont use my vehicle? Is there an offence for not taxing, not using, and not telling the authorities so?

Seems ridiculous to me...they may as well send me a letter telling me their records show im not a murderer and asking why I havent murdered some one...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I received a similar letter for a bike that had been stolen on me.

I called the tax office and told them the bike had been stolen and the Gardaí had been notified so I don't need to tax it, do I? I suggested that they should get their systems integrated and they would get the info they need, because they weren't getting anything from me on the basis of this 'final' notification.

I never sent anything and there have been no problems. Taxing your bike later will just mean you need to get a Garda to stamp your declaration of non use so you don;t have to pay back tax.

I think the letter is just scare tactics with no substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think the letter is just scare tactics with no substance.
    Exactly. The notice has no statutory basis in law.
    It gives you 3 options:
    1. Pay tax
    2. Indicate you have sold the vehicle and sent docs for processing
    3. Declare that the vehicle is still in your possession but not in use because....
    There is no statutory reason for number 3. In fact you are under no legal obligation to respond at all. There is no offence in keeping a vehicle on private property without tax. The offence is using it in a public place without tax.

In the UK there are offences for failure to notify DVLA of a vehicle being off road but Ireland has no such legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't be surprised if they intend to implement a DVLA-esque policy in future though. Perhaps they're trying to get people used to threatening letters? :)

No, there's nothing they can do at present. Not taxing a vehicle is not an offence. It's only an offence if you use it on a public road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks guys for the replies.

I think its very silly. No problem with them sending a reminder, as some people may forget. But to have a "warning" message is just wrong.

I have a strong urge to tick number 3.....and write "because the flux capacitor is broke"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

If the vehicle is parked up on private property and is not being used in a public place you've nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement