Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid management/service charges

Options
  • 19-07-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we have an owner here in our apartment block who owns several apartments here and hasn't paid his management fees for over 5 years.

What is the best way to tackle this legally as we cannot get anything out of him.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Remove his units from the block insurance (if your insurance company will do that).

Take him to court for the fees, plus interest, plus admin charges.

If you use clamping services, don't issue his units with parking permits, and any vehicles that park there, clamp them.

There are many many ways, and those are just some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hi,

we have an owner here in our apartment block who owns several apartments here and hasn't paid his management fees for over 5 years.

What is the best way to tackle this legally as we cannot get anything out of him.

Cheers

Why have you let it go for 5 years???

Would be getting a solicitor letter fired off to him immediately and like the poster above says let it be very clear you'll be pursuing him for all costs associated with chasing him up (legal fees, admin fees, interest onm non-payment, etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

We've done all of that. No avail.

In that case, take him to court. No messing, just file with the court for non-payment of fees and outstanding debt.

Get a decent solicitor on the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Paulw wrote: »
    In that case, take him to court. No messing, just file with the court for non-payment of fees and outstanding debt.

Get a decent solicitor on the case.

Takes a while but if you take each step at a time you will have something to show for it in a couple of months. We have done it. Legal fees goes on his account so everything is recoverable. Interest too (at 15%!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm sure this has been mentioned by someone else, but they won't be able to sell (and if they get reposessed, the bank won't be able to sell them on) until the management company issues are resolved (i think you can have a judgement registered against the property?)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jaykayphd

We have a similar situation in our development. An apartment is being rented out and the landlord has not paid his fees to the management company in 3-4 years. I have only found this out in the last couple of months after joining the board of directors.

Now I'm told that the landlord cannot be traced to issue him with legal proceedings! So is that it? Do we just accept the non-payment of fees until he decides, if ever, to try and sell the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Pauls suggestions are all very good. Id also go legal and have a judgement mortgage placed on each apartment making it impossible for the owner to sell until the judgement mortgage is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

jaykayphd wrote: »
    Now I'm told that the landlord cannot be traced to issue him with legal proceedings! So is that it? Do we just accept the non-payment of fees until he decides, if ever, to try and sell the apartment?

I think there is some way you can ask the court to serve a summons to his apartment if reasonable efforts to find his home have failed. I'm not 100% sure about it though, your debt collection solicitor might know more.

jaykayphd wrote: »

Well, the landlord should be registered with the PRTB and also the Revenue should have his details. :D

Surely the tenants have a way to contact the landlord?

• Advertisement

Well, the landlord should be registered with the PRTB and also the Revenue should have his details. :D

Yup I know he is registered with the PRTB alright.

But the tenants could be dealing with an agent and only have his bank details.

I've been told that to issue this guy with legal proceedings we must make sure he receives the correspondence. I don't know, but I doubt the PRTB nor the revenue will help with this matter.

Well I was wrong in my assumption.

I contacted the PRTB and explained the situation. The lady I spoke to said that a 3rd party could raise a dispute against the landlord and the PRTB may decide to release the contact details of the landlord to them.

This is what it says in their documentation

If the affected party is unable to identify or contact the landlord,
    they can make a formal request for the landlord’s and/or letting agent’s (where
    applicable) name and address (if registered) from the PRTB under Section 77(3) of
    the Act.

Advertisement