Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Legal Letter . .

Options
  • 19-07-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has owed Bord Gais about €300 for the guts of 4 months now (left them for flogas) . . their partner lost their job in that time and they are struggling badly with debts as it is.

They showed me the letter and its pretty heavy handed. . Speaks of court judgements against their property and that legal expenses will be incurred etc. Now I told my friend they should of called up Bord Gais sooner to explain their circumstances but has anybody else got any advice or experience with this kind of thing ?

In all fairness to my mate he hasnt got a bean and lives in a negative equity house so Bord gais can have it for all they care. They always intended on paying for what they used but in all the stress they have had for the last couple of months its a bill they just forgot about. .At this stage will they be liable for any legal costs (even if they are they cant afford anything!). .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Drumpot wrote: »
    A friend of mine has owed Bord Gais about €300 for the guts of 4 months now (left them for flogas) . . their partner lost their job in that time and they are struggling badly with debts as it is.

They showed me the letter and its pretty heavy handed. . Speaks of court judgements against their property and that legal expenses will be incurred etc. Now I told my friend they should of called up Bord Gais sooner to explain their circumstances but has anybody else got any advice or experience with this kind of thing ?

In all fairness to my mate he hasnt got a bean and lives in a negative equity house so Bord gais can have it for all they care. They always intended on paying for what they used but in all the stress they have had for the last couple of months its a bill they just forgot about. .At this stage will they be liable for any legal costs (even if they are they cant afford anything!). .

If they seek a judgment in the courts they will be liable for the costs. A judgement does not take into account a persons ability to repay so a judgement would be easily obtained unless your friend disputes he used the electricity. The legal costs are awarded by the courts and would not be massive unless your friend wants a day in court for the dispute to be heard in the courtroom.

Your friend needs to talk to them and pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

chris85 wrote: »
    If they seek a judgment in the courts they will be liable for the costs. A judgement does not take into account a persons ability to repay so a judgement would be easily obtained unless your friend disputes he used the electricity. The legal costs are awarded by the courts and would not be massive unless your friend wants a day in court for the dispute to be heard in the courtroom.

Your friend needs to talk to them and pay it back.

Thanks . .

Yeh, I had suggested that they call Bord Gais tomorrow and just ask could they pay back in installments . . Just wanted to see if anybody had any experience or alternative suggestions !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If Bord Gais refuse, tell your friend to contact MABS who will contact Bord Gais on their behalf and sort out a payment plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If Bord Gais refuse, tell your friend to contact MABS who will contact Bord Gais on their behalf and sort out a payment plan.
    Thats if its gas that is owed for.

The BGES Electricity section is less willing to co-operate with non payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for advice all . . My friend contacted Bord Gais and arranged a suitable deal . .:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks for advice all . . My friend contacted Bord Gais and arranged a suitable deal . .:)
    Glad it worked out for you :)

I'd say they only started sending legal notifications etc because they changed suppliers, and BG no longer had the threat of disconnection

Advertisement