Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start back again at piano?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I studied piano until I was 18 - got to grade 7 stopped before I did grade 8 exams as coincided with the Leaving Cert.

Twenty years later (yikes!) I now have a piano again and want to start back with a view of teaching in a few years.

I'm ready to put time into it - but am not sure what's the best way to go about it. Could I find an syllabus somewhere that would lead me though what I need to do? How about on a daily basis what to practice, what goals to set?

How about the diploma how difficult is this? Can I go for this immediately after grade 8 and what does the diploma entail?

Love to get some feedback here.

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ClassicalCathy

Hi Texture.
    I was in a very similar situation. I completed grade 8 with my leaving cert, and then gave up piano for 17 years to go to college and work. I took it up again almost 4 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I also have started teaching.

I would strongly advise you to find a very experienced, dedicated teacher, who will work you hard to drive you to a great result in grade 8. I found the hardest thing was that I had lost all confidence in my own ability to play. It takes a while to build this back up, you'd be surprised. I actually started back by repeating grade 8 rather than jumping to Senior Certificate, to get my momentem back. A good teacher will build this up in you also, and advise you.

I presume you are studying under RIAM. There is a big jump in standard from grade 8 to Senior Certificate, and again a very big jump from Senior Certificate to Diploma. There is a theory exam to be done for the diploma, and the playing standard is quite high (you will have to play a full sonata as part of your exam repertoire).

My advice is to start playing pieces yourself at home from advanced beginner (to start), then intermediate level books. Sight read as much as you can, and buy a book on scales and theory to start practicing those again. Then find a great teacher and enrol for September this year. There is no quick fix to picking back up, just hard work and lots of practice. But if you love it, that's half the work!
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 texture

ClassicalCathy,

Tks a lot for your reply.

Already I'm feeling daunted!!! I didn't realise that there is an additional level between grade 8 and before going for the teaching diploma. Where can I find a description of what this entails - on-line?

I studied at the RIAM but did a mixture of RIAM and Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music exams (which I think are a little easier than RIAM). The last exam completed was RIAM with the Associated Board.

How much time on scales and finger practice would you recommend each day (I still have my scale books and Czerny and A Dozen a Day books)? How much scale practice etc relative to learning of pieces?

How to find a geat teacher for adults in North Co. Dublin (Swords, Skerries, Balbriggan, Drogheda)?

tks a lot for your replies.

Hi Texture.

Hi Texture.
    Don't feel daunted! Once you start delving into practice, you will pick it up quickly. It does take some hours a day. If you start at maybe 15 to 20 minutes warm up for scales, and then an hour for practice, 4 to 5 times a week, you will be starting nicely.
    When you get into doing your exam curriculum , you'll need to increase practice time. I would also strongly recommend that you mix your exam pieces with other pieces, to avoid boredom and increase your repetoire/confidence.
    ABRSM and RIAM are two different examining bodies. You can't do exams for Royal Irish Academy of Music through Associated Board, but a lot of teachers/schools offer the choice of doing one or the other exam. I personally followed RIAM, and their website is http://www.riam.ie/. You will get information under Local Centre and Diploma Examinations. You can also buy their exam handbook anytime from about August on in the Music shops, to see exactly what is on the syllabus for each exam grade. Up to grade 8, all exam pieces are in one book. For Senior Cert and Diploma you will have to order the pieces separately, as there is too much of a choice for them to print in one book.
    I live in County Limerick, so I don't know teachers in your area. As a suggestion, I recommend contacting the DIT in Chatham Row in the city centre, and ask them for teacher recommendations (they have a conservatory of music there), or the RIAM itself. You will need to ensure your teacher is experienced and will inspire you, I can't suggest that enough. Hope this helps. Just let me know if you want any other info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 texture

Tks a lot for the very practical advice. The warmup and practice times sound reasonable and doable.

I'll follow your advice regarding contacting the music schools re finding a suitable teacher.

Once again, many thanks.

• Advertisement

No problem. Glad to help!
    I hope you get on well, and best of luck with it.

Advertisement