Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Pokewalkers Essential?

• 19-07-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭

I can get Heart Gold for a decent price, but it doesnet come with a Pokewalker and it says it isnt compatiable with one, it's also an american verison...
    Do i miss out on much with not having one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I get feck all out of mine anyway, the most useful thing I've gotten from it is a TM for Rain Dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

If it says it's not compatible with one, then i'm giving it a good guess that it's a pirated copy.

I've heard of pirated copies of pokemon being pretty bad when it comes to keeping the save file intact. (probaly not what you want to wake up to! losing all your pokemon :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Awwh hell no.... it's bad enough my Pearl is a fake -_- (unknown to me at time of buying)

But the guy has 100%feedback and there all unopened in original case and shizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If he's saying it's not compatible with a pokewalker, walk away. (no pun intended :o)

The legit HG/SS carts are special infrared ones, to allow them to connect to a pokewalker. The fakes obviously won't as they won't have an infrared thing on them. As for fakes not holding saves, I'm not sure on the DS but I have a fake Emerald on the GBA and it'll sometimes erase data. It's really not worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its completly fake if its not compatable with the walker. So definatly, dont pay alot for it. In fact, youd be better off putting the moneyy towards an r4 or similiar and playing HG/SS on that. At least you can back up the saves then

As for the walker, i brought it everywhere with me at first, then the novelty wore off and i havnt seen it in months under all the crap in my room

• Advertisement

I'ma just save some more and buy it in game or something o_o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, if I saw HG/SS being "not compatible" with the walker, I'd find it a bit suspicious. The walker itself isn't necessary, but it's a handy way to level up a pokemon when you aren't playing and just walking around, and you do occasionally find a rare 'mon, or item (granted it takes a long time to open up a route to get some of these on them).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I would say no, I hardly use mine (though it's handy for building up happiness really quick). That said I wouldn't buy the copy you're looking at - it sounds a bit dodgy TBH. Better off saving your €40 and buying one in a RL shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The walker isn't a necessity but it is a handy luxury.

I have two of them, and while I don't use them for leveling up anything useful (I have the biggest hoot-hoot you ever saw though :) ) they're pretty good for farming Choice- items and a few TMs with the daily pokewalker linkup (each walker can give a gift to walkers every day) depending on your routes. Also, on HG I started a game but never really played it - when I get around to it I'm going to have an army of different 'mons to choose from as my starting lineup.

Having said that, I took them out of my pocket for the first time since buying the games on release yesterday and I don't miss them...

+1 for Wobbles advice. If you're going to go the pirate route, go the sensible pirate route! At least then you can fool yourself that you're just trying it out but if you're enjoying the game you can buy the real deal and not feel you've payed for it twice.

Yeah, i'll just save for it, all i need to do is get a DS that will connect to my internet because for some reason mine wont :'(

@Banjo: I have no intention of pirating the game, i've played my friends and i loved it and now have the ultimate craving for this series yet again

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Yeah, i'll just save for it, all i need to do is get a DS that will connect to my internet because for some reason mine wont :'(

@Banjo: I have no intention of pirating the game, i've played my friends and i loved it and now have the ultimate craving for this series yet again

Your wireless internet needs to be set to WEP rather than WPA2 to get the DS to connect to it. I had the same problem :(

Your wireless internet needs to be set to WEP rather than WPA2 to get the DS to connect to it. I had the same problem :(
    THANK YOU SO MUCH :D
    But guess what my ds broke today -_-
    but guess what else my mammy( i love her thiiiiiiiiiis much) gave me 60 quid to get a lite :D
    and GUESSS WHAT ELSE
    she gave me more to get Soul Silver
    at this stage i cant give a rat's arse that im 17 and according to my friends to old to play pokemon, cauuuse ima play the sh*t outta that game till it screams mercy... Nostalgia here i come bitch :D
    also sorry for the foul language, im really happy about this :cool:

17!!! haha you are quite possible the youngest here. Ah ya have to love the old mammy when they do things like this.

I'm the youngest here o_o

It's ok, there's many older players so don't feel you should stop just because someone says you're too old to play!

I'm 18 and I still play :D

I shall carry on my way to become Pokemon CHAMPION!
    Oh **** now i sound like a gimp xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Yup, I'm 18 too and I still play. Why not? They're great games :)

17? 18? I have T-shirts older than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

I'm the youngest here o_o

Lol no. I'm 14 D;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

THANK YOU SO MUCH :D
    But guess what my ds broke today -_-
    but guess what else my mammy( i love her thiiiiiiiiiis much) gave me 60 quid to get a lite :D
    and GUESSS WHAT ELSE
    she gave me more to get Soul Silver
    at this stage i cant give a rat's arse that im 17 and according to my friends to old to play pokemon, cauuuse ima play the sh*t outta that game till it screams mercy... Nostalgia here i come bitch :D
    also sorry for the foul language, im really happy about this :cool:
    Our youngest player is actually ElNick's son (although his son doesn't post up here). He was young enough to partake in the Junior Devision in the VGC (big yearly Pokémon Championships) this year.

Heck I grew up with being the only girl playing video games in an all girls school in a backwards town when video games where only for boys. I'm now one of the most experienced Pokémon player and the highest ranking Irish Pokémon player (plug plug plug ^_^), coming in Top 32 in the UK VGC and Top 16 in the Madrid VGC this year, that's out of 256 players.

If something feels good to you, then stick with it, don't let others tell you what you should be doing. It's your life, you choose what you want to be :)

• Advertisement

If something feels good to you, then stick with it, don't let others tell you what you should be doing. It's your life, you choose what you want to be :)

I wanna be the very best....:cool:

Ok guys, bring it back on topic plz. :)

Sorrrry :P
    Rightio well i shall be picking up my copy today WITH(just so i know it legit) a polkewalker from gamestop or something, anyone have the price. Is it like 35-40?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Sorrrry :P
    Rightio well i shall be picking up my copy today WITH(just so i know it legit) a polkewalker from gamestop or something, anyone have the price. Is it like 35-40?
    About €45 for a new copy, about €40 for a second hand copy

I saw one in HMV on Saturday for €38. I paid €40 for mine two weeks ago in Xtragame

Alright thanks guys ^^
    going to get it now... amd sooner or later i be tradin and battlin :D

Picked up mine just after release for €40 in tesco. Still that price when i priced HG last week. They still have a copy of diamond for €45!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Ha, and after I got Platinum 2 weeks before the HGSS release for €25 in Xtra Vision. Tesco fail!

Had to shell out 45 quid o_o
    i was like eh can i have one without a pokewalker and he was like eh no... i was like Ass -_-
    but i looked all suspiscious buying the game and he was like oh btw its a ****ing lethal game B-) enjoy it
    i was like oh Game, victory once more... now down to my Silllllvers :D

• Advertisement

You were like ass?
    I'm pretty sure that whatever bastardisation happens to the spoken language, the written language should not follow suit, it just doesn't work.....
    There's a kung-fu epithet I never thought would catch on. "Be like ass, grasshopper".
    Anyway, welcome to the fambly!

Advertisement