Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Based on my stats below, what do you think is the max download available?

• 19-07-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 20.8 dB 26.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 35.0 dB 18.5 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.8 dBm 12.1 dBm

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 20.8 dB 26.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 35.0 dB 18.5 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.8 dBm 12.1 dBm

According to the usual http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

7.5 megs down on ADSL1, 11 megs down on ADSL2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Spear wrote: »
    According to the usual http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

7.5 megs down on ADSL1, 11 megs down on ADSL2.

Thanks. So, I should be able to get 8MB (max. available under Eircom's NGB and Vodafone's Enhanced Broadband then)?

Is a big deal for them to switch me from ADSL1 to ADSL2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks. So, I should be able to get 8MB (max. available under Eircom's NGB and Vodafone's Enhanced Broadband then)?

Is a big deal for them to switch me from ADSL1 to ADSL2?

If you go for 8 megs you line will sync at its highest ADSL1 rate, which may expose you to disconnects and noise.

Switching to ADSL2 may not be an option in your exchange, you'll need to confirm that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Spear wrote: »
    If you go for 8 megs you line will sync at its highest ADSL1 rate, which may expose you to disconnects and noise.

Switching to ADSL2 may not be an option in your exchange, you'll need to confirm that first.

It's currently connecting at 6MB on DSL channel G.DMT. But there was a period when it synced at 9MB on an ADSL2+ channel, the SNR downstream dropped to 6db but it was stable. So I believe it is possible. It's currently something I'm looking into.

If it is available in my exchange is there any reason why the provider wouldn't provide it?

Advertisement