Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver 3Mb - Anyone else slowing down?

• 19-07-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Just a shout out to anyone who might be on the same plan as me (UTV Clicksilver 3Mb), wondering if anyone else has experienced marked slowdown in the last week or so? Speedtest.net giving very variable results, anything from 0.88Mb - 2.15 or so within a 5 minute period, but YouTube and file downloads (from pretty much anywhere) are consistently slow despite this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Breezer wrote: »
    giving very variable results, anything from 0.88Mb - 2.15 or so within a 5 minute period
    I moved to them last month - and that has been my experience on download ie. erratic at times (upload seems to be pretty steady). I moved from smart - whose speeds were consistent/steady for both download/upload ...but I had to move as I kept getting 'knocked off' their broadband.
    Hard to get what you want when confined to bitstream :(

Currently on bistream provider no.4 in the space of 8 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Interesting. They used to be fantastic. Although I notice they've now brought out an 8mb plan; I wonder have they freed up bandwidth for this by increasing the contention ratio of their cheaper plans (I've no idea if that even makes sense, just a theory).

I've emailed them, I'll see what they say.

I wonder have they freed up bandwidth for this by increasing the contention ratio of their cheaper plans (I've no idea if that even makes sense, just a theory).
    I don't know what they offered before but I think you might be right. According to this here, contention of 48:1 on their first 3 packages and 12:1 on the 8MB package.
    I notice they've now brought out an 8mb plan
    Be aware that your bitstream line may not be capable of delivering on download speed (although in fairness to utv, they advised me of this). I wanted to get a better upload speed but moving from 3MB to 7MB package wouldn't provide this - I would have to take 8MB - but then the line is only rated to deliver 6MB....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BmanHamo

12:1 on the 8MB package.
    Upgrading to this today! wish they would keep me up to date with the pacages

BmanHamo wrote: »
    Upgrading to this today! wish they would keep me up to date with the pacages
    Hi mate. Can you run a few speedtest.net tests on it over the next week - if you have a spare few minutes? It would be good to get an indication as to how much better this will work for you - especially with the lower contention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement