Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deerpark suicide - Late 1990s?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

(Apologies in advance for the morbid thread subject and especially if people have personal connections to the story)

While in primary school in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I remember a story going around that that a young man had committed suicide by hanging himself from a goal post in Deer Park, Mount Merrion. As you can imagine, it freaked a lot of us out at the time.

For some reason, the story came into my head during the week and I'm trying to figure out now whether it actually happened or it was just a urban legend/rumour that went around the schoolyard.

Can anyone help? Was there a suicide in Deer Park in the late 1990s/early 2000s? (A search on the Irish Times archive has been fruitless so far)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Heard the same story myself at the time, so I reckon it either did happen or was a very powerful urban myth.
    Not surprised you didn't find anything searching for it. Suicides rarely feature in newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TwoHeadeddog

It did happen. A relation of mine lives beside the park and saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If you could find the coroner or pathologist (sorry don't know which) reports for Dublin at the time you'd dig it up but I don't know whether you'd be allowed access, I'd be fairly certain you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I heard this too, i had also heard the guy had gone to Benildus but i'm not sure if that part's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It did happen. I was walking to school that morning and fortunately went a different route that day. I know a girl who was a couple years below saw the body and was freaked out by it.

From what I heard the fella was from Leitrim and was one of three boys one of whom had already killed himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

God yeah. I remember hearing that too. And I remember hearing someone had walked throught the park and found him. Awful story. I live right beside the park but have no reason to go near it in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It did happen. I was walking to school that morning and fortunately went a different route that day. I know a girl who was a couple years below saw the body and was freaked out by it.

From what I heard the fella was from Leitrim and was one of three boys one of whom had already killed himself.

What pitch did he hang himself at.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

If you could find the coroner or pathologist (sorry don't know which) reports for Dublin at the time you'd dig it up but I don't know whether you'd be allowed access, I'd be fairly certain you wouldn't.
    the coroner at the time was john harbison

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I think this topic is unsuitable and should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think this topic is unsuitable and should be closed.

suicide, like any other topic should not be buried and hidden away as some people find it unpleasant. this topic has been discreet and not offensive in the least from my reading of it. I would suggest you simply not read it if it offends you.

i have never heard of this myself but not from the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

unknown13 wrote: »
    What pitch did he hang himself at.

Why ever would you need to know that?
    I agree with the poster who suggested this thread be closed. The OP's question has been answered and there is no positive benefit to be gained from leaving a discussion on the matter open.
    The dead have relatives who are living, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

In time it will drift off the front page and be forgotten. No need to lock I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

1968 wrote: »
    (Apologies in advance for the morbid thread subject and especially if people have personal connections to the story)

While in primary school in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I remember a story going around that that a young man had committed suicide by hanging himself from a goal post in Deer Park, Mount Merrion. As you can imagine, it freaked a lot of us out at the time.

For some reason, the story came into my head during the week and I'm trying to figure out now whether it actually happened or it was just a urban legend/rumour that went around the schoolyard.

Can anyone help? Was there a suicide in Deer Park in the late 1990s/early 2000s? (A search on the Irish Times archive has been fruitless so far)
    OP, I grew up in the area, finished school in 1993 and lived there until around 2004. I do recall hearing something about this but don't recall any specifics. I believed it at the time but it could have been chinese whispers.

Advertisement