Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[SPOILER] Gear Problems!!!

• 19-07-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I recentley had a issue with my gears, I was out of the saddle, pushing hard up a steep hill to breakaway from the group, went for a gear change and all of a sudden the fecking chain dropped off , before I knew it my Friend blasted by me screaming "eat my dust".
    So embarrassing :(, having to get off and put my chain back on , whats really infuriating was that the bike was recentley set up by a "professional mechanic" :mad:, the bike is a Specilized Rubaix SL3 which is using the new fancy Dura ace Di2 Groupset.
    Has anybody else had any problems with this groupset of was it my fault for bringing it Halfords? The Servicing plan for e25 was too good to pass up, especially with the Professional mechanics.

ANy advice on how I can fix this problem, Ive lost the lead now and my friend is slagging me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Eh, spoiler alert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

ANy advice on how I can fix this problem, Ive lost the lead now and my friend is slagging me.

Andy, I come from a very close family and whenever anyone has a go at me like this I usually tell my big brother about it and he sorts it out for me. Do you have any siblings you can turn to for support?

Regarding the mechanical issues; there's a bike store in Dublin that would definitely cater for your class of machine, just don't ask to borrow their pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Get a new friend.

And a new mechanic.

And get some tips about changing gears on steep uphill sections while accelerating hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Sigh, thanks for ruining the stage I guess. A lot of us work for a living and wait till the highlights come on in the evening, be nice if you didn't ruin that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AndySchleck85

Moflojo wrote: »
    Andy, I come from a very close family and whenever anyone has a go at me like this I usually tell my big brother about it and he sorts it out for me. Do you have any siblings you can turn to for support?.

I do, but he has a broken bone , so hes not much use. :(
    Moflojo wrote: »
    Regarding the mechanical issues; there's a bike store in Dublin that would definitely cater for your class of machine, just don't ask to borrow their pump.

Which bike store is this? will they have my bike ready for tomorrow? I dont need a pump so thats okay.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    And get some tips about changing gears on steep uphill sections while accelerating hard.

The bike cost £7,000 , I'd only expect this carry on from crap like cervelo and Sram.
    Do you have any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Do you have any tips?

You have too much money! Get a cheaper bike. Ask your employer about the BTW scheme.

Alternately, quit (whining).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Are you in a cycling club or do you cycle with a few mates?
    Either way, next time you're on a steep climb try and work together with your friends against the other rider, this will make him feel tired and hungry....and next time you're in halfords buy a chain guide (the staff in there will know what you mean, they're really good)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

small claims court, sue the supplier and the mechanic and your friend - only option really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

zil wrote: »
    Sigh, thanks for ruining the stage I guess. A lot of us work for a living and wait till the highlights come on in the evening, be nice if you didn't ruin that.

Today FM sports ruined it for bloody me :mad: I was in dreamland sitting in traffic only half listening to the radio but as soon as news of the tour came on my ears pricked, feic them but at least they didn't give details on what exactly happened, just who had the yellow jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

dont worry borrow the team 'motorbike' tomorrow and get the time back no problem.

furiousox wrote: »
    Are you in a cycling club or do you cycle with a few mates?
    Either way, next time you're on a steep climb try and work together with your friends against the other rider, this will make him feel tired and hungry....and next time you're in halfords buy a chain guide (the staff in there will know what you mean, they're really good)

Im in a cycling club, I was trying to work with my mates, in fact they are great mates, I get them to slow the rest down while I cycle away and win.
    Oh I havnt seen any chain devices in Halfords, maybe the mechanics could make me one that works with my compact and give me the use of my gears, they are always full of ideas, I was doing some racing on cobbled streets there awhile back and they advised me that I could do with a set of Marzocchi 66s up front, they said the 150mm travel would make it alot easier on me. Do you guys think I should have gone with this?

I got off the phone to the manager of Halfords, he said he needs to order in a part, but Luckily they were Kind enough to give me a loan of their Trax TFS1.D bikes, I'm gunna destroy my friend, those disc brakes will let me brake later into the corners and with the Dual shocks I'll be floating along. Do you think I could swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Next time take your bike to Kona for a pre-race spanner check. He'll not only fix it, he'll teach you not be act like such a shaky baby if it happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Specilized Rubaix SL3

Heres your problem, should have gone for a Tarmac

mloc123 wrote: »
    Heres your problem, should have gone for a Tarmac

Oh I have one of those too;), and another funny looking one with silly handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The bike cost £7,000 , I'd only expect this carry on from crap like cervelo and Sram.
    Do you have any tips?

Cervelo + SRAM + Sprinting on a hill + Shifting = very loud clunk so everyone knows you are about to jump but no dropped chain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

wait this is a joke ye

ill get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Here's your problem:

Your over-bite is severe, you are a bit goofy and to me you have a weird accent when you speak english.

You need to stop posing for silly photos in the week before the tour.

You need some more testostrone if you want to win the tour - but I don't think you ever will.

You went all in today - but into where we don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

which is using the new fancy Dura ace Di2 Groupset.

there is your 1st problem Andy, your actually using SRAM Red :)
    your 2nd problem is thinking your friend would have waited. he just aint that type of friend, just ask a mate of mine, Juan Pelota :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

After some complaints that this spoiled yesterday's stage, I have banned for 1 month the long-standing forum member who posted this (and permabanned this more recent alter-ego).

Please be considerate to those who can't watch TV at work but still want to read the other threads on the forum. The spoiler rules were arrived at after much discussion, and have been well respected this year with this one exception.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement