Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website. May interest some lads here

Options
  • 19-07-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

www.rangelog.com
    Maybe some lads here will find this of use.
    Im still trying to figure it out:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It would appear to me to be a useful tool mainly, but not solely, for target shooters. According to the description on the website it is for shot logs, training, live firing, dry firing, etc. These are useful tools when trying different ammo, firing in different conditions, shot placement logs.

Each time i shoot at the range i record the different shots, their location/impact on the target, the conditions i'm shooting in and the ammo i'm using. It serves as a guide/reminder that i can use at a later date in similar conditions.

So long as the application (on the iphone, etc) is not overly complicated it would save on paperwork, but basically do the same job.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not a bad idea so long as you already have an iPhone or whatever.
    There was a version written by an Irish shooter for archery a while back, it seems to have been reasonably successful.
    Frankly though, the more things like this, the better. The way forward for our sports lies in embracing this kind of thing. When you can go to the range, shoot for an hour, and have your scores going up by live feed to twitter or facebook, it's going to bring in people with an average age of under 45...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I prefer talking to real people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bananaman wrote: »

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

So do i but i thought maybe some of the target shooters might find it interesting.

• Advertisement

Not the app - I've been using that for a while already.

The concept of telling people via twitter that I shot 350 rounds or 9mm, 200 rounds of .22 and 100 rounds of 12 gauge yesterday and where I did it and what my hit factor was is of no intrinsic use nor interest to me.

My competitions results are public anyway - sometimes that is a good thing - practice I see no value in publishing.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The concept of telling people via twitter that I shot 350 rounds or 9mm, 200 rounds of .22 and 100 rounds of 12 gauge yesterday and where I did it and what my hit factor was is of no intrinsic use nor interest to me.

What about its usefulness to your sport in attracting friends and family to have a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 LongRifle

Not the app - I've been using that for a while already.

My competitions results are public anyway - sometimes that is a good thing - practice I see no value in publishing.

B'Man

I’m with you on that one.

If lads spent more time on the actual shooting and less on the trivial fluff that surrounds it they’d find themselves improving a lot quicker.
    I personally hate the likes of Twitter, Facebook, Bebo and all those other social engineering type sites.

No offence B'man, but it was a while since you were a junior. And facebook is in use continually by a lot of shooters from juniors to seniors from club level to the olympic games.

And even the IOC (who're not well known for being anything but conservative) have been pushing sporting bodies to embrace this sort of thing. It's just too damn useful and too much fun to ignore it.

Not to mention that "I prefer to talk to real people" sounds a wee bit silly when half the international circuit is up on facebook at the moment. (Nor that it sounds even sillier when you post it up on an internet forum...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's not a bad idea. I already keep an online training journal (as in my sig) but it's more for impressions and results, changes to setup and little things I'm coming across than as a shot log. Just for what I do, personally, I don't think logging actual usage is that useful, but it might be for someone else. That and it would scare me to look at my annual ammo expenditure and price it all up...

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    What about its usefulness to your sport in attracting friends and family to have a go?

It'll not be my scores that will attract people to the sport - it's experiencing the sport up front and personal that will either picque their interest or not.

At least that's what did it for me. I had loads of mates trying to get me to come to the range for years regaling me of tales of great guns and great shots but it was of no interest to me but they did get me to go to a Charity Shoot and I have been once or twice a week ever since.

You see - and i do not know if this applies to many - but I don't give a toss about guns - I just like shooting.

There are a lot of gun geeks out there who get a semi at the sight of a gun from WWII or at the chance to fire a wobbly and wobbly or can quote the pedigree of such and such a flare gun and which ship @ dunkirk it was on but it is of no interest to me.

I have shot everything that I can and know what I like and do not like so for example I like a certain type of cartridge for clay shooting but I have never changed the chokes in my gun (in truth I never took em out so not sure what is in there) as I just break the clays and be happy with it.

I got a Glock Pistol because it suited what I was shooting at the time and my pocket - but I would love a 6" Revolver in .38spl (could not give a toss who made it as long as it works)

I like the Browning Buckmark for GRSB - buggered it I know why but I do.

I would like a Colt Woodsman for 22 target pistol

I think the Marlin 1894c in .38spl is a match made in heaven.

I think the .308 is a very civilsed round for Long Range rifle but there is not enough time in the day for me to take on another sport.

None of them because of who made them or the genesis of why they came about whatever but I just liked shooting them.

Buggered it I know anything about the history of any of them or who has shot what scores except in matches I have been at.

As to the publication of this stuff on twitter or facebook - If I thought it would do any good I would - as to attracting Juniors - doing that on Facebook may be illegal for someone my age.

I've been working with computers since long before there was eMail or D'Internet (yes there was a time before computers could communicate with each other) and have seen all these fads come and go - facebook and twitter et al will all shortly fall by the wayside when something new with sparkly bits on it comes out. What was wrong with usenet anyway?

Hence I, personally, prefer to talk to someone or to invite them to come and have a look and actually go outdoors for a while to get introduced to this sport - rather than sitting inside talking about it

(I only do this coz I'm at work and waiting for a build)

B'Man

I've been working with computers since long before there was eMail or D'Internet (yes there was a time before computers could communicate with each other) and have seen all these fads come and go - facebook and twitter et al will all shortly fall by the wayside when something new with sparkly bits on it comes out. What was wrong with usenet anyway?
    Its signal to noise ratio sucked eggs, you couldn't include images or files in your posts easily (especially before the web showed up) unless you were running your own ftp/archie server somewhere and if you're telling me that nn was userfriendly compared to firefox or chrome, you'll just be being silly.

Some of us who think twitter and facebook are useful tools started off with Archie and Gopher and Finger too y'know, and remember seeing this World Wide Web thing coming out of CERN while we were in college and thinking that it seemed allright but nothing terribly fancy...

Point is, yes, people get the bug most easily when they go to the range and try it out; but that doesn't mean that they can't get an interest in trying it from other sources, it doesn't mean that they can't look up how to try it on the net, and it doesn't mean that those who already have the bug can't keep up to date on what everyone else is doing (and thus keep the bug alive) using these here modern new-fangled whatchamacallem's.

It's precisely the same as electronic targets. Some people think tin cans on a fence are as far advanced as we should get and that moving past that point is losing the purity of the sport, but they're ignoring the simple fact that every junior in the last decade that we've put at an electronic firing point has been more engrossed in what they were doing than when we put them in front of a paper target.

We might as well embrace this and use it to our advantage instead of turning our backs on it and watching the average age of target shooters in Ireland go up by another year this year...

Competition results are always publicly visible for your 'peers' to see them.

The difficulty with getting juniors into the shooting sports is not because of communications - it's their parents you need to convince after all - not the kids.

It's the increasing roadblocks being put in the way by the state to prevent the development of the shooting sports
    It's the insistence among the media mavericks to not acknowledge shooting as a sport.
    It's the ever lasting need for the peoples judean front to try to justify their own existence to the detriment of the peoples front of judea.
    And it's the costs involved which make it prohibitive for juniors to get involved.

That's why you see more of them in the Air disciplines and the college clubs - because the costs are negligible and there is already shared kit available ad it's there in front of them.

For Smallbore Pistol or Rifle, Centrefire Pistol or Rifle or Shotgun it's a BIG deal to introduce juniors and i don't think a few tweets will make the difference.

B'Man

I don't think twitter itself is going to save our sports on it's own B'man :)
    I'm saying that these new websites (whether they be twitter, facebook, boards.ie, photobucket, youtube or something else entirely) are more tools for us to use, along with electronic targets, legislative reform, public relations work, and so forth. And they happen to be quite effective and very cheap tools to boot.

Advertisement