Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting rhubarb

Options
  • 19-07-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I intend to transplant some rhubarb from one garden to another. Is November the best time to lift it? My garden won't be ready to transplant it then so I'm thinking about putting it in a large pot and then tranplanting it in early spring (Feb/March).

Is this feasible? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

before christmas is best i.m.o. if you wait until march be sure to keep it frost free, if a trench is dug filler with rotted farmyard manure, the crowns placed 1 metre apart then covered earth, do not remove any stalks the first year, leave them to die away, this helps the crowns to mature and give a better yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I moved mine last year around November time. They had only been 1 year in their 1st location.

When I moved them I had put plenty of manure in the new hole and they were pretty much covered completely when the bed was finished.

They came on great this year and I have pulled plenty of rhubarb, despite reading lots about don't pull in 1st year. We have had a few crumbles, in laws had some and we have some in freezer with more to be pulled this weekend. It is just too delicious to leave there to die :eek:

Good luck and enjoy

Advertisement