Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you wear to work girls?

• 19-07-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Just thinking about what most ladies wear to work?I have to wear a uniform (navy trousers and white blouse,black shoes etc).
    Have to say I hate it;feels like I can't express my identity. Even when I wear jewellery, I just feel so dull.

So what do the rest of you ladies wear on a day to day basis to work?Are you free to wear whatever you like or are in a uniform like myself?If so,what are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm a postgrad student so for the most part I wear what I like, but usually I have to meet a study participant/give a presentation/go to a meeting and wear something a little smarter.
    Tbh, I'd be ok with wearing a uniform or at least adhering to a dress code, it might make choosing what to wear every morning a little bit easier! The OH has to wear a suit to work and it's so easy for him; shirt, matching tie, out the door. That'd be nice for a change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I can wear whatever I want to work :) i could go in in scruffy tracksuit & a hoody & itd be fine :pac: i usually wear a casual dress with a long cardigan and tights/leggings :)

im looking for a new job at the moment and i dread having to wear business wear everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Anything I like - usually jeans and a top & sandals in this weather... :)

Kinda smart but doesn't have to be a suit (except for the poor lads who always have to wear them :D ) so just "smart" trousers and whatever kind of tops

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I can wear what I like provided I wear these boots.

However, some days I have meetings so I usually dress up a bit for those ..... but with the boots :(

They weigh 3lbs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Have to wear a uniform to work (work in a DIY shop) so its black combaty type pants, black long sleeved top (or short sleeved in summer)....and orange aprony thing (very flattering :rolleyes:) *Only 2 more weeks though hehe phew :D
    They're pretty relaxed about what else we wear, as long as its not massive hoopy earrings or big long necklaces (would be stupid and dangerous in diy place-could get caught on things etc). One of the girls has pinky/purple hair and nothing is said about it, they hired her like that so we're allowed express individuality etc etc
    Before the most recent uniform change we were allowed wear our own pants/trousers and most wore jeans but I prefer the black uniform trousers, they're thick and wouldn't easily tear. Though the cut is awful (guys trousers) and they're a bit short on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At the moment I'm a postgraduate student so pretty much anything goes. In my last job the dress code was pretty casual, I wore jeans and t-shirts most days.

The thought of having to dress smart when I find a job after I finish my masters is a bit scary - I honestly cannot imagine myself in a suit for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'd love to have a uniform! We have to wear "officewear", which is technically a suit, but we'd get away with a trousers/skirt and top (basically the suit without a jacket!) But you can't exactly wear the same things every day, and I hate spending loads of money on work clothes. :( Having a uniform would make things so much easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

It depends what section I'm in at work, if I'm in Designers or the abck of the store I have to wear balck, cram, champagne, white and pink is the colour of the season. so usually any shift dresses, nice black trousers, pencil skirts, leggings, any type of dress in said colours...smart, put together look. If I'm in the Young Contemporary section I can wear the jeans we sell and the top should be in any of the colours previously mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I can wear anything where I work so it depends on my mood, sometimes I make an effort to look nice, if I'm tired or hungover I wear trackies haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I can wear what I want as long as it's business wear or something not too far removed from business wear. It can be a little dull and I have to spend a silly amount of cash on work clothes, which is a bit of a pain. I try to add my own twist to things as much as I can tho. I must say I really envy people who can wear casual clothes for their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

A wetsuit

Seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Semi-casual, nice, well fitting, fashionable clothes. Generally I'll wear skirt or dresses (always has to be with dark tights) or slim fitting jeans and a top+cardigan. Although considering I work in retail I don't think I'm your traget audience :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I work in retail too, and can wear whatever I like. I wear what I wear any day really. It just can't be too low-cut, too short, or have bare shoulders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've a uniform thankfully. I don't have enough/any nice clothes to wear to work if I had too and would hate to have to spend my hard earned dosh on outfits for works. Navy trousers and white polo shirt ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I can wear what I like, so it depends on my mood, but the majority of the time I'm in some kind of jeans/t shirt or vest/cardi or hoody combo. Comfort is my priority, sometimes I wish I was better at dressing up though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Obviously dealing with the public like I do and in the job I'm in I have to look smart and trendy :rolleyes:

I usually wear black but then I have days where I could wear some mad colours :D

I hated having to wear a uniform in work because I was so restricted in what I could put with it :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I can wear anything I want as long as it is black and white, and I can't wear open-toed shoes. As a result, on days off I tend to wear lots of colour to make up for it :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I wear anything that looks professional, which depending on my mood can range from a tailored dress to black trousers and a smart jumper (if I'm feeling lazy). The one thing I hate is the lack of colour, I'm constantly trying to introduce more colour into my wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I always wear black for some reason, always black trousers. I deal with customers so I have to look business-like but I think I could be a lot more stylish, I'd love to have the confidence to wear more skirts and dresses to work but I would feel too overdressed, I know it's stupid but I just can't step out of my comfort zone!

Most of the girls based full time in the office dress quite casually, we don't have a dress code, a lot of people wear jeans. To be honest even if I'm spending the day in the office I prefer not to wear jeans. I like keeping my work clothes and my casual clothes seperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I don't mind a uniform, if its part-time work, not my career. If I ever get a job I would like to be able to express my individuality.

This link might be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevalz

tat aint to bad i av to wear blue pants and a cheff jaket tats way way way to big 4 me and a hair net n a papper hat :eek:cant wear make up nailpolish r notin i work in a deli and ate it work evyday jst feel lyk a fella cos i am real girly n love make up and al n jst feel yoak wen im workin so i no hw u feel u aint alone dere:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kevalz, txtspk is against the charter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

for years i wore paint splattered jeans with a navy sweatshirt or tshirt [also a bit paint splattered]. it was better than getting my real clothes destroyed daily, but on lunch breaks/the walk home from work i felt such a mess and wouldnt make plans to do things without going home and changing first!

my last few jobs have been retail and i have LOVED being able to wear my own clothes -dresses and cardi's. hate the idea of having to dress formally for work, though i'd just have to make the effort to find office-appropriate dresses i suppose. about to start my postgrad so i can keep it casual for the next year at least, and hoping to be a librarian after that -pencil skirts and cute blouses, here i come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kevalz wrote: »
    tat aint to bad i av to wear blue pants and a cheff jaket tats way way way to big 4 me and a hair net n a papper hat :eek:cant wear make up nailpolish r notin i work in a deli and ate it work evyday jst feel lyk a fella cos i am real girly n love make up and al n jst feel yoak wen im workin so i no hw u feel u aint alone dere:)

:confused:

We have a dress code thats "business casual" wtf is that like? its either one or the other! Its ridiculous to have a dress code at all, we're a call centre, our customers cant see us, I could be sitting there in a clown suit for all they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

kevalz wrote: »

What language is this? :confused:

I work in an athletic retail shop so my uniform is pretty casual. Black bottoms and the company's logo tshirts and runners. Free though so it's good. Very comfortable but I like to dress smart-casual mostly so feel a bit yuck in work sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I'm about to start a hospital-based PhD and the dress code is two pages long. Two bits that make me smile are:
    Appropriate undergarments are required.
    The following are deemed unacceptable: (1) skirt/dress/shorts’ lengths shorter than 3” above the knee, measure from center of patella

That's Americans for ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I work in sales so dependent on the client I'm going to see anything from a black suit, to a pretty skirt and top. Never short, never low cut, but I do try to mix things up with colours, shoes and handbags. Jewellery and hair always conservative. However just found out I'm pregnant so now need to find not too expensive maternity wear that will be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Im working at home today, so i get to wear pyjamas! :D \o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

It depends if I work with dogs or in the office. If I work with dogs I usually wear a tracksuit.
    And when I'm in the office I wear anything, bar tracksuits/pjs:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Suits, dresses or trousers and shirts depending on what's going on.

The odd time I wear jeans if I've no meetings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I'm a teacher, and we've no dress code in our school. Although, most of the teachers dress casually. I wear tracksuit bottoms and a nice top most days..I find it's much easier to run around after hyperactive children this way:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Has to be office appropriate but not necessarlily a suit ...

When I first started working I used to make more of an effort but as time went on I got lazy about it. Black trousers and a cardi/top were my staple. Looked like I had the same outfit on everyday, just a different colour top.

I've started making an effort again though, it's amazing how changing how you dress can change how you feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whatever I like. Jeans and top normally, or leggings, etc. I don't normally wear skirts or dresses in work so they tend to feel like weekend or evening clothes to me. The only prohibitive thing about how I dress is that I cycle to work and skirts are a little awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Working in a dusty aul museum, away from the eye of the public means I can wear anything I like. It's best not to wear anything too nice, there is so much dust everywhere.

And I'd hate to spill a jar of fish-ladened alcohol over my favorite jeans! :pac:

From an asthetic point of view it doesn't matter too much as we generally wear lab-coats.

In the winter, the building is FREEZING so I always end up wearing about 5 jumpers. :D

I've pretty much ended up dressing like a hobo at this stage. Not fit to be seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I have to wear a black suit everyday to work. The only bit of individuality I get is to wear a different coloured shirt underneath. On one hand it saves me the hassle of choosing an outfit each day but it can get very dull and repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Business wear but I find I can get away with most dresses, skirts and tops etc if I am wearing heels. I never wear suits or trousers to work. Trousers make me feel less professional for some reason and most rarely flatter my figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Work in an internet company, can wear basically anything, which is nice. Means I can dress up or dress down and nobody gives a hoot. Don't like wearing heels in the office though, it's a bit too much for work plus we have wooden floors so heels are really noisy.

Today, for example, I'm wearing a black cardi, plain black vest top, straight leg jeans and converse. Nothing very exciting but I do dress up a bit more depending on my mood (and/or if I've slept it out). Most of the lads in the office are currently wearing surfing shorts/jeans, tshirts and hoodies so it's nice and relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

A very boring suit uniform, some days trousers & some days a skirt & always my trusty heels as I am so small!! Would love to wear what i want but in reality would cost a lot of money & energy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

Truley wrote: »
    A wetsuit

Seriously!

Where do you work? Outdoors or underground?
    Describe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

I wear a biz suit each day. I don't mind at all 'cos it means I don't spend hours fretting over what to wear to work.
    However the one piece of footwear I deplore on girls and guys going to work are trainers, runners or sneakers.
    A girl wore trainers into our office and after a few days the pong from them was terrible. As I am the team leader I had to explain to her that she must wear shoes or boots. NOT smelly trainers.
    She got the message, was most apologetic and has never worn them in the office since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Joan Fontaine

When I've meetings I'll normally wear a dress or skirt or sometimes even skinny jeans with heels or boots. I rarely wear trousers - they're just so blah and I really don't think they do anything for my figure.

When I don't have meetings I'm pretty casual but would never be seen dead in runners. To be honest this advice is pretty useless because I don't have a typical job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I work in a sweater shop, and while we've no strict uniform we do have to look smart because we do spend all day talking to tourists, and if all the staff are wearing smart dark clothing then I suppose it makes it easier for the customers to identify us as staff. I always wear black trousers, and then either a black blouse or a black low-cut top with a higher-cut coloured vest underneath, as I like to add a bit of colour; if I'm wearing all black I'll wear coloured beads or earrings to lift it. A couple of the girls wear black skinny jeans, which are fine really as long as they're worn with smart shoes. I wear all-black runners, I have to when I'm doing a 10 hour shift, but the trousers hide them quite well. I like that we have a set type of attire but still have room for a bit of expression.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I work in a clothes shop, so I have to wear their stock. I mix and match old and new stuff, but still have to reflect the current trends and "stories" that the shop is going for each season. Accessories are important too, easy way to update an outfit.
    One thing that is paramount is comfortable shoes. Even if it's only a four hour shift, you're either running around after customers, or standing for ages behind the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Most days a tunic (have lots of different coloured ones) and in winter black trousers and summer white linen trousers. On days that I have a meeting I wear a suit or a dress with with nice shoes and jewellery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

High waisted skirt, long sleeved t-shirt, long cardi, black tights and flat shoes. Obviously the exact details change every day but that's pretty much it in a nut-shell. I'm a quant in a bank and rarely need to 'dress to impress'. I can't really wear heels cos of bunions.

I do wear a full face of make up and wear my hair down and straightened too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I find it very hard to express myself in my work clothers- I've to wear navy or black trousers (or skirt) and black polishable shoes (can't even wear open toed sandles in this pretty weather)- and then I've a company shirt that is bloody roasting!!
    Can't wear jewellery or anything :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Black trousers and a blouse. Any type of footwear goes, so long as it's black. I'm actually glad my workplace has a uniform, I wouldn't want to be wasting my clothes by wearing them at work; plus the idea of deciding what to wear every day sounds like a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Have the most horrible green uniform- top wouldn't be so bad, but taper cut green trousers make me feel like an ugly leprechaun or something. Also makes me feel unprofessional and wonder how clients can take me seriously when I feel ridiculous. Last job was much better- could wear whatever I needed too, which was a lot of jumpers in winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I work at home so I can wear whatever I want. Although it is kinda messy work so normally it's old jeans and a tshirt or sometimes pyjamas :o

My boyfriend comes home for lunch to find me messy, covered in icing sugar and butter all over my jeans, I'm so hot! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement