Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body Hair issue

• 19-07-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with excessive body hair and was wondering if anyone can help with any practical solutions. Most of me is fine except my bikini line and underarms. I shave under my arms every day and there is still a black shadow. My bikini "line" is no line, I have to shave a good three inches either side down and get bumpy red spots and a black shadow. I am going on holidays and am going to a water park so I cant wear my sarong (I usually always cover up).
    I have an epilator but I tried it and it's too sore except on my legs. I am too scared and embarrassed to go to a salon. I have compared my bikini / underarms to my friends who admit mine is way worse! I can't afford laser and am going in a week anyway. I tried to wax myself before and it wouldn't come out. Veet doesn'ty get rid of it and leaves the black shadow. Any ideas how to minimise the pain of the epilator or are there any oither things I could do?
    I don't want to ruin my holiday but I will be thinking about it all the time and won't relax. I check other women out on the sly and none are like me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

In the short term go to a salon for a professional wax. I can understand that you feel embarassed but really and truly the people in the salons are professionals who have seen it all before. They will make you feel fully at ease and once the wax is all over and done with you'll feel fantastic.

Save up for laser. I had it done about 2 or 3 years ago and it was honestly the best money I have ever spent (well that and getting my eyes lasered too). I know many people have had bad experiences with laser hair removal but mine was hugely successful and apart from the odd hair here and there ( and I really mean only one or two) I am entirely hair free on my legs, bikini line and under arms. My only regret about the whole thing is that I didn't get a more extended bikini line done at the time as I get a full Hollywood wax there now.
    Loads of places have come down in price since I got mine done and allow phased payments too. My younger sister is getting laser done at the moment and she was able to split the payments into 3 or 4 and she is delighted with the results so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

You do realise that this problem is likely mainly your own doing?

I dont mean to come across as harsh, but the more often you shave the quicker the hair comes back and the more bristly etc...

Stop shaving now, no excuses like, get laser, or get waxing if the epilator is to bad for u. If you wax and only wax, the hair will get thinner and come back less often, i.e. if you went like a year or two with only waxing you would likely have very little hair there comparatively.

Alternatively just get a loan for laser, its likely an investment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

Maybe this would help. Probably not soon enough for your holiday though.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Smooth-Skin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know how you feel - I have so much body hair that I'm a GORILLA if it's keep unchecked. I'm 26 now and since I was about 18 I've been soooo conscious about my bikini line as well, always wearing shorts over bikini bottoms etc, even shying away from getting into relationships :(. Two months ago though I finally plucked up the courage to go to a salon and get it waxed though - for years before that I was way too embarrassed. Like other posters said, they've seen it all before :) Now I just go back every four weeks to get the regrowth waxed off. It's great, something so simple has made me soo much more confident. Wish I'd done it years ago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

muboop1 wrote: »
    You do realise that this problem is likely mainly your own doing?

I dont mean to come across as harsh, but the more often you shave the quicker the hair comes back and the more bristly etc.

Shaving doesn't make hair grow quicker, it does make it more bristly though.

Long term go with the laser treatment, if you can't get it in before the holidays, go for a wax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevalz

get a wax done nd use bio oil its brill dry exfoilate it removes ingrown hairs its lyk sandpapper for ur skin and try wax more den shave cos shaving darkins the hair waxin reduces it a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevalz

;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go get waxed, no matter how worried you are the beauty tech will have seen a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a problem with excessive body hair and was wondering if anyone can help with any practical solutions. Most of me is fine except my bikini line and underarms. I shave under my arms every day and there is still a black shadow. My bikini "line" is no line, I have to shave a good three inches either side down and get bumpy red spots and a black shadow. I am going on holidays and am going to a water park so I cant wear my sarong (I usually always cover up).
    I have an epilator but I tried it and it's too sore except on my legs. I am too scared and embarrassed to go to a salon. I have compared my bikini / underarms to my friends who admit mine is way worse! I can't afford laser and am going in a week anyway. I tried to wax myself before and it wouldn't come out. Veet doesn'ty get rid of it and leaves the black shadow. Any ideas how to minimise the pain of the epilator or are there any oither things I could do?
    I don't want to ruin my holiday but I will be thinking about it all the time and won't relax. I check other women out on the sly and none are like me

Aside from getting waxed, what about getting one of the short type bottoms to match your bikini ? They cover up a bit more in that area and might get you through the week without worrying too much about down there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Also, a lot of salons now have a new wax that honestly doesn't hurt a bit. I know a few salons in Dublin who have them, not sure if I can name names. But they're the sort fashionable ones in Dublin who do nothing but waxes all day long. I'd never even got my legs waxed, but went in there for a bikini one before a holiday and it was so easy! Really, do it before your holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

OP, i know it seems very scary going into a salon but its not trust me.

I remember my first time getting my legs and bikini done (I was a very hairy teenager and my mum was totally against shaving) and getting my mum to ask on the phone all these silly questions which were driving me mad. Things like wearing my own knickers and where exactly does a half leg stop over or under knees because i didnt want hairy knees, and should i take my pants off before or after they are in the room. My mum of course knew the answers but i wanted the salon ppl to make sure.

Things which were the things i was more worried about- etiquette if you will- than actually getting my bits out. Its only since then I have realised that I was a little gorilla-esque compared to my peers but just didnt realise in my naivety.And the salon didnt make me feel like i was strangely hairy either. You can ask them all your q's on the phone they have heard it all before. Alternatively there is a wealth of info online about what kind of shapes to get etc.

Gor for it! youll feel so much more confident!

Advertisement